Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
Like Tree34Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    .
    This is a quality post, and I share nearly all of your sentiment. If this had been the OP, I would never have felt compelled to write a mini novel. lol.

    To your point, the Amazon app a day & the .10 Marketplace promotion are wonderful.

    On apps, I pretty much agree 100%. That said, the task switching is monumental to my experience & precisely why I won't run forums, twitter, readers, and Reddit on CM7. There is something to be said for the ease of use when I am running Communities, Email, Glimpse/Macaw/or Graphite, NomNomNom, and Excavate. I am constantly moving back & forth & having them visible in a window as I swipe is huge. I can't get past not having quick visibility to that in Android & iOS & it's a huge reason webOS dominates my casual time.
    Last edited by steffej3; 12/13/2011 at 02:53 PM.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    This is wrong and if you had actually taken a real look then you would have known that. Xron INCLUDES Titanium Backup which allows you to uninstall all the extra apps that were bundled.

    I also challenge you to list out that "reduced UI functionality" that wasn't just a bug or a misunderstanding.
    well this was this persons experience not your experience , so how is it wrong . There is no right or wrong . Does not matter if it was a bug or not . That was the what happened to them .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    somline likes this.
  3. Heist's Avatar
    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #23  
    I tried the CM7 Mod for a few days.
    In the end, I stayed with WebOS (tweaked).

    WebOS is much smoother and better visually then Android. App support on WebOS is sparse but I didn't buy this device to be a laptop replacement or workhorse.
    ArchonAdvisors and levinite like this.
  4. #24  
    I had my Pre- for over 2 years, held on as long as I could. Finally built a FrankenPre2, and I loved it. Then work went and got me a phone, so off to Android I went. I really wanted to avoid it, but now that I have an android phone, the only thing I truly miss is my Touchstone.
    However, I will hang on to my Touchpad, and I dont think I'll put Android on it, just so I keep some WebOS in my life!
    ArchonAdvisors and dignitary like this.
  5. #25  
    Why all the hate for IOS or Android?
    dignitary likes this.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    Why all the hate for IOS or Android?
    what you talkin bout Willis ?? I don't see no hate .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    This is wrong and if you had actually taken a real look then you would have known that. Xron INCLUDES Titanium Backup which allows you to uninstall all the extra apps that were bundled.

    I also challenge you to list out that "reduced UI functionality" that wasn't just a bug or a misunderstanding.
    I'm not sure why the attack. I liked the rom & gave it a chance. I could not figure out how to remove the bundled apps & spent a ton of time trying to figure it out on my own. If I can, I try not to waste people's time if I can troubleshoot on my own & find I learn quite a bit by doing so. It helps me when I have real questions to ask. Again, why the attack? They did good work, but the suggestion you make just lends credibility to my view that it's not a clean & intuitive environment. I could delete anything new I put on there via the usual press/hold method & I couldn't for the bundled stuff...so yeah, it was frustrating.

    I worked with some of the people from Android Central on an issue I had where after installation I had 5 separate reboots using the xron environment. It turned out it was some sort of bug with the timing of the screen sleep mode. Once I moved it from 1 minute to something like 30, I didn't have the reboots anymore. Regardless, that bug wasn't well documented & the reason for its occurance wasn't fully understood. To me that indicated to me a level of instability I wasn't comfortable with.

    As for UI, in CM7 raw build I had the Advanced ADW, organized pages, and a slick looking interface. I removed bloatware, customized settings, tweaked task killing, etc. In xron I spent an entire evening trying to recreate that general organization & environment & finally concluded I preferred the raw build. I spent a ton of time in the settings trying to figure out things I had only just recently familiarized myself with in the standard CM7 UI & I couldn't accomplish those same things in xron (in an intuitive manner to me - maybe I'm just dumb...but wait, I know that's not the case). For those reasons I felt it reduced UI fuction for me & that the benefit didn't outweigh the benefits of the raw build for me.

    Is that fair? Don't insinuate I didn't make a run at this. I'm not here to slam Android, as I stated in this thread & many others, I really love that I have the option to install it & I think it greatly enhances the TouchPad to have those options. Heck, I just identified with another poster on what exactly a constructive post on the matter looks like. Even if I end up having a preference for ICS over webOS someday, I certainly wouldn't feel compelled to come here and pop off on why I would dump another platform. Fact of the matter is, I'll keep using all 3 mobile platforms I have, as I see benefits in all of them. If you have options & those options do what you need them to, what the flip does it matter? Be constructive here.

    So, observation, but if I had posted this about some shortcoming in webOS, there would almost always be a handful of forum contributors who would chime in to help out. Your suggestion about Titanium Backup would have been very welcome if you'd approached it as informative to the user, which in this case you did not. I have no idea what Titanium Backup even is. Is there any reason to believe a random Android beginner would somehow know how or why to use this? I mean, why not offer some helpful tips rather than attacking my post? If I'm wrong, I'd be more than happy to work through that in a thread like this so that it can help others who may have the same issue.

    I use Android everyday, but in my short experience it is hardly incorrect to state that roms dictate your environment in a way in which is not custom to you, but to the maintainer. I loved having the option to try it out & felt the dev did a nice job with it. Just wasn't my flavor. Gotta run, or it will be another long weekend at the office for me (procrastination).
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  8. #28  
    Ohmytvc15, you should totally abandon all hope for your Touchpad and sell it to me before it's too late. Why even have that nasty nasty webOS gunking up the works along side what is a buggy version of your Android bliss anyway, right? I'll extend you the standard offer of 50 big ones to take that touchpad off your hands so you can spend it towards a dedicated Android tablet that youll wanna cuddle with for ever and ever.
  9. #29  
    Sure there's pros and cons either side, but as the owner and user of a 7" Android tablet as well as the TP, I really notice a big difference with the maintenance overhead which seems to come with Android. There's always something to be done to keep it going, and I groan when I see messages like "there are 20 apps to be updated" and the memory juggle begins. The TP just, well, works, and the underlying OS never become an impediment. At the end of the day perhaps it does come down to apps, but if there was an app that would run on either, I'd tend to use it on the TP rather than Android. Personally. YMMV etc.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    Why all the hate for IOS or Android?
    No hate, I love all my devices. Where did you get that from?
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well this was this persons experience not your experience , so how is it wrong . There is no right or wrong . Does not matter if it was a bug or not . That was the what happened to them .
    It's wrong because he claimed it wasn't possible to remove when it was. This isn't opinion.

    Things like ADW aren't even part of Android and just happens to be an app that was bundled. It's still available free on the Market for that matter.


    I'm not sure why the attack. I liked the rom & gave it a chance. I could not figure out how to remove the bundled apps & spent a ton of time trying to figure it out on my own. If I can, I try not to waste people's time if I can troubleshoot on my own & find I learn quite a bit by doing so. It helps me when I have real questions to ask. Again, why the attack? They did good work, but the suggestion you make just lends credibility to my view that it's not a clean & intuitive environment. I could delete anything new I put on there via the usual press/hold method & I couldn't for the bundled stuff...so yeah, it was frustrating.
    I said you were wrong but if that's considered an attack then I apologize.

    Nonetheless I don't retract what I said since the first thing people would have told you is to just use Titanium Backup to remove it. This is one of the main reasons why people even bother to root on other Android phones; so they can used Titanium Backup to uninstall carrier-apps.

    Not that it really matters in this case since those apps that were added wouldn't have done anything even if you didn't uninstall them. The added apps don't take up a lot of space or resources.
    Last edited by chronoreverse; 12/13/2011 at 03:07 PM.
  12. #32  
    Too sad thus discussions always go so far.
    Last word from me and I'm out of here:
    I worked with xda developers to port something like Dr.Battery to android and that wasn't easy. I like the devs over there.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    It's wrong because he claimed it wasn't possible to remove when it was. This isn't opinion.

    Things like ADW aren't even part of Android and just happens to be an app that was bundled. It's still available on the Market for that matter.
    its not wrong because he wasn't able to delete them . Dude , if he was able to delete it would ha e been done and well ... He couldn't . Pretty simple if you ask me . Lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    It's wrong because he claimed it wasn't possible to remove when it was. This isn't opinion.

    Things like ADW aren't even part of Android and just happens to be an app that was bundled. It's still available on the Market for that matter.
    I respectfully beg to differ on your remark:

    Originally Posted by chronoreverse
    ...if you had actually taken a real look then you would have known that.


    It was absolutely opinion based when you implied that I hadn't actually taken a real look at it. In fact I did, an entire evening, and was unable to intuitively find answers. In the same UI I could button press and delete my self installed apps as I did in the raw version. In this UI I couldn't do so with the bundled stuff. Most of it I didn't care much about, but there were a few items, like facebook, that I didn't want occupying any space on my TouchPad. Nor did I want the twitter app, etc.

    Try tact & constructive help. It goes a long way. I'll chill out on assuming this was an attack. Water under the bridge.
    Last edited by steffej3; 12/13/2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: cleaned it up
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  15. #35  
    !! Gotta love em !!
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 12/13/2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: edited to be fair and nice .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I respectfully beg to differ on your remark:

    It was absolutely opinion based when you attacked the idea that I hadn't actually taken a real look at it. In fact I did, an entire evening, and was unable to intuitively find answers. In the same UI I could button press and delete my self installed apps as I did in the raw version. In this UI I couldn't.

    Try tact & constructive help. It goes a long way.
    I see, my tone was definitely harsh. I'll need to work on that.


    Anyway, all you had to do was ask "how do I remove this" in the thread where you downloaded Xron and it would have been told to you immediately. In fact, the first post also mentions other ways you can remove the apps if you really wanted to get rid of them.



    In the end, It's not really about "intuitive" when there were plenty of things that weren't intuitive until it was explained. I mean, is it actually intuitive that an upward swipe from the bottom would open card view (in WebOS)? I've let many people play with my Touchpad and a none of them ever figured that out. None ever figured out how to close the cards either by tossing them.

    For that matter, why should a user even have to toss away card to close them and recover resources. An app should just release resources and then when I go back to it, resume from where I left it all as automatically as possible.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Too sad thus discussions always go so far.
    Last word from me and I'm out of here:
    I worked with xda developers to port something like Dr.Battery to android and that wasn't easy. I like the devs over there.
    Sorry Someline. I took the bait & at one point swore to myself I'd avoid all of these types of posts at all costs. I just wish people would approach competing technologies like these as mutually beneficial to the end user. We aren't the ones trying to bankrupt each other & dominate marketshare, so why shouldn't we enjoy all that's available to us? I don't get the logic behind limiting ones options by 'dumping' a platform publicly.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Rnp likes this.
  18. #38  
    I only like webOS and that all I will ever like , and yet if someone else like Is , well that their business . Lol I don't mind at all . But please don't come here to our forums and start an argument and make assumptions bout stuff you couldn't possibly know about other people . Thats all I ask . I don't even leave this web site cept for webroundup .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    .
    Yeah, give me a chance to explain in short. That was one reason of the several that I didn't stick with xron. Sure there were answers if I spent more time with it, but the instability with reboots was far more troubling to me. While the issue was given a quick fix workaround, it wasn't sufficient to calm my fears about the environment I was in. At that point, any additional time I would have spent asking questions about it, was moot. I was ready to go back to default. I also know well and good that ICS is right around the corner & made the decision to save my time & for now utilize an environment I tweaked to my liking.

    My biggest issue is battery life on CM7 (part of the reason I tried xron), and unfortunately, even with asking for help & following the advice of many others, I've yet to get to a point where the battery life is at an acceptable standard. I haven't given up, I try a few new things each day.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  20. #40  
    Guys, it's getting a bit too drippy in here...
    steffej3 likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions