1.    #1  
    The HP TouchPad requires its own high-current charger to recharge its battery. If you try to use the similar-looking but lower current Pre charger, the TouchPad charges very slowly or not at all. Unlike the Pre phones, the TouchPad also charges slowly from a PC's USB port.

Question: Do other pads (iPad and others) require special chargers? Or will they charge fully from USB ports and cellphone chargers?
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    The iPad definitely had a different charger than the iPhone.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    The TouchPad requires the Data lines to be bridged and set to ~ 2.7V with a potential divider comprising of a 240K pull-up and 300K pull-down resistor.

The Apple iPad Chargers have separate potential dividers putting 2.7V on the D- and 2.4V on the D+ lines. The impedances are much lower, being of the order of 51K.

The iPhone will charge from an iPad Charger but the iPad will not charge from an iPhone Charger.

The "generic" spec says that if the Data lines are bridged, then the appliance can draw up to 5Amps from the Charger. This is more than most chargers are capable of providing so be careful when connectiing your 'phone or 'Pad to an unapproved Charger.

There is more information available on these threads so post there if you need more detail:

Mains Chargers: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ompatible.html

Car Chargers: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...uchpad-14.html

Hope that helps....
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 01/02/2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Typos
    I believe you meant to type 5 WATTS, not AMPS. (or alternately 1 Amp, or 1000mA).
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    The iPad definitely had a different charger than the iPhone.
    The iPhone4 charger works with the iPad2, but my iPhone 3G charger -- which I keep at work -- does not. (However it did with my iPad1, and does with my iPhone4).