Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #1  
    Have a 32GB TP, and we have a 2nd in the family as well.

AND I have two brand new 32GB TP's as "spares" for now (havent decided if I will "gift" them or sell them off).

So far, I really like my TP 32GB, and have come to *love* the homebrew community that come up around WebOS. (It has 95% off the apps I really want).

But being the "toy" guy I am...

Managed to snag a Blackberry Playbook 32GB for $174 today (Staples), and it should be delivered tomorrow.

I ordered it on "impulse", and am not sure if I will keep it, or return it.

IF anyone has used both the TP, and the Playbook, for some EXTENDED period of time (ie, not for a few minutes at a store), I would like to hear the Pro's and Con's of how you would compare the two.

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND,

the CONS are: the BB App World has an even SMALLER number of BB PB apps than the TP does, and there isnt any "native" email app (dumb move), as the main drawbacks. Screen size is 1024 x 600, so a bit smaller than the TP.

the PROS are: that BB is still going to support the PB moving forward, AND is coming out with an update to the OS in Feb that will have a) much better email/calendaring support, and b) some level of native android app support. And its much smaller and portable the TP (about half the weight).

Your feedback is welcome (besides the useless "anything else but WebOS sucks etc" comments).
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I thought Playbook had more apps. Definitely more games than TP.
    PB would be an ideal choice if they had native apps and skype/Google video chat.
    Playbook don't have its own email client so far (if I'm not wrong).

I played Playbook for several minutes, I quickly noticed slow down and unresponsive issue. It even don't have any additional apps installed or opened.

If you connect Playbook to TV using HDMI, slow down issue even worst.

7" playbook, quite good in hand, but IMO, even maybe it has better app collection compared to TP, but slow down issue and don't have email client really deal-breaker for me.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Have the Playbook, and I don't see no slow down on anything. Plus it has a lot of good games coming out on it. The Playbook will be supported and developed for, don't forget this is Rim's future make or break. I prefer the Playbook even over the IPad 2 because of the screen size and Rez amazing screen. Way more portable.
    While the PlayBook is a lot more portable, it's a lot more useless. It has a great feel, great screen and great build though.

I got a free PlayBook from RIM at launch, and had sold it within 7 days. It's a paper weight unless you have a BlackBerry to tether it to. I don't care much for an ecosystem, if the device does what I need it to out-of-the-box. Any apps are an added bonus. The PlayBook lacks in this dept for me, when compared to the TouchPad.

The TouchPad is A LOT more versatile and friendly to power users (reader: hackability).

TLDR: I got a free PlayBook, sold it. I bought a TouchPad during the firesale, still have it -- and bought a Pre 3 to accompany it.
    JaakLeen likes this.
    in for feedback on the comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    Managed to snag a Blackberry Playbook 32GB for $174 today (Staples), and it should be delivered tomorrow.
    How on earth did you manage to get a 32GB Playbook for $174?????
    It's a good thing I didn't know about this, as I'm supposed to finish paying off my credit card this month...
    For $99 I'll get an blackberry playbook but not for a penny more(well tax and shipping of course)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    There were threads on slickdeals on how to get a BB Playbook for as little as $99 if you were both determined and freakishly lucky... At this point I think RIM is jut dragging out the inevitable.
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
    I don't think it's even a comparison. I'd go with the TouchPad every single time just because it offers a path to the future in Android. The PlayBook lives and dies on what RIM does and, well, we've seen what they've been doing over the past year.
    slamdunksaliby and Vistaus like this.
    I rather have a Touchpad. The Playbook is just an 7" Internet device in tablet form.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    How on earth did you manage to get a 32GB Playbook for $174?????
    It's a good thing I didn't know about this, as I'm supposed to finish paying off my credit card this month...
    $199 - $25 coupon, AND Staples apparently ran out of 16GB units, and decided (apparently with RIM's blessings) to ship the 32GB unit instead.

I will know when I get mine later today (ie, if it really is/was the 32 GB unit).
    I ordered one 16 GB unit from Buy.com, it will arrive later today. QNX is an amazing OS and from my brief use at best buy Playbook seemed competent. It is a bit more portable than the 9.7" touchpad or ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    snip... It is a bit more portable than the 9.7" touchpad or ipad.
    So is a flip phone. The consumer question is: What can you do with it after you get it.

That's what separate's different tablets from the pack.

The two tablets that can do the least are the ones that are in trouble or no longer produced.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/23/2011 at 10:59 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Saying the Playbook won't be supported by a company that's putting everything behind it, then stating you would rather buy a tablet that's sporting a dead os doesn't make for a great selection. Webos? Nobody wants it, HP lost billions trying to make it work. At least Rim will put everything they have into BBX, it's their future and all is riding on it, their not going to let it fail.
    My co-worker just got one BB PB today. Very slim devise, good camera (including the back one but I do not need it anyway). The display quality looks better, more colorful (at least at first view, it might be bothering later).
    However, one thing can not get away of may eyes - the bezel. Not just that it is bigger than the TouchPad, but the smaller screen makes it look even thicker - very ugly. The power button is also awful. The stand by mode that it has takes almost 1 minute to be switched on and another one to come back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moegumby View Post
    Saying the Playbook won't be supported by a company that's putting everything behind it, then stating you would rather buy a tablet that's sporting a dead os doesn't make for a great selection. Webos? Nobody wants it, HP lost billions trying to make it work. At least Rim will put everything they have into BBX, it's their future and all is riding on it, their not going to let it fail.
    Everything behind it? They're letting it languish, and horribly so. It was bad enough it shipped without the normal apps one would expect but RIM doesn't even keep its promises (email app in 60 days??? Nope).

I like the Playbook in theory but I don't believe RIM cares much about it at this point. I think they are much more concerned about getting a BBX phone out the door - and they should be. Selling PB's at a loss isn't going to help them at this point.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    the CONS are: the BB App World has an even SMALLER number of BB PB apps than the TP does, and there isnt any "native" email app (dumb move), as the main drawbacks. Screen size is 1024 x 600, so a bit smaller than the TP.
    The Playbook has about 6000 apps. At the Blackberry DevCon keynote last month, the Adobe executives on stage said that there were more than 4000 AIR apps on the Playbook. Then a RIM executive said later in the keynote that over 1/4 of the Playbook apps are HTML5 apps. Add in a few hundred of "native" c apps --- you got 6000 Playbook apps.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Everything behind it? They're letting it languish, and horribly so. It was bad enough it shipped without the normal apps one would expect but RIM doesn't even keep its promises (email app in 60 days??? Nope).

I like the Playbook in theory but I don't believe RIM cares much about it at this point. I think they are much more concerned about getting a BBX phone out the door - and they should be. Selling PB's at a loss isn't going to help them at this point.
    The problem is on the server end, not on the client end --- their infrastructure is one device per person. So when you have one person with one Blackberry handset and one Playbook --- major problem on the server end.

After Microsoft bought Hotmail --- it took Microsoft 4 years to migrate the Hotmail servers from unix to windows server OS. And that's with only 9 million Hotmail users. RIM has to do it with 70 million blackberry users.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The problem is on the server end, not on the client end --- their infrastructure is one device per person. So when you have one person with one Blackberry handset and one Playbook --- major problem on the server end.
    There are plenty of people interested in a tablet that *DON'T* have a Blackberry phone. People want to be able to access their email on their tablets without having to use a web browser. Your excuse doesn't explain away the lack of apps for mail, calendar, etc, for these potential buyers as every other comparable tablet has them.

RIM have made themselves look the fool by not only shipping an unfinished device but by failing to fill in major holes. There's a reason they've struggled to stuff the channel with 700k units and moved virtually none of them on to consumers until fire sales started springing up.

Some of the original buyers of the PB purchased them with the expectation that RIM would be providing updates to cover its shortcoming mere weeks after purchase. Now it will be a YEAR by the time they get them, assuming that date holds.
    Vistaus likes this.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast