Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Rumors mainly from unreliable Taiwanese press about production. Same sort of rumors from the same sources about Asus is ramming up production --- yet we haven't seen any sort of real sales numbers.
    No. We actually have Asus reps talking about sales and ramping up production.

We don't have *anything* positive coming from RIM that isn't vaporware, so far.

It took Motorola 8 months to get the LTE hardware upgrade out --- and you have to send your tablet to Motorola.
    ...and LTE is so widespread and is even more popular than email access... oh, wait.. it isn't.

You obviously like the PB foursome reason, and I myself was tempted for about 2 minutes when it was first released, but there's nothing compelling about this tablet at all and it's unfinished. It may not have been DOA but it's pretty darn close.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    No. We actually have Asus reps talking about sales and ramping up production.

We don't have *anything* positive coming from RIM that isn't vaporware, so far.

...and LTE is so widespread and is even more popular than email access... oh, wait.. it isn't.

You obviously like the PB foursome reason, and I myself was tempted for about 2 minutes when it was first released, but there's nothing compelling about this tablet at all and it's unfinished. It may not have been DOA but it's pretty darn close.
    The rumors started with Digitimes (a very unreliable Taiwanese source). Asus can say whatever they want --- they are not listed in the US and aren't subjected to the same public disclosure laws as Apple and RIM. Just like how Samsung can say how many tablets they ship, people (including Lenovo) don't believe them.

At the very least, the Playbook is hardware finished --- no need to send it in to get a hardware update.

Liking or not liking the Playbook --- it doesn't change my arguments. It is what it is. EVERY non-ipad tablet has been a massive failure. And on top of this massive industry-wide failure, we have Google Analytics severely under-counting Playbook's market share. There is nothing in the entire Honeycomb OS that is positive, it's just a dirty hack that Google themselves acknowledges.
    The rumors started with Digitimes (a very unreliable Taiwanese source). Asus can say whatever they want --- they are not listed in the US and aren't subjected to the same public disclosure laws as Apple and RIM. Just like how Samsung can say how many tablets they ship, people (including Lenovo) don't believe them.
    Actually, Digitimes is not anywhere close to perfect but not nearly as unreliable as you make them out to believe. Certainly no more so than any other site of its type. Also, it's silly to discount Asus and yet bring Lenovo into the discussion when it comes to numbers.

At the very least, the Playbook is hardware finished --- no need to send it in to get a hardware update.
    If you have to look to Xoom to try and prop up an unfinished PB then the discussion is practically over. LOL People looking to buy don't care about hardware. The iPad doesn't feature the most powerful processor nor the most memory and yet it dwarfs all others.

The PB may look okay on paper (though I note it's cellular model up and vanished, never mind an upgrade) but what does that matter when it can even provide email services?

....and when it FINALLY has a basic email reader and calendar app, a full year late, the hardware will be so outdated it isn't funny (as the Transformer Prime, iPad 3, and others will be out by then.

Liking or not liking the Playbook --- it doesn't change my arguments. It is what it is. EVERY non-ipad tablet has been a massive failure. And on top of this massive industry-wide failure, we have Google Analytics severely under-counting Playbook's market share. There is nothing in the entire Honeycomb OS that is positive, it's just a dirty hack that Google themselves acknowledges.
    Oh, I see... you're just anti-Google, is that it?

I'm no fan of Android but I'd choose a Transformer over a PB any day of the week. It works and actually has apps.

All this is quite moot, though. The PB itself is a dead end unless RIM pulls some major magic out of its a*s in the next couple of months.
    sinsin07 and Vistaus like this.
    Quote 1
    snip.. Lenovo said it right out that Samsung sold only 20000 tablets even though millions were shipped.
    Quote 2
    How would you know how many Samsung actually sold? They aren't listed in the US, and they don't subject to public disclosure rules. We are talking about a TouchPad fire sale managed to beat Samsung tablet sales numbers --- so how well is Samsung selling their tablets.
    You say in quote one " Lenovo said it right out that Samsung sold only 20000 tablets even though millions were shipped.' Then in Quote 2 you say "How would you know how many Samsung actually sold? They aren't listed in the US, and they don't subject to public disclosure rules."

How would Lenovo know what Samsung sold? You use your statement in quote one to prove a point, and then you invalidate that in quote two.

So having a "native" email client or not --- doesn't really affect actual sales numbers. Motorola shipped 800K Xooms and RIM shipped 700K Playbooks (and Motorola has been shipping it earlier than RIM). So what if the Xoom has a native email client, didn't change the sales numbers at all.
    Android and RIM are not the same. Android is not established in the corporate/government environment the way RIM is. Yet with their foothold in this environments, the Playbook has not taken them by storm.

There are plenty of Android tablet models that are not selling either. Don't need to talk about the TouchPad when the Xoom is a sales dud (and it has a native email client).
    Yep. But that's Android with a totally different user base. RIM is already established in the corporate/government environment. Android is not. Not the same animal. Therefore we still don't know how well the Playbook would have done with built in PIM from the start.

But we don't know how dismal it is.
    All we have is tech bloggers getting numbers from a few "market research" companies, who in turn got their estimates from numbers that they got from their Google Analytics tools --- which we know now has been severely under-counting the Playbook.
    Nobody knows exactly how many Playbooks are sold --- because nobody knows where to count the Playbook in Google Analytics. The Playbook sales numbers are under-counted.
    Let's go to the source. RIM's September earning call, 5:28 mark: "Current PlayBook sell through lower than we expected."

Comments from RIM co-CEO:PlayBook sales are "well below where we would like it to be," co-CEO Mike Laziridis conceded

The above is not from a Taiwanese blog, which you so often like to attribute the failure of the Playbook too.

And then you have indirect methods: Playbook

No other mobile platform has the foothold in corporate and government that RIM has. These are the agencies that buy RIM products in the tens of thousands. Not every executive wants to carry a Blackberry. This is why you see more and more IT departments having to cater to the user population's desire for other devices.
    Executives may prefer another type of phone, but everybody executive can appreciate the RIM mail delivery and PIM benefits.

No PIM on a Playbook was just a dumb idea, especially considering they are working on just such functionality, which keeps getting delayed.
    snip..
    It's getting more and more compelling as that price drops closer and closer to the $99/$149 mark. This week we have seen a new low as Staples, which apparently ran out of the 16gb model, sold the 32gb model for $174 also.

One of the differences between the Touchpad and Playbook is HP could afford to drop the Touchpad, that revenue stream is not their only source of income. RIM will be hurt up if they had to drop the Playbook. All they have is services revolving around their devices. of which the Playbook is a "premier" device.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Actually, Digitimes is not anywhere close to perfect but not nearly as unreliable as you make them out to believe. Certainly no more so than any other site of its type. Also, it's silly to discount Asus and yet bring Lenovo into the discussion when it comes to numbers.

....and when it FINALLY has a basic email reader and calendar app, a full year late, the hardware will be so outdated it isn't funny (as the Transformer Prime, iPad 3, and others will be out by then.

I'm no fan of Android but I'd choose a Transformer over a PB any day of the week. It works and actually has apps.

All this is quite moot, though. The PB itself is a dead end unless RIM pulls some major magic out of its a*s in the next couple of months.
    I am a Chinese Canadian who regularly reads the Taiwanese newspaper sources in their original language. A lot of the "news" are nothing more than rumors started by speculators.

I am not "propping" up anything. EVERYBODY is trying to catch up to Apple. For Google, it meant that they are dirty-hacking Honeycomb. For Motorola, they are shipping unfinished hardware of a Xoom. For nVidia, they shipped Tegra 2 without NEON (which crippled all Honeycomb tablet's performance). Same thing for RIM. Same thing for Palm.

Ice Cream Sandwich is phone centric. We ain't going to see much tablet centric improvements until Android 5.0.

I am an equal opportunity critic.

RIM is one year late in their enterprise email client, not one year late in basic email client.

You can prefer the Transformer all you want, the fact that it really didn't sell well either.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    How would Lenovo know what Samsung sold? You use your statement in quote one to prove a point, and then you invalidate that in quote two.

Let's go to the source. RIM's September earning call, 5:28 mark: "Current PlayBook sell through lower than we expected."

Comments from RIM co-CEO:PlayBook sales are "well below where we would like it to be," co-CEO Mike Laziridis conceded.
    All it means is that companies that are listed in the US are subjected to SEC public disclosure laws.

I don't trust ANY companies' numbers that aren't listed in the US. I don't trust HTC's numbers. I don't trust Samsung's numbers. I don't trust Lenovo's numbers.

It doesn't matter whether you trust Lenovo's characterization of Samsung's sell through numbers. All it matters is that you can't trust Samsung's numbers.
    No other mobile platform has the foothold in corporate and government that RIM has. These are the agencies that buy RIM products in the tens of thousands. Not every executive wants to carry a Blackberry. This is why you see more and more IT departments having to cater to the user population's desire for other devices.
    Executives may prefer another type of phone, but everybody executive can appreciate the RIM mail delivery and PIM benefits.

No PIM on a Playbook was just a dumb idea, especially considering they are working on just such functionality, which keeps getting delayed.
    So very true... and RIM, being the fumbling player they are at the moment, is letting it all slip through their fingers. I read something a while back that stated out of all tablets being sold into corporations that 97% of them were iPads.

Surely, if RIM had a compelling alternative they could have gained more headway thanks to their installed base in this market. They won't get there with half-baked products, though.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    It's getting more and more compelling as that price drops closer and closer to the $99/$149 mark. This week we have seen a new low as Staples, which apparently ran out of the 16gb model, sold the 32gb model for $174 also.
    I might be tempted by the PB if it were $99.

The problem is I have little faith in RIM right now. I was originally interested and then the lack of PIM apps killed the sale. I figured I'd wait a few weeks until those were released...and then they never were. Now they've been delayed until v2.0 of the OS arrives in, supposedly, March 2012.

At this rate, I can't even imagine them selling the same PB a year later. That's wayyyy too late for the OS update to make it a viable product, imo. On the other hand, if they had updated hardware forthcoming, we should have heard something by now.
    I am a Chinese Canadian who regularly reads the Taiwanese newspaper sources in their original language. A lot of the "news" are nothing more than rumors started by speculators.
    ....and? Sounds like virtually every blog and computer news site around the world that deals in upcoming products, etc...

I am not "propping" up anything. EVERYBODY is trying to catch up to Apple. For Google, it meant that they are dirty-hacking Honeycomb. For Motorola, they are shipping unfinished hardware of a Xoom. For nVidia, they shipped Tegra 2 without NEON (which crippled all Honeycomb tablet's performance). Same thing for RIM. Same thing for Palm.
    No, virtually all those other tablets are more usable than the Playbook.

Ice Cream Sandwich is phone centric. We ain't going to see much tablet centric improvements until Android 5.0.
    Android isn't beautiful but it works just fine on a tablet as of 3.x. It, also, has apps.

RIM is one year late in their enterprise email client, not one year late in basic email client.
    They're one year late with ANY email client... their current PIM support is horrid. period.
    The one thing you can say about almost all current tablets is that you can, at the very least, handle mainstream internet-based tasks on them - you can't even say that about the Playbook.

You can prefer the Transformer all you want, the fact that it really didn't sell well either.
    Oh, but you spend all your time not trusting the numbers.. how do we know?

I don't care about how many it sold, the Transformer is at least usable out of the box.
    Vistaus likes this.
  11.    #51  
    Ok. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Since I *dont* have a Blackberry phone (Android and iPhone phones, TP's for Tablets), I have decided to sell the BB PB.

Too many limitations for me to keep it, when I can easily sell it for $250+.

Its already hit Amazon and eBay, and I suspect that it will be gone by the weekend.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    A lot of them are design decisions. Honeycomb tablets are based on a crippled CPU without SIMD, a dirty-hacked of an OS (and in the Xoom case, incomplete hardware). These decisions make these tablets get to the market faster.

RIM didn't want to do that. So they aren't shipping email, PIM clients until they get it right the first time.

Both platforms got punished for that. Honeycomb tablets and the Playbook aren't selling. End users want a fully featured and polished tablet --- and the only one that makes it is Apple.
    All it means is that companies that are listed in the US are subjected to SEC public disclosure laws.

I don't trust ANY companies' numbers that aren't listed in the US. I don't trust HTC's numbers. I don't trust Samsung's numbers. I don't trust Lenovo's numbers.

It doesn't matter whether you trust Lenovo's characterization of Samsung's sell through numbers. All it matters is that you can't trust Samsung's numbers.
    What matters on the thread is we can't value anything you say when you make statement in on comment and then turn around and question it in another comment.

You are guilty of the same thing you convict the Taiwanese tech blogs of doing.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    Ok. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Since I *dont* have a Blackberry phone (Android and iPhone phones, TP's for Tablets), I have decided to sell the BB PB.

Too many limitations for me to keep it, when I can easily sell it for $250+.

Its already hit Amazon and eBay, and I suspect that it will be gone by the weekend.
    It really depends on your usage.

You bought a Playbook that is cheaper than buying a Kindle Fire --- with more storage and more apps available (Amazon is vaguely talking about "several thousand" Kindle Fire apps).
    snip...
    At this rate, I can't even imagine them selling the same PB a year later. That's wayyyy too late for the OS update to make it a viable product, imo. On the other hand, if they had updated hardware forthcoming, we should have heard something by now.
    Yes, the Taiwanese blogs would have alerted us to this "fact". LOL
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    What matters on the thread is we can't value anything you say when you make statement in on comment and then turn around and question it in another comment.

You are guilty of the same thing you convict the Taiwanese tech blogs of doing.
    If I am guilty, then everybody that answered my comments on this thread also are guilty as well. I am ok with that.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Yes, the Taiwanese blogs would have alerted us to this "fact". LOL
    It is viable as long as RIM prices it about the same as the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet.
    A lot of them are design decisions. Honeycomb tablets are based on a crippled CPU without SIMD, a dirty-hacked of an OS (and in the Xoom case, incomplete hardware). These decisions make these tablets get to the market faster.

RIM didn't want to do that. So they aren't shipping email, PIM clients until they get it right the first time.
    Umm, what? You don't think RIM shipping a device with half-baked software (missing features) was a decision to get to market faster? If they wanted to get it right the first time, they would have waited to release the Playbook until it was comparable to other offerings.

All they've done now is tarnish their already dulling reputation and delivering an update 12 months late won't make them look better. RIM hasn't done themselves any favors by entering the market unprepared.

Indeed, they probably helped convince a lot of corporate buyers to just look somewhere else.

No matter what you say, all those other tablets are more usable out of the box for the average tablet buyer than the Playbook is, even months after release. Come next March, it will be too late as the PB is *rightly* perceived as yet another failure.

...and this "Android Player" that some are pinning their hopes on will do even more damage in the long run. Why would I buy the PB for a feature like that? It's the same idea that killed IBM's OS/2 (running Window's apps).
    It is viable as long as RIM prices it about the same as the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet.
    Really???? What eco-system does RIM have to support the loss on the hardware side?

For that matter, the Playbook doesn't even have a Kindle app does it?

The Fire is not an especially fabulous device but it's going to steamroll over the PB where sales are concerned.
    sinsin07 likes this.

Both platforms got punished for that. Honeycomb tablets and the Playbook aren't selling. End users want a fully featured and polished tablet --- and the only one that makes it is Apple.
    RIM didn't want to do what? They may not be guilty of crippled CPU, hacked OS or incomplete OS, but they are guilty of throwing an unfinished product out into the wild. Some would say that it was rushed to market. And they are trying to use the competition, Android of all things, to prop up their App store. That is lame.

The Playbook can't stand on it's own in regard to PIM functionality, it can't stand on it's own in regard to apps. The Playbook is the only tablet on "social services." The only thing missing is the Gov't cheese.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast