1.    #1  
    So I've had a Samsung Series 7 Slate for about a week and a half now, and the device is absolutely awesome, except for the build quality.

It's about the same thickness as the Touchpad (a little thinner), and about half a pound heavier. It is 16:9, which makes it a lot wider though.

Specs wise, it has a 1.6GHz Core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, a 128GB SSD, and a Wacom pen/touch digitizer. It goes without saying that it's faster than the Touchpad, but for visual evidence of (part of) the reason why I haven't used my Touchpad since I got the Samsung:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Md9hW9NzqY[/YT]

The Samsung loads in about 5 seconds, a site which takes a full minute on the Touchpad.

Just some thoughts on it... if you're in the market for a tablet and a laptop (as it is priced like a high-end laptop), you could do a lot worse than waiting to get Windows 8 on a future version of this. Obviously I don't know for sure how Windows 8 will turn out, but the developer preview shows hints of greatness on this thing.

That being said, the 16:9 aspect ratio is kind of crap on a tablet. In portrait, it's way too narrow to be useful. In landscape, it throws off the center of balance when holding in one hand.

The biggest downfall of all though is the build quality. There's a lot of reports of the glass/bezel raising from the plastic. Yes, the Touchpad has this too, but you do expect better quality for $1100-$1400. It also seems that the design of the dock puts further stress on the problem areas.

Not only that, but I'm having backlight issues where half of the LEDs backlighting the display intermittently go off (though it does come back after turning the display off and on again). And I also have an issue where the dock connection is having issues and audio intermittently gets a really robotic sounding distortion for a few seconds. Others have reported issues with the Ethernet and HDMI ports on the dock as well.

It's a complete shame, because I absolutely love the device, but I'm leaning towards getting a refund and waiting for the second generation version that is most likely coming at the end of next year with Windows 8. Hopefully that will have better build quality.
    SSD is the culprit why this device so expensive. But personally I don't like much Samsung tablet. Yes it is well design, and high specs. But talking about build quality material I don't like cheap plastic feel on samsung tablet. If I want to spend more the $1100 I hope tablet with fully solid rubber coated. Like on my Pre 3.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    But talking about build quality material I don't like cheap plastic feel on samsung tablet.
    Personally, I think that the materials used on this are much better than the stuff used on the Galaxy line. I would prefer a rubberized back or something, but this does have a really quality feeling 'brushed metal' texture on it.