Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've had cyanogenmod latest alpha installed for a few weeks now so it has given me an opportunity to learn android. I've had an IPod touch for a few years so I know what apps are all about. While this alpha is still quite buggy it has made my decision to dump webOS once ice cream sandwich is out. And here is why.

Dolphin browser simply rocks. I honestly can't deal with the webOS browser that has basically NO options.

Apps. Need I say more. I can't live without Mint, dolphin, MX video player (which plays any video u can throw at it flawlessly unlike touchplayer) . Offline newsreaders like AP News, Google Current, and BBC News (the only way to read webOS USA today offline is to keep it open in a card. One u close it, it's gone. Lets see, the phone app is great at collecting all your contacts from many accounts and calling them via Skype or Google voice or emailing or SMS or Facebook messaging all from within the phone app. Truly awesome.

Want some more? How about voice dial and voice search. Awesome. Ebuddy, yea I can now chat with my MSN friends. Grindr. Bank apps, forum apps.

So those of u who say its not about apps and that all I need is a browser and an email client for a tablet, WRONG!!!!! Its all about apps and webOS doesn't have them.

Other things where android succeeds. The keyboard and word suggestions is much better. It's so much easier to type.

No lags. Android has yet to hang for 3 seconds like weOS. Yeah the problem is the software and not the hardware.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Android isn't perfect. This apha crashes quite a bit and is full of bugs. But hopefully the final will be stable. I also hate the way it uses wallpaper. But still, come ice cream sandwich, webOS will be history to me.

Now, if webOS only had apps.........
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    All good points; won't argue with any of them. If you're into tweaking, tons of apps, and using your phone for everything you can possibly imagine, then Android is and excellent choice.

For my part, I tried Android and iOS. They're cool, but I'm just getting tired of all the extra 'fluff'. I don't know, maybe it's all a part of getting older. There is far more grey in my beard and hair now than the darker color that once lived there.

'Beautiful simplicity.' To me, that's where WebOS excels like no other. I can text, email, make calls, update Twitter, check Facebook, and find my destination with maps, all with an elegance that simply doesn't exist (yet) on the other platforms. For folks like me, I really don't need 100,000 apps. Five or six do me just fine.

To each his own, though. If Android gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling - then heck, go for it! As for me, I'll just quietly enjoy my Pre3 in the shadows.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    TimN2 likes this.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    agreed. My webos devices fit this aging old man just fine! I've tried the new iphone and androids, they just don't seem right after using webos now. I couldn't stand any of them compared to webos for some reason. Why? I do not know, yet.
    Creepy Wonka - so webos is dead and android is better let me drop everythin

You know what I would do if I were you. Sell any webos devices I have, delete this account, and go join android central/ TiPB. Problem solved.

Ive had enough of the "APPS APPS APPS ANDROID IOS FTW LAG OMG TOUCHPAD SUCKS LAWL OMG" posts since the firesale.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

somline, Rnp, yellowhammer and 7 others like this.
    Just a question: if webOS is so, so, so bad... what are you still doing here?

Please, don't lose your time, you can find thousands of AndroForuns where you can help somebody. You are better than this.

Androlovers are the other side of Appleboys's coin...

Sorry if I'm bitter... I only like a better and simple PIM...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    ArchonAdvisors and treodoc755 like this.
    You should try the Xron mod of CM7.1

A lot of fixes have been implemented to the point where battery life is acceptable and wifi issues are minimal.

I also recommend installing Task Changer from the Market. It'll give you swipe to app switch capabilities. I do a swipe from the left zone to alt-tab (something I wish WebOS didn't lose when transitioning from Pre to Touchpad) and a swipe from the right zone to bring up the running apps.
    Thread is a candiate for the http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pal...ll-thread.html
    Android is such a beautiful intuitive OS. I love the back button. I wish you all the best with ICS. It's so different and so much better. With ICS you actually can close an app by swiping. Incredible.
    While some of these points are good, I cant agree with everything.

I have had zero issues with Kalemsoft Video player on webOS, it plays everything, flawlessly. Ive never had an issue.

There are several offline readers for webOS. Pressreader is one.

So some apps are missing, but you really did not pick good ones as examples.

Grindr on a tablet? are you gonna lug your tablet around the rainbow district? That would look pretty silly.

Also, there are several options for having msn on the Touchpad. With Mundu IM I have MSN and Facebook Chat on my touchpad.

Advanced Browser is pretty good, I dont know what else you would need in a broser honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    I've had cyanogenmod latest alpha installed for a few weeks now so it has given me an opportunity to learn android. I've had an IPod touch for a few years so I know what apps are all about. While this alpha is still quite buggy it has made my decision to dump webOS once ice cream sandwich is out. And here is why.

Dolphin browser simply rocks. I honestly can't deal with the webOS browser that has basically NO options.

Apps. Need I say more. I can't live without Mint, dolphin, MX video player (which plays any video u can throw at it flawlessly unlike touchplayer) . Offline newsreaders like AP News, Google Current, and BBC News (the only way to read webOS USA today offline is to keep it open in a card. One u close it, it's gone. Lets see, the phone app is great at collecting all your contacts from many accounts and calling them via Skype or Google voice or emailing or SMS or Facebook messaging all from within the phone app. Truly awesome.

Want some more? How about voice dial and voice search. Awesome. Ebuddy, yea I can now chat with my MSN friends. Grindr. Bank apps, forum apps.

So those of u who say its not about apps and that all I need is a browser and an email client for a tablet, WRONG!!!!! Its all about apps and webOS doesn't have them.

Other things where android succeeds. The keyboard and word suggestions is much better. It's so much easier to type.

No lags. Android has yet to hang for 3 seconds like weOS. Yeah the problem is the software and not the hardware.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Android isn't perfect. This apha crashes quite a bit and is full of bugs. But hopefully the final will be stable. I also hate the way it uses wallpaper. But still, come ice cream sandwich, webOS will be history to me.

Now, if webOS only had apps.........
    steffej3 likes this.
    I wasn't going to reply, because it's hardly worth the breath. The tone of the OP isn't one of objective review...it's more of an in your face neener neener ha ha conjecture. So, this isn't so much a reply to the OP, but to the room. It’s called hijacking a thread and I don’t feel bad doing it in this case.

I'm a fan of options. I have an iPad 2, a TouchPad, and dual boot to CM7. I have a few needs that are met by having CM7 & it enhances my experience with the TouchPad. I boot into it at least once a day, but it's typically not for very long, maybe 10% of my usage.

MY preference for boot is the exact opposite of OP. There is something to be said for clean & simple, and IMO CM7 is not...and not by a long shot. I know I'll get torched for saying this (2nd time on this forum), but I actually prefer the iOS task management to Android's. At least on the iPad I don't usually feel like there are rogue apps & processes running all over the place, assaulting my battery, privacy, and more. I spend more time in CM7 trying to manage that than just simply enjoying the device & its apps.

Also, free & plentiful apps are fine, but you pay for that by being swarmed with ads. I can hardly let my children use the TouchPad while in CM7 because they click that stuff & it makes the app vanish & takes them either to a web page or the marketplace. In many cases, there aren't even paid options to avoid the ads. Even if I lock down the marketplace, it makes no difference, my 2 & 3 year old can't easily get back to their app. They figured out pressing the home button, then clicking the square to go back to apps, then finding their game or story...but it really degrades the experience & a lot of times they get ****ed. Even going that route or the press-hold, a lot of times a game or app won’t actually take you back to where you were. Anyway, dead horse, wasted breath, etc.

Anyway, I enjoy what Android has to offer, but I don’t go trolling Android Central, XDA, or iOS forums professing my preference for webOS. Not to mention there are a number of apps & solutions for the ‘shortfalls’ you discuss, which is an even larger reason your post should be filed away in a dark dark place. If your average Joe comes by and reads this after getting a shiny new TouchPad, they likely believe this nonsense and assume there aren’t apps or solutions in place for what you discuss, and I’m not talking using homebrew, I’m talking simple solutions. It may cost a few bucks here & there, but I’d gladly support quality solutions over quantity of solutions, and I appreciate a largely ad free experience.

Wow, why did I waste my time? From now on I’m going to steal something from another forum I frequent, unrelated to mobile tech. It’s simply an ‘h’. I liken posting that to the guy who always responds with ‘cool story bro’. Same concept. Cheers, and enjoy your new world. I’ll second the 'to each his own' remark, but don’t come here with that misinformation & tone & expect to be cheered by the masses…or wait, maybe you were expecting posts like this so you could sound off more…there’s a word for that….
    Last edited by steffej3; 12/13/2011 at 01:45 PM.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    treodoc755 and namgod like this.
    Excuse me, and that is completely objective:
    Your post is very hard to read with only 2 paragraphs.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Excuse me, and that is completely objective:
    Your post is very hard to read with only 2 paragraphs.
    I'm assuming this was to me. It wasn't two paragraphs initially. I changed it the second I saw it post like that. It was a copy/paste formatting issue from my PC. I won't hold it against you. Cheers.

bldegle2 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I'm assuming this was to me. It wasn't two paragraphs initially. I changed it the second I saw it post like that. It was a copy/paste formatting issue from my PC. I won't hold it against you. Cheers.
    Thanks, much better. Now I will read it.
    There is no free lunch. You are paying for all those pretty Android apps by letting them have access to your phone messages, text messages, phone ID--what have you (depending on the app). While they have placated users with those pretty blocks you can make buildings with, they are opening up your computer "drawers" and sending your information over the internet to one or many advertising companies. Hell, you don't even have to open the app, you've already given it permission once you've downloaded it.

This feels creepy to me. I'll take webOS any day.
    Turned out I liked it.
    Everybody can take his decision. I can't understand how someone honestly can say that android is better than webOS. I mean the OS.
    I know that android has some really fine apps that webOS hasn't. I have android installed on my TP.
    It's always good to have choices (you don't have that in iOS/except jailbreak)
    lar3ry likes this.
    farewell , you can come back when you get fed up with the malware, restricted and limited access for modification. (unless you know how to build a complete rom) you have to use whatever they put on the rom like it or not . And of course nothing does multitasking like webOS . So take your toys and go on . We'll be waiting for you when you get back . Thanks , do come again .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I don't like this "f@nb@y" stuff here. Everyone can express his opinions.
    And I love to have android on my TP even though I only boot into it to check for updates.
    There are good apps for android which we don't have.
    But if you are honest, android is ugly and inconsistent.
    It's such a relieve to be back on webOS.
    And what I have seen from ICS, it's not so much better.
    steffej3 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    farewell , you can come back when you get fed up with the malware, restricted and limited access for modification. (unless you know how to build a complete rom) you have to use whatever they put on the rom like it or not . And of course nothing does multitasking like webOS . So take your toys and go on . We'll be waiting for you when you get back . Thanks , do come again .
    Shadavis08 brings up a very good point. Cool that there are custom roms out there, but it was like being moved from one cell to another when I installed the xron version. It gave me some luxuries in the way of bug fixes & UI improvement, but because of restrictions I quickly reverted back to my original CM7 install. The custom version reduced some UI fuctionality in a few minor areas & locked down a ton of apps that I had zero use for. I couldn't delete them, so I was at the mercy of what the builder chose in exchange for a handful of improvements. For me it wasn't worth it.

Now, this is in no way a slam on the rom or the developer. It was very nice work, but the whole idea jives with notion that it's not such a free world after all.

I have a Pre-, then got a Galaxy Tab (original) back in June, and TP back in Sept. Needless to say, I love webOS; I only got Galaxy b/c it was only $200 (refurb ATT one). It sat there for months and I barely touched it. I just could not use Gingerbread... and on top of that, ATT bloatware. Ugh. When you go from webOS to other OS', the first thing that baffles you is, "why can't I switch in and out of apps easily?" It's boggling why it must be so much more effort on the part of the user to do this.

That said...

I installed CM7 on Galaxy last month. I pick up this tablet a lot more now. Like A LOT more. It's vanilla gingerbread, no bloatware, and except for some nagging bugs, it's completely usable. I had to get used to it and it's not as easy to use as webOS, but it's usable. The Amazon market free app a day thing is really nice. Everyday, I'm downloading a new free app.

To me, it's all about the apps.

Once you're using the app, who really cares what the OS behind it is or how intuitive is. When I'm using Dolphin browser or Facebook or playing Fruit Ninja, I'm emersed in the app. Yeah, it sucks to switch back and forth (even with decent 3rd party task switchers) but again, it's all about apps. UI/OS is secondary... at least that's the conclusion I've come to. That's just how I feel now.

I was initially repulsed by the idea of the Touchdroid team porting android to TP. It almost felt as if I (webOS) was being violated... but you know what, I'm glad CM7 is out there for TP now. It opens up a lot of options and as webOS users, that's one thing we really never have. And I'm actually pretty excited about ICS, though I'm not ready to give up on webOS just yet. Just recently got my 6th Pre (refurb) so that should last me another 3-6 months. I really hope open sourcing takes off and will shock us all. The webOS die hards have been beaten down so much, we deserve a little positive.
    dignitary likes this.
    The custom version reduced some UI fuctionality in a few minor areas & locked down a ton of apps that I had zero use for. I couldn't delete them, so I was at the mercy of what the builder chose in exchange for a handful of improvements. For me it wasn't worth it.
    This is wrong and if you had actually taken a real look then you would have known that. Xron INCLUDES Titanium Backup which allows you to uninstall all the extra apps that were bundled.

I also challenge you to list out that "reduced UI functionality" that wasn't just a bug or a misunderstanding.
    dignitary likes this.
    See Post #1. Never understood the logic, other than possibly attention seeking, of folks berating an OS in that OS's forum. If you don't like it fine, but obviously most of us like it, or we wouldn't be here.
    All for One and One for All!
    treodoc755 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast