Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    That's how they make a lot of their profit (warranty and add-ons) so that is unlikely to ever stop. However, I don't see it as any different than the extra pages that pop-up at Amazon trying to get me to buy extra items, sign up for a credit card, etc...
    You'll notice I didn't compare it to Amazon for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Not really comparable, imo. The breakdown of customer types that shop at New Egg is no doubt entirely different than those that shop at Best Buy.
    It's compareable because we are here talking about the shopping experience at BB, we aren't here talking about regular BB customers and how they like shopping at BB.

-Suntan
    It's compareable because we are here talking about the shopping experience at BB, we aren't here talking about regular BB customers and how they like shopping at BB.
    You're talking about "consistently better praise" so where's that coming from? You're confining it *just* to PC members?

The reality is that each type of retailer is customized for the best "customer interaction and satisfaction" based on the breakdown of the type of user who shops there the most. You may not be a typical BB customer.

I don't have the same annoyance as you do because it takes all of 5 seconds to say "No thanks, I'm good" to whatever the sales guy offers. I really don't get the people that whine about innocuous sales associates.

NewEgg is pretty nondescript, imo. I'd never praise them at being anything other than barebones.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    You'll notice I didn't compare it to Amazon for that reason.
    Newegg has started moving more and more toward doing the same things.
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    I think everyone is positing some relevant points and opinions here, but you simply can't ignore economic facts. As much of a big shot front as they put up, Best Buy is still falling behind. Their stock price has fallen by half from this time last year and their debt to cash ratio is gradually beginning to fall out of balance. Right now their market cap is around ten times less than Amazon's, and their profits are about on par with Newegg who, as we all know, is exclusively an online electronics retailer. With a ledger like that I just don't see how they can continue to operate at the same level if this economy continues the way it has, which it most likely will for the next 3-5 years. Financially their bottom line simply doesn't look all that rosy at present.
    Quoted for truth.
    Best Buy stll has over 1,000 store and is apparently opening 100 smaller store while closing the 50 larger ones.
  6.    #27  
    Hi all,

BB is also getting squeezed from Costco and the other Wholesale clubs.

My Fiancee, (were getting married in 2 weeks), has worked for Costco for many years. Costco (along with Sam's Club & BJ's), makes it's profit on the membership fees. That's correct, the membership fees are what carries Costco and the other clubs.

Therefore, they cut the price of products to the bone...This is especially true of electronics. The margins are so small on many electronics that many department stores are dropping electronics or great reducing sales areas for electronics, (Macy's & J C Penney).

This has put extreme pressure on firms such as BB, what used to be CompUSA, Fry's etc....

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Costco doesn't stock apple stuff anymore because of the margins.
  8.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Costco doesn't stock apple stuff anymore because of the margins.
    Hi that's only part of the story...Apple is making an example of Costco...b/c Costco is selling Apple cards for less than face value ALL of the time, instead of a short period of time for a sale...Others are starting to do it as well....so Apple told Costco to cut it out and Costco said if you won't let us cut them ALL of the time, then we won't sell your products at all.

Now Sam's recently started discounting the Apple cards but I don't know if it's a full time deal...I don't know anyone at Sam's club to ask...Costco did the same thing with Coke...Coke didn't want to give Costco the price it wanted so it dropped Coke products...that went on for a few months until Coke knuckled under....

From what I'm told Costco feels that if Coke came back to them, then Apple will do the same!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    As opposed to having Touchpads on the shelves? Wow what smack in the face.
    I never bought the rumor that Best Buy wax angry at HP because of disappointing sales and demands HP takes it all back. This is a business, there are long-term relations and mixed calculations playing their parts.
    When sales are disappointing you renegotiate, agree on extra promotion budget by HP and/or take-back guarantees etc...

I bet what really happened and actually made the CEO of Best Buy angry is that he got wind of HPs decison to dump the whole consumer PC business. That changes the whole dynmic of the biz relationship. And getting BB to promote a product range that HP just shortly before claimed to be in for the long run, but then already planned to kill off right after start would be received very badly indeed.

And shortly after that the news about HPs restructuring leaked and all hell broke loose.
    Webos was collateral damage of HPs shiny new "let's be like IBM strategy". Which again is likely to be the result of a power struggle within the corp (quotes from some board members months later were very illuminating).

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    I think there is a little too much anthropomorphizing going on here - attributing human or personal characteristics to a business relationship. From what I understand, Costco stopped carrying Apple products because Apple gave Sams Club access to the iPad and not Costco. Prior to this time, you could get iPods at Costco. It's just business.

Recent articles have mentioned that Best Buy sells just as many iPhones (and probably other Apple products) as Apple does itself.
    You would be amazed at how much personal petty issues influence corporate decisions. It shouldn't be that way, but while "corporations aren't people too" (sorry Mitt), they are run by people and personal feelings do influence decisions. Million dollar execs frequently have million dollar egos to match.

Wonder how much Palm / HP consistent refusal to produce a keyboardless device had to do with a JonRube issue with the Apple model and a stubborn belief that the keyboard was the the missing ingredient. They didn't even bother to put a software keyboard on the Palm.

Don't know about the particular cases mentioned above, but I know for a certainty that this happens in business all of the time.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    snip...
    From what I'm told Costco feels that if Coke came back to them, then Apple will do the same!

Take care,

jay
    Well the joke's on Costco, 'cause Apple doesn't need Costco to move product.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Sounds like a former disgruntled BB employee...

Or just someone that sees that even the tech non savvy & all the housewives of America would get over their apprehension of buying gadgets & big ticket items online uncertain of possible service issues & unsure of what they really wanted without seeing it in person. BB has quickly become the place to window shop & determine your product choice & then fire up the nets to find the best price.
    Plus, when they were sitting pretty & unchecked by any real national competitor they didn't earn any customer loyalty with poor customer service policies such as not accepting returns without receipt even though they could find the transaction if they wanted to as a way of forcing store credit on people, absurd restocking fees, and marking up accessories hand over fist.

Oh, just to quash any speculation, I have never worked or been affiliated with BB, so no bitter agenda, just stating some harsh facts as to why they taking a dive. In contrast, take Nordstrom, for example of a company that understands the value of their customers- which is why I'll gladly pay a bit more sometimes bc I know they will bend over backwards to ensure I'm happy with my purchases and I don't have to walk in expecting a combative exchange or return process where it seems like I have to prove I didn't steal the item or am trying to pull one over on them.

See...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?articleid=20120411_53_E6_CUTLIN859457
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12