Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Enjoy.

Writer says at the end:
    However, if I knew long ago what I know now about the TouchPad going into the purchase, I gladly would have spent much more than I did.

Three Months, Three Tablets, One Winner | SideQuesting | We Love Videogames!

Makes me sad too
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/03/2011 at 03:17 AM.
    nrthwds and fxspec06 like this.
    interesting also, given all the griping about the browser:
    Web browser. As I mentioned earlier, tablets are small web browsing devices for me, and the WebOS browser is phenomenal. It is the best non-PC web browsing experience I have had. The lack of website apps doesn’t matter as I can visit any page with no troubles.
    My experience so far generally matches that author's.
    cobrakon likes this.
    4. CyanogenMod. I was set to get rid of the TouchPad, or simply let it sit uncharged for the rest of its existence. Then, at the end of October the CyanogenMod community got their **** all the way together and released an alpha build of Android 2.3 for the TouchPad. After some reassurances from one John Noonan, I took the thirty minutes required to apply the mod. Running as a dual-boot OS makes it incredible. At any time, I can boot into Android or WebOS depending what I want or need to do.

[...]

The TouchPad was up next. My familiarity and comfort with Android and my enjoyment of some WebOS apps made me want to keep the thing around. Especially with the low price.
    tl;dr: Android CM7 dual-booting is what sealed the deal for him.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    Sure and he didnt pick the Xoom or buy some other android tablet
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    So who wins in this scenario?
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    So you draw the conclusion that the last reason he listed was the one that sealed the deal from him? Fixate much?

He specifically said "enjoyment of webos apps" - and listed 3 things that webos does better than any other platform (to him, anyway). He really only mentioned CM7 as a factor in why he'd take the TouchPad over the Xoom, not why he chose it over the iPad2.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    why would you direct me to read such a bad review? The guy doesn't even know the Touchpad and webOS.
    thanks, I thought that was a great little review.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    why would you direct me to read such a bad review? The guy doesn't even know the Touchpad and webOS.
    Because this is the experience of most people. They don't know webOS and this guy didn't either but the platform won him over with use even though he was an android fan at the beginning. And he had an open mind, no axe to grind except his own enjoyment and use. Just as the platform won us over two years ago with the intro of the Pre. For my money, this is a very strong testimonial.
    Last edited by bluenote; 11/30/2011 at 08:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I had the fire sale tp for a month and never would have paid $500 for it. So he's saying he would have paid $500 for a tablet that's never going to see a major update or apps? He's crazy.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    I had the fire sale tp for a month and never would have paid $500 for it. So he's saying he would have paid $500 for a tablet that's never going to see a major update or apps? He's crazy.

He said much more. At a 99 price or even 150, much more could be 250-300, which is what the TouchPad has been selling for months on eBay.So all those buyers are...crazy?

He didn't say he'd gladly buy it at full original price. He made the statement in context of the fact that the firesale prices are not the current going rate - and that he would gladly pay more than he paid (firesale price) to have one if he did not have his already and knew what he knows now about how much he likes it.

In effect he was saying, "...it's worth what the going rate is today - to him."

Also the Android support was a big deal to him - so was the cost. He was able to jettison about $800 in tablets and have a useful device that does what he needs. How could he avoid happiness at that point?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Right...because the TouchPad was $139. Not because it was technically better (spec wise) or the webOS experience was better.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    So you draw the conclusion that the last reason he listed was the one that sealed the deal from him? Fixate much?

He specifically said "enjoyment of webos apps" - and listed 3 things that webos does better than any other platform (to him, anyway). He really only mentioned CM7 as a factor in why he'd take the TouchPad over the Xoom, not why he chose it over the iPad2.
    Well he specifically said the app store was pathetic but that there were two apps he enjoyed and felt worthwhile to mention. Then he listed 3 things he believes the TouchPad does better based on what he's used on other platforms. One of them being a freaking solitaire app, which shows you how far he had to go to reach for things it does better.
    dignitary likes this.
    Why are so many trying to read that comparison to mean webOS and the touchpad really just suck, but hey it was cheapest so he kept it?

The only thing he doesn't seem to like about the TouchPad is the limited app selection, which at this point is largely a function of HP cancelling the product over 3 months ago just 7 weeks after launch. That concern, and the concern about future support (which is also a result of HP cancelling the product), are both ameliorated by being able to load Android. The article is clear though that he prefers to use webOS when possible, and certainly also implies (without directly saying so) that if HP manages to do something to improve the app and future support situation he'd gladly remove Android.

Notice also that he declared that even if he kept the fabled iPad, the killer of all things not iPad, that he would use it only as a second tablet. That has nothing to do with the price of the individual tablets, since once they've been paid for the original cost has nothing to do with which device you prefer (other than perhaps psycologically: "I paid $500 for this so I'm damned well going to like it the most or my money was wasted!"); he gave up the iPad because for the price it wasn't worth having as a second tablet, not because he wished he could use the iPad as his primary tablet but couldn't afford it and had to settle for the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I planed on getting my touchpad and either selling it if I hated it or install android. I ended up falling in love with webos. I actually enjoy it mainly due to it's card system and web browsing experience. Yes, I like it over my family's ipad.

I decided to install cm7 alpha 3 and was very disappointed so I'll stick with webos for now.

That being said, I will never get it at the Ebay/Craigslist rate though.

Uh, you DO know webOS was updated *since* the death announcement right? You do also realize that more *big name* apps have been released SINCE the death announcement ans now sits at over 1000 when it launched with 305.

:ThumbsDown:
    johncc likes this.
    i can't stand the negativity in here. it's ridiculous

you should be ashamed of yourselves
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    i can't stand the negativity in here. it's ridiculous

you should be ashamed of yourselves
    I completely agree with you! This is a great article and great review from a normal guy without any prejudice. He likes the touchpad and chose the touchpad for what it does and the great os. I guess people can see what they want. If you think negative all the time that is all you will see. I like to see the positive since I love my touchpad.

I wish you negative people would understand that hp knows how so many of you feel. I am sure they will take that into consideration when making their decision to dump it or not. I would rather tell them I love the touchpad instead of griping about what I don't like No tablet is perfect. You want it all and can't have it all so you complain. That is not how life goes. If you hate it so much why do you keep using it? Ridiculous and you should be ashamed as the previous post says.
    Not to pile on the negativity, but isn't it water under the bridge now that reviews of the next generation of android tablets are coming out and it's only a matter of time before the ipad3 is announced?

Not only that, but the Xoom was kinda seen as the red-headed stepchild of the first-gen honeycomb tablets. I wouldn't think too many people would choose that as "the" tablet to represent android.

YMMV.

-Suntan
    dignitary likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast