Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes
    I used the front camera on my Transformer once. I immediately shut it off and went into a days-long funk where I wondered how in the hell my fiance' could love such a hideous-looking troll. What I'm saying is that front-facing cameras do not flatter.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    As some others have alluded already you really have to consider the source when looking at these reviews. These tech bloggers standards and expectations are pretty unrealistic in light of this device' intended purpose, and WAY out of line with the average consumer. This is especially true in the case of The Verge. You could hand Josh Topolsky an Android tablet made of gold plated titanium with bulletproof glass, the highest res IPS display available, 5MP front camera, 12MP rear camera that records in 1080P, 16 core 3.2GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM and 1TB of storage and he would still take a dump on it because it's missing one thing - an Apple logo. I was listening to a podcast the other night where the hosts summed it up pretty well, saying that after they received their Kindle Fire that they would have never known it was the same device the reviewers were talking about had they not mentioned it by name, they're opinions were so skewed.
    [Penhus, not directed at you, just using your post to demonstrate a point] You know, back in July some of us "webOS zealots" brought up how tech reviewers were biased against the TouchPad for almost the same reasons they were biased for or against the Fire and the iPad. Most of the iOS and Android fans here defended the reviewers. It's no so good when the shoe is on the other foot, is it?

I trust users reviews before I trust tech reviewers. After you have owned something for a few days (not played with it for a couple of minutes/hours) and you paid your own money for it, you tend to have a little more experience then someone who will only use the device for a short time.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Tech journalists are largely worthless.
    They're clearing over 1,000,000 Kindles a week right now per Amazon's own released numbers, with the Fire being the largest chunk of that number. Every. Week.

Safe to say the Touchpad ain't #2 anymore.

"Kindle Fire is the most successful product we've ever launched - it's the bestselling product across all of Amazon for 11 straight weeks, we've already sold millions of units, and we're building millions more to meet the high demand," explained Dave Limp, vice president of Amazon Kindle.

"In fact, demand is accelerating - Kindle Fire sales increased week over week for each of the past three weeks. People are buying Kindle Fire because it's a simple, fully-integrated service that makes it easy to do the things they love - watch movies, read books and magazines, listen to music, download apps, play games, and surf the web."
    Amazon selling over 1 million Kindles a week | News | TechRadar
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    They're clearing over 1,000,000 Kindles a week right now per Amazon's own released numbers, with the Fire being the largest chunk of that number. Every. Week.

Safe to say the Touchpad ain't #2 anymore.

Amazon selling over 1 million Kindles a week | News | TechRadar
    Sad that Amazon won't even acknowledge that it runs Android.:thumbdown:

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    tried the kindle fire for the first time today. Verdict. Generally it's not for me. But my impressions on a quick use were, it's thick, it's heavy, the screen is ok quality but small. Its' 1000% clear to me this is a device meant primarily to deliver android media content and NOT to be some broad android tablet. It's an ereader/amazon.com media portal. Amazon isn't really trying to sell tablets they are selling a way to get you to buy amazon stuff. The other stuff are just minor (in presentation) additions. For me something like ipad or galaxy tab (larger, broader use) would be a better product. Plus i like ibooks interface better then kindles anyways. I'm not in the market for a tablet but this would not sway me any more then a playbook. It's not bad. just not for me. But for people that want a cheap color ereader i'm sure it's ok.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    People reviewing it as a tablet and then arguing how it does not fully compare to more powerful IPad or Android (or our love-hated TPs) are missing the point.

Amazon is selling an ebook reader and shopfront and media consumption device for a very low price. It can also do other stuff that more powerful tablets can do better. But the other stuff is bonus content from Amazons POV.

People buying a Kindle Fire and who want a media consumption device are likely getting a good deal compared to people paying 3x or more for alternatives and just use their IPads (or whatever) just to read books and watch movies and occasionally look something up.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I considered selling my lady's OG Samsung Galaxy Tab and getting her a Fire, since she only used the Tab for eBooks. The fact that it's sold so well means there's likely going to be a large development community, so a completely working ICS on it should be a possibility soon.

But if it's thick and heavy, that sort of negates the only reason I'd sell her Tab (which has a beautiful screen, Samsung has some sort of magical ability there).
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    But if it's thick and heavy, that sort of negates the only reason I'd sell her Tab (which has a beautiful screen, Samsung has some sort of magical ability there).
    i saw one at my local Target on their Kindles display. They weren't behind glass or anything so you could feel the weight and judge the thickness. maybe drop by and see if your target has them on display too and judge for yourself.
    It isn't always the best products that succeed, sometimes it's the worse.

That said, bear in mind it's Amazon's first tablet with a heavily customised version of Android on it. They need time to refine it further by way of user feedback.

Amazon are selling 1,000,000 Fires every week.
    Last edited by leonkehoe; 01/09/2012 at 05:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    It isn't always the best products that succeed, sometimes it's the worse.
    Best or Worst is inherently subjective. One persons best phone may be about the best specs the other may be about the best access to apps. And things don't need to be "the best". The best airplane may be some stealth fighter jet but it's not useful if your Delta and looking to carry passengers. To the people that buy the fire it may be their idea of best though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Best or Worst is inherently subjective. One persons best phone may be about the best specs the other may be about the best access to apps. And things don't need to be "the best". The best airplane may be some stealth fighter jet but it's not useful if your Delta and looking to carry passengers. To the people that buy the fire it may be their idea of best though.
    That goes without saying, a product must be fit for purpose.
    Currently rockin' a HP Pre3!

Find me on Facebook and/or Twitter.
    Well, it looks like I'm going to drop an extra $50 and get her a real tablet instead of a Fire:

NVIDIA and ASUS tease 7-inch Tegra 3 tablet with ICS and $249 price tag -- Engadget

$249, ICS, quad-core, dual cameras, etc ... basically a shrunken Transformer Prime. No release date, but I can wait
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Well, it looks like I'm going to drop an extra $50 and get her a real tablet instead of a Fire:

NVIDIA and ASUS tease 7-inch Tegra 3 tablet with ICS and $249 price tag -- Engadget

$249, ICS, quad-core, dual cameras, etc ... basically a shrunken Transformer Prime. No release date, but I can wait
    Wow. All that for $249? I wonder how much profit margin they can have at that price?
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    And yet, it'll still sell like mad at the $199 price point and Amazon won't give a damn about the reviews. They've already had to increase their order to 5,000,000 to keep up with demand, so at least be honest about its chances for marketplace success. It's highly likely it'll do well with the mom and pop that don't sit with bated breath combing through specs in tech blogs.

The tech rags could call it just north of another Bandai Pippin (go ahead, look it up) but as long as people buy it in droves, it really doesn't matter what the reviews say.
    I work part time at a BB and they sell at least 30 a day. Leading up to Christmas they were selling one at least every 10 mins. The store practically had to dump the skid on the sales floor, bur couldn't because they needed to be protected in plastic boxes for security reasons.

The above poster is correct. This is 100% geared for the mom and pops and not for consumers who want to download the latest version of ICS or overclock their device. It's an eReader with app support.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    How long before a Kindle Fire 2 comes out?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Wow. All that for $249? I wonder how much profit margin they can have at that price?
    Probably razor-thin, just like the $399 Transformer was, but Asus probably makes a lot of the components themselves.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I pulled the trigger on the Fire after it dropped to $139 for a refurb unit. My primary reason was because I have Prime, and while I had access to the videos, i didn't have access to the book-lending through the TP Kindle app. I would use this feature more than any other for the children's books.

First impression is that it is small, and I don't particularly like the aspect ratio. I just feel claustrophobic with the screen in Landscape, and in portrait, i always have to zoom in and scroll around to read everything. Software is so so. I am too accustomed to swiping up to change views and close apps. I really miss it on the Fire. Amazon's app catalog is great, with lots of interesting and usable free ad-supported apps.

The virtual keyboard works well, but once again, I have grown too accustomed to the number row on the top. It makes typing in my more complex passwords easier. virtual keyboards without it means you tend to make weak passwords as it is easier to do. Thanks for the better VKB webOS!

My conclusion mirrors some of the others already mentioned here. This is for content consumption, and especially useful if you have Amazon Prime. I have noticed I tend NOT to use it for browsing. I much prefer my TP in that respect. In fact, my TP has replaced my laptop for many uses in comparison, but the Fire has not and will not come close to doing the same.
    ****Reducing Inventory****
    ###FOR SALE###

VZW Pre+ 1.4.5 500/1000 on demand Lithium 418
    White ATT Veer 2.1.2 with 1.4 on demand Lithium 122
    Black ATT Veer 2.1.2 Stock Lithium 196 - broken screen, spare parts
    webOS internals NA Pre3 2.2.4 Stock Lithium 111
    Quote Originally Posted by suprolla View Post
    I pulled the trigger on the Fire after it dropped to $139 for a refurb unit. My primary reason was because I have Prime, and while I had access to the videos, i didn't have access to the book-lending through the TP Kindle app. I would use this feature more than any other for the children's books.

First impression is that it is small, and I don't particularly like the aspect ratio. I just feel claustrophobic with the screen in Landscape, and in portrait, i always have to zoom in and scroll around to read everything. Software is so so. I am too accustomed to swiping up to change views and close apps. I really miss it on the Fire. Amazon's app catalog is great, with lots of interesting and usable free ad-supported apps.

The virtual keyboard works well, but once again, I have grown too accustomed to the number row on the top. It makes typing in my more complex passwords easier. virtual keyboards without it means you tend to make weak passwords as it is easier to do. Thanks for the better VKB webOS!

My conclusion mirrors some of the others already mentioned here. This is for content consumption, and especially useful if you have Amazon Prime. I have noticed I tend NOT to use it for browsing. I much prefer my TP in that respect. In fact, my TP has replaced my laptop for many uses in comparison, but the Fire has not and will not come close to doing the same.
    Did same thing for a friend. He wanted to download videos and watch them on a plane. He reads a lot of books. This is easy and does that. I'm watching Netflix on it and it looks good.

I, myself, can't stand it so if he doesn't want, it will go back to the store on Monday. I think the kindle ereader is elegant, this is a small portable tv and handy but not elegant.
    Android--blechh.

edit: Im also not sure if it asks for permissions for apps, so far haven't seen it. Does that it mean it just lets them access what they wish?

edit2: i logged in with my own account and it easily displayed my books, apps, music in the cloud etc. If you are using amazon's cloud this is a nice way to display and get all your media. Still don't like the lack of permissions and all the ads on the apps, blech.
    Last edited by bluenote; 04/01/2012 at 02:29 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123