Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Best Buy claims to regrets in stocking Playbook & TouchPad when the first were introduced.

See link.

Take care,

Jay

No Regrets From Best Buy on Stocking RIM PlayBook
    By REUTERS

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Big-box electronics retailer Best Buy has no regrets about stocking Research In Motion's PlayBook tablet, despite the product's poor reception and subsequent sharp discounting.

The BlackBerry maker relied heavily on retailers like Best Buy and Office Depot to sell its response to Apple's iPad, but it has barely dented Apple's dominance of the tablet market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    As opposed to having Touchpads on the shelves? Wow what smack in the face.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Forget Best Buy. There will come a day in the not too distant future when they fade away as the last of the big brick and mortar electronics retailers. E-tailers like Amazon will eventually make them obsolete, and at some point in time they will find themselves no longer be able to compete on price or volume and still make a profit. It's just inevitable. They better enjoy their "influence" on the marketplace while they still can...
    Sounds like a former disgruntled BB employee...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Sounds like a former disgruntled BB employee...
    Just someone who has had too many unsatisfactory experiences with their largely smug, uninformed sales staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    Forget Best Buy. There will come a day in the not too distant future when they fade away as the last of the big brick and mortar electronics retailers. E-tailers like Amazon will eventually make them obsolete...
    Perhaps you're not familiar with the gargantuan BestBuy.com site, which consistently ranks in the Top 500 trafficked sites in the world. If they ditched brick and mortar (which they won't; instant gratification is as much an advantage as convenience) they'd just scale back and redouble their efforts on the E-tail side of their business.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Yeah, actually I am. I was also familiar with CompUSA, Circuit City and Fry's (which isn't quite dead, but not nearly as prevalent as they used to be), all of which were absorbed by online retailers and pretty much ceased to have any real physical presence. I'm sure people felt the same way about Borders and Blockbuster, but yet here we are. Especially in this economy, I don't think its too far a stretch of the imagination to see how price is going to quickly trump instant gratification before too long. And if Best Buy doesn't do something about their dreadful customer service it could be sooner rather than later.
    Online retailers wont replace Brick and Mortars,
    Shipping costs continue to go up and up, legislation is slated to change again in 2013 for load securement again increasing costs of shipping, Big box stores get to minimize said cost with truck load shipments, but handling fees and insurance on big ticket items like TV's and major appliances means they will need to keep the Big Box stores for people to come see them and touch them.

I agree that the sales staff usually have little to no clue about what they are talking about, but they really are just traffic controllers pointing people to things that meet the kinda need they think they have, You also still have people buying with cash, and the fun of going out shopping.

I for one never buy
    Laptops, TV's, Major Appliances, cellphones, keyboards, online.
    I need to touch them, and feel them, and see them before knowing they are right, the specs only tell half the story.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I think everyone is positing some relevant points and opinions here, but you simply can't ignore economic facts. As much of a big shot front as they put up, Best Buy is still falling behind. Their stock price has fallen by half from this time last year and their debt to cash ratio is gradually beginning to fall out of balance. Right now their market cap is around ten times less than Amazon's, and their profits are about on par with Newegg who, as we all know, is exclusively an online electronics retailer. With a ledger like that I just don't see how they can continue to operate at the same level if this economy continues the way it has, which it most likely will for the next 3-5 years. Financially their bottom line simply doesn't look all that rosy at present.
    Just someone who has had too many unsatisfactory experiences with their largely smug, uninformed sales staff.
    I don't have bad experiences cause there's no reason to talk to sales people other than asking, "Can you check the computer to see if this is in stock?" or "Can you check another store and see if they have them in stock?"

I've fully informed myself well before i get there. It's a retail store staffed by part time people making crap wages. I think it's crazy to expect those people to be experts on whatever random crap they are selling.

And best buy isn't going anywhere anytime soon cause there are plenty of people like me that aren't buying a $2000 tv until i see it, or want to go buy something and get it the same day, like to screw around with all the demo stuff or just want to walk around and play xbox for free.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/26/2011 at 10:35 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I walked into one 2 days ago and the cashier was not aware of the new Touchpad deals. She said that was over the summer and was long finished.

A Radio Shack employee attempted to explain to me that there is 'bluetooth' (meaning headsets) and then there are wireless mice ('mouses' he called them), but no such thing as a bluetooth mouse. I thanked him for the enlightenment and walked out.

Its always best to educate oneself before going into any of these stores.

BB and other B&M stores will all have to cut back in the coming years. I recalled hearing (radio or TV) about a month ago that BB was looking at their options. Even if congress and the states get their way and collect taxes from Amazon, Newegg, et al, they will still have the advantage from huge warehouses in the middle of nowhere as county and city taxes and real estate costs skyrocket. B&Ms wont disappear altogether as a balance will be reached at some point.
    If you are interacting with the sales staff you are doing something wrong.
    I often wear headphones in stores specifically so sales people will not attempt to try to help me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    Perhaps you're not familiar with the gargantuan BestBuy.com site, which consistently ranks in the Top 500 trafficked sites in the world. If they ditched brick and mortar (which they won't; instant gratification is as much an advantage as convenience) they'd just scale back and redouble their efforts on the E-tail side of their business.
    The prices on BestBuy.com are pretty much the same as in their stores, extremely high. I used to be a loyal BestBuy customer, but I switched to buying my electronics from Amazon. I only go into BestBuy to test new devices. I used to buy phones from BestBuy because of the instant rebates, but I get than on Amazon now, so I stopped buying from BestBuy. Their associates are some of the most electronics illiterate people you can find. They try to sell you stuff they like instead of what you came in there to buy.

Edit: For a quick example I recently went into BestBuy to purchase a mini-HDMI cable for my daughter's Android tablet. BestBuy wanted almost $30 for the cable. I went on BestBuy.com and the price was the same. I ordered two of the cables from Amazon and it only cost $20, which included shipping. Why should I shop at BestBuy?
    Last edited by k4ever; 11/27/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    No regrets? ...and yet Best Buy has just cancelled all orders and pulled the PB from its site:

Best Buy cancels BlackBerry PlayBook orders, pulls listings | Electronista
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I don't have bad experiences cause there's no reason to talk to sales people other than asking, "Can you check the computer to see if this is in stock?" or "Can you check another store and see if they have them in stock?"

I've fully informed myself well before i get there. It's a retail store staffed by part time people making crap wages. I think it's crazy to expect those people to be experts on whatever random crap they are selling.

And best buy isn't going anywhere anytime soon cause there are plenty of people like me that aren't buying a $2000 tv until i see it, or want to go buy something and get it the same day, like to screw around with all the demo stuff or just want to walk around and play xbox for free.
    This amny speaks the truth. others who say different just are delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Best Buy claims to regrets in stocking Playbook & TouchPad when the first were introduced.

Jay

No Regrets From Best Buy on Stocking RIM PlayBook
    By REUTERS

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Big-box electronics retailer Best Buy has no regrets about stocking Research In Motion's PlayBook tablet, despite the product's poor reception and subsequent sharp discounting.
    Just goes to show you how much politics is involved in all of this stuff. The Playbook has been as much of a dog (sales-wise) as the Touchpad, and it can be debated that it is less capable in important ways.

The back-office intrigue has always been there, but you'll have to go deeper to see just how deeply it is involved. HP (and Palm before them) hacked off enough people that they were on a pretty short leash compared to others in this space.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    It looks there may be a reversal of sorts:
    Best Buy cancels PlayBook orders, yanks listings
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    It's a retail store staffed by part time people making crap wages. I think it's crazy to expect those people to be experts on whatever random crap they are selling.
    I would be more willing to shop there if the employees at the store just acknowledged as much. Stop trying to suggest stuff or scare me/my wife into buying dumb warranty plans.

Itís pretty telling that a computer system, completely devoid of human contact (Newegg) can have consistently better praise for their customer interaction and satisfaction than one with face-to-face contact.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I would be more willing to shop there if the employees at the store just acknowledged as much. Stop trying to suggest stuff or scare me/my wife into buying dumb warranty plans.
    That's how they make a lot of their profit (warranty and add-ons) so that is unlikely to ever stop. However, I don't see it as any different than the extra pages that pop-up at Amazon trying to get me to buy extra items, sign up for a credit card, etc...

Itís pretty telling that a computer system, completely devoid of human contact (Newegg) can have consistently better praise for their customer interaction and satisfaction than one with face-to-face contact.
    Not really comparable, imo. The breakdown of customer types that shop at New Egg is no doubt entirely different than those that shop at Best Buy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast