1.    #1  
    I thought that I would give folks here my observations of the Nook Color (now available for ~$100-120 via eBay) vs. the HP Touchpad (at around $200-250 via eBay, or double that of the Nook Color).

I've had my Touchpad 32GB since early September, and love it. I gave my mom a 2nd Touchpad that we also snagged in the "firesale", and she loves hers as well.

The Touchpad was my "2nd" tablet, the 1st being a LOW end Pandigital 7" one (hacked to run Android 2.0), and AFTER installing PreWare, OC'ing it to 1.7Ghz, AND *most* of the hacks/mods that I have seen, it ROCKS.

I happen to think that WebOS is *VERY* elegant, and I really like the card view etc. And after downloading a few games, AND snagging like 95% of the "Free" Promo code apps, I have been very happy with my Touchpad.

Its a constant couch companion, and I use it whenever I travel for work to do almost everything I need, on the go (with the help of a 3G/4G Wifi Mifi).

But my Touchpad wasnt "perfect" for me.

Its CONS, to me, were:

a) Its weight/size.

No matter how you slice it, the Touchpad (thanks to its Touchstone/Inductive Charging system) is "heavy" especially when compared to an iPad 2 (at 1.33 pounds). The Touchpad comes in at around 2.2+ pounds, with even the featherlight HP case attached to it.

And the 10" screen, which I *love* when using it at home or on the road (from my wheeled Laptop bag) causes it not to fit into my (Winter) coat pocket.

b) APPS, APPS, APPS: I'm an Android PHONE user, and love my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S, rooted, with FULL AP Tether capability). I chose it over the iPhone 4 last year, and love my choice. Its much more customizable than the iPhone, and the number of Apps (especially FREE APPS, thru Amazon's App Of The Day) is fantastic.

I've been "collecting" the App's Of The Day for the last year, even when I haven't wanted/been able to use them on my phone, because I was hoping to be able to use them on a Tablet.

So last month, I managed to snag (and then immediately flip on eBay for a $100+ profit) a 7" BB Playbook 32GB unit. And just as that happened, the Nook Color became available on eBay, for ~$100, and since I wanted to try out a) a 7" tablet, b) CM7 before installing it on my TP, I got the Nook Color.

It took me about 30+ min to hack/root it, and install CM7.1 Stable, and the Google Apps pack (along with the Amazon App Store). Its now OC'ed at 1.2Ghz, and running CM7.1 which includes Bluetooth support, and has about 6GB of "usable" space on the "internal SD". Added a 16Gb MicroSD as the "external SD", and I was all set to start using it.

Its not "perfect" by any means, BUT wow is it NICE.

Most ~$100 7" Tablets that I looked at had screen resolutions of 800 x (600 or 480), and you are lucky if they are Capacitive.

The Nook Color has a 1024 x 600 IPS Capacitive screen. The 1024 width, to me, makes all the difference in the world as thats the same width as the Touchpad screen, and the minimal screen width to be able to have a web page render properly in "Desktop" view.

The "stock" settings on the Nook Color are 800Mhz, BUT once its OC'ed to 1.2Ghz with CM7, it is a WELL performing tablet. No stutters playing Videos (480p) or Youtube etc.

And my two "Cons" for the Touchpad have been addressed BEAUTIFULLY with the Nook Color.

SIZE: To take the Touchpad with me "on the go" meant that I had to either carry it in one hand, or put it into the Dell 10" Netbook bag that I got for it, and carry it that way. No way in H*LL would it fit into any of my coat/jacket pockets, and even if it did, at 2+ pounds, it would likely rip the pocket.

The Nook Color is literally HALF the size and HALF the weight of the Touchpad (weighed both using a precise kitchen scale) & very importantly for me, easily fits into my Winter Jacket/Coat pocket.

Dont get the wrong idea, the Touchpad has Bigger/Better/Faster HW (Screen, Processor, Battery, Speakers), but to me (since getting the Nook Color two weeks ago) the Touchpad is now the "big comfortable family Sedan with the V8" vs. the Nook Color being the "2 Seater with in-line 4, thats fun to take for a quick ride".

APPS, APPS, APPS:

First, on the record, CM7.1 isnt as elegant or integrated as WebOS 3.xx. But its not bad at all, and sings on the OC'ed Nook Color.

With the Getjar, Google and Amazon Markets installed, I went absolutely APP CRAZY.

Installed Dolphin Browser HD (think Advanced Browser ON STEROIDS, and FREE), set it to "Desktop" User Agent, and I was all set with browsing the web, with FULL Flash at 1024 x 600.

Installed about 40+ App's Of The Day, that I had "saved" from Amazon, including 2 Office Suites, for FREE.

Installed Tapatalk (ie for FREE from GetJar, along with a number of other FREE "Gold" Apps.

Installed all my "Live Wallpapers" (absolutely love that feature in Android).

And THEN (luckily for me) Google launched their "10 Days of Apps" selling Premium Apps for $0.10 cents each (about 20 different "Premium" apps, NICE ones, each day) for 10 days. I GLADLY spent about $1.50 a day for 10 days, and now have TONS of beautiful apps that I can explore on both the Nook Color and my Galaxy S, for the next year or more.

I love BOTH my tablets now.

The Touchpad will always have a place with me on my couch and when I am travelling for work, or when we are traveling long distance in the car, and I need to play a movie for the backseaters ($5 iPad Car movie case, from VZW).

But the Nook Color is 99% the one I am going to "grab on the go" especially when its a quick, in town trip.

(For example, hubby wanted me to go to the mall, for Christmas presents. Grabbed the Nook Color, stuck it in my coat pocket, and away we went. Got to the Mall. Turned tethering on, on my Galaxy S, and while she was browsing/shopping, I was (in full desktop mode) browsing PreCentral/WebOSNation, SlickDeals, NYTimes, etc, doing my emails, checking up on some eBay auctions, and playing some very nice Android games.

Any questions, let me know.
    So, why haven't you loaded CM7 onto the Touchpad? You don't lose webOS, as it becomes a dual-boot tablet.
    I had a Pandigital followed by a Nook Color w/CM7 and now a TouchPad and I completely agree. I find myself using my Nook as often as my TouchPad lately. I really like the 7 inch form factor and my app collection. It's great having both.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Nook Color CM7/Touchpad seems to be a fairly common combo. I've got 'em both, too. That being said, I go TP most of the time. The performance/reading experience just leans far too heavily on the side of the TP, and I only take my phone with me when I go out. As far as getting any work done, again, it's just easier and quicker to use a 10" tablet which performs like a laptop as opposed to a 7" jumped up e-reader.

But I'm a big guy, and weight means very little to me. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlo100 View Post
    But I'm a big guy, and weight means very little to me...
    Show off!!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    So, why haven't you loaded CM7 onto the Touchpad? You don't lose webOS, as it becomes a dual-boot tablet.
    a) Because its an "Alpha" (will probably dual-boot once it gets to beta),

b) because its CM7, and because many of my apps/games are "phone optimized", I wasnt sure how they would look/play.

c) I like having WebOS and all my WebOS apps available, while at the same time having CM7 and all my Android apps on the Nook Color, on demand. Dual-boot still means a 2-5 min "reboot" time each time I want to switch. (I like instant gratification).

Here's a question, for those that have "Dual Booted": Does the Android Market recognize the Touchpad, and what apps will it NOT let you install?

I found that under CM7/NC, during the 10 Days of Apps, there were a few Honeycomb/Tablet specific apps the Market wouldnt even let me buy, let alone install.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    a) Because its an "Alpha" (will probably dual-boot once it gets to beta),
    Means very little... Alpha 3.5 is quite stable and fully functional. Not to mention other builds have started popping up and we will get ICS before it ever goes "beta"
    Looked at permissions for those android apps and it looks like many are taking data from texts, browsing habits, contacts, locations, machine IDs etc and sending it over the internet (to advertisers?), perhaps even when the apps are closed. It was quite bewildering coming from webOS. And creepy.

Installing android on the TouchPad means an increase of many folders in the media/internal directory. Much more confusing to find files.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Looked at permissions for those android apps and it looks like many are taking data from texts, browsing habits, contacts, locations, machine IDs etc and sending it over the internet (to advertisers?), perhaps even when the apps are closed. It was quite bewildering coming from webOS. And creepy.

Installing android on the TouchPad means an increase of many folders in the media/internal directory. Much more confusing to find files.
    You keep saying this, and yet...the permissions are there precisely for you to make an informed decision as to whether or not you want to grant them by choosing whether or not to download the app.

Transparency is a beautiful thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    Here's a question, for those that have "Dual Booted": Does the Android Market recognize the Touchpad, and what apps will it NOT let you install?

I found that under CM7/NC, during the 10 Days of Apps, there were a few Honeycomb/Tablet specific apps the Market wouldnt even let me buy, let alone install.
    Well, as far as I can discern, if a developer specifies "Honeycomb", then you can't download it. If they specify "Tablet" without a specific Android version, you can. Based on the $0.10 app sale I was able to determine this more or less between my Touchpad and Photon 4G.

And then you have region restrictions based on content licensing, etc (like webOS or any other mobile OS, for that matter).

That said, I haven't run into really any showstoppers.
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    You keep saying this, and yet...the permissions are there precisely for you to make an informed decision as to whether or not you want to grant them by choosing whether or not to download the app.

Transparency is a beautiful thing.
    Yes, the permissions are so rampant and so beyond the scope of most apps that I was taken aback. Excluding apps that ask for permissions beyond their scope of use, leaves about 3 of the 50-60 apps I looked at during the Google 10 cent promotion, making webOS a much more usable (and safe) operating system.
    This was implied in what I was saying earlier, but now made explicit.
    I was noticing that the Google Market app requires access to your SMS messages, location, Near Field Comm, and several other vaguely offensive things. Really?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I was noticing that the Google Market app requires access to your SMS messages, location, Near Field Comm, and several other vaguely offensive things. Really?
    Yes. When you load Google Market the app will spam your contacts with pricy SMS messages telling them your location and other invasive items about you...

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Yes, they sell the information to advertisers. I saw a slide somewhere (xda developers? android central. com) that was chock-full of logos for advertisers receiving this type of information, I thought at least 50-60 different players (search for it)