Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Early reviews of the Kindle Fire are disappointing to say the least. The only feature in which it seems to excel is in video viewing, everything else is either middling to poor.
    Appears as if it may not be the tablet market behemoth it was slated to be. Reviews linked
    here and here.
    Still think Apothekar gave up on the touchpad too early.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    And yet, it'll still sell like mad at the $199 price point and Amazon won't give a damn about the reviews. They've already had to increase their order to 5,000,000 to keep up with demand, so at least be honest about its chances for marketplace success. It's highly likely it'll do well with the mom and pop that don't sit with bated breath combing through specs in tech blogs.

The tech rags could call it just north of another Bandai Pippin (go ahead, look it up) but as long as people buy it in droves, it really doesn't matter what the reviews say.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    It sounds as though it's exactly what you'd expect for $199, and Amazon will sell enough of them to bring the price down further over the next couple of years. Look out for the colour Amazon content consumption device in your store for Christmas 2013 at $99 (ad supported).
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,475 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Early reviews of the Kindle Fire are disappointing to say the least. The only feature in which it seems to excel is in video viewing, everything else is either middling to poor.
    Appears as if it may not be the tablet market behemoth it was slated to be. Reviews linked
    here and here.
    Still think Apothekar gave up on the touchpad too early.
    It already is - the tech crowd were never going to be happy with it but the general public don't listen to them anyway so I doubt the reviews will change anything.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Heard on CBS this morning that Amazon already has 1/2 million pre-orders for the Kindle Fire. Not too shabby.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    That wired review is very unfair. Its like reviewing a honda and a bmw (twice the cost), and slamming the honda because its not as good as a bmw.

at $199, its what's expected on todays tech.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Not an Apple fan at all and been a prime student member from Amazon and I like amzn hence for obvious reasons.

But having seen the previews of this device,I believe Its going to start with a bang and end with a louder thump of failure.

If its laggy and slow it is going to fail. Period.

This is why Webos failed after much fanfare on the TP and so did all the galaxy tabs.

As much as I sympathize Amazon for taking losses on devices and prime, I think this is a no go.

60% of those those defending the device and calling the review biased, fanboyish etc. are still going to avoid buying the device and wont put money where there mouth/hands is/are.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Half a million preorders is still a drop in the bucket compared to ipad sales. After it hit's the street it's unclear what the demand will be subsequently. What's concerning about the reviews is that the media consumption experience (except videos) is unsatisfactory. The UI is not smooth and polished like iOS5. The app store is relatively sparse, plus the much heralded Silk Browser is slow and is just a ruse for data mining.
    The question remains-is a 7in form factor only good for video? I have a 7 inch Sony Reader and I hate zooming and panning PDF's which aren't really made to fit that screen size. I'd be irritated if I had to do that for comics and magazines too.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Tech bloggers are always reviewing through the prism of what they like and what they don't.

For me, I could never buy a tablet that didn't provide the latest and greatest of everything. Most people, however, are not like that and are less likely to read tech reviews.

More likely they will read reviews by owners who, like themselves, found something there that they couldn't live without.

Oh... and I too think that HP dropped webOS hardward too quickly.......
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    and here we go with the iPad comparisons. I don't know if the Fire will do well beyond it's initial pre-orders. Only time will tell. What I don't like about it is the limited on device storage. Right now 32GB is pushing it for me. I couldn't imagine only having 1/6 of that available. I have 3000 mp3s in my mobile library which is about 14GB. Most of the movies I have are 700mb to 1.2GB a piece. I also don't like the lack of a front camera. No video chatting. He is right about the screen being too small for magazine content. I have Zinio on my TouchPad and I would not want the text to be any smaller than it already is. Using Zinio for week has killed my desire for a 7 inch tablet for magazine reading, so Amazon will have some trouble in that area. Hopefully they will release a 10 inch version.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by k4ever; 11/14/2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Pls go over to engadget and try viewing a video review.

This things sucks tbh. taps dont register, the device is slow and laggy at best!
    it's an ebook reader and a barebones storage device to consume amazon content. I think it only competes with an ipad and all you can do with it's apps for the really budget concious. Like i got a pre cause i couldn't afford the contract an iphone entailed.

I think if paying 499 gives you pause then a kindle is an alternative that you may be able to deal with the trade offs. plus if all you want is a book reader you don't need the stuff the ipad offers. So i think there is surely over lap in the markets it won't be for everyone. But it does what i'd expect it to do: read books.

buy by contrast if you want a large capacity device for storing music or several hd movies without having to delete stuff, or all those app specific things or storage specific things it may not be the best device.

me personally, i'd save my money and get a device with all the apps i want rather then just an ereader. By contrast, my niece just wanted to read books last xmas so we bought her a kindle.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    ] No video chatting.
    in all honesty how oftern do you use video chat? i feel like people get all huffy about a given gadget not having this or that feature, when in reality they wouldn't use it even if they had it. video chatting? beyond the novelty, who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    in all honesty how oftern do you use video chat? i feel like people get all huffy about a given gadget not having this or that feature, when in reality they wouldn't use it even if they had it. video chatting? beyond the novelty, who cares?
    Twice a week, every week.

We live hundreds of miles from both sets of parents and Skype lets us show the parents what their grandkids are up to.

Not that I'd use a tablet or a phone as my main Skype device, but I'd not buy one unless it supports video calling.

When on vacation, to some place my parents took me years ago, it is a really enjoyable thing to be able to video call with my parents and let my son "show" them the new place he has been. Having mobile devices with the capability to do that makes it feasible. My son can show his grandparents Old Faithful, right there on the boardwalk, and they can see his enjoyment at the same time.

It may be a gimmick to you, good thing we all have a lot of choices.

-Suntan
    Well, the thing is $200. I think the TouchPad fire sales show that, at the right price point, people are willing to overlook horrific performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    I've used it at least a dozen times in the last two months. Mostly to talk to my son who is away at college and to talk to my wife when I was on vacation away from her for a week. It is important enough to me, which is why I wrote that I did not like the lack of a front camera. So members of my family and I care.
    Here is my favorite quote from The Verge review:

Unlike the 1.3 pound iPad 2, I never felt fatigue after reading a book or magazine on the Fire.

Wow! Just wow! Tech reviewers are getting so weak that now the so called light as a feather because it is .3 pounds lighter (than a TouchPad) iPad 2 is too heavy? Give me a break!
    Looks like Fox is recommending saving up for an iPad or spending an extra $50 on the Nook Tablet. Ouch!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I had thought about getting a Kindle Fire for my mom, since she's more inclined to use it for light reading and occasionally playing games to pass the time, and the smaller size would make it more portable for her; however I ran into the same problem with the Kindle Fire as the Touchpad...no "Bejeweled 2" and my mom LOVES Bejeweled. I was disappointed when I found that there was no "Bejeweled 2" in the HP App store but positively stunned when I couldn't find it in the Amazon App Store - it's in the official Android Market but the Fire won't access that from what I understand.

Really? ...one of the best selling casual games of ALL TIME and it's not available?
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast