Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Got my Kindle Fire today and it does have Bejeweled 2:

Also,it's todays free app of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Looks like Fox is recommending saving up for an iPad or spending an extra $50 on the Nook Tablet. Ouch!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    They're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, the thing is $200. I think the TouchPad fire sales show that, at the right price point, people are willing to overlook horrific performance.
    Horrific? Really? If the TP was horrific, what is the Fire? (Based on reviews as I haven't picked one up yet)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Here is my favorite quote from The Verge review:

Unlike the 1.3 pound iPad 2, I never felt fatigue after reading a book or magazine on the Fire.

Wow! Just wow! Tech reviewers are getting so weak that now the so called light as a feather because it is .3 pounds lighter (than a TouchPad) iPad 2 is too heavy? Give me a break!
    Awesome reference. So many of these reviews are based on the personal bias of the reviewers. I don't expect different, but it's laughable when people claim that the reviews are universally impartial.

I know they are sometimes biased as pro TP too... and I don't care for that either. We need a truth squad for reviews based on objective analysis. Or at least specs included with the reviews so the claims can be evaluated by the reader.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Having had the Kindle Fire for several hours...

Pros:

1. Fast and easy to set up;it took maybe 5 minutes to install using Wi-fi.

2. Once it was updated,it already knew who I was! It greeted me by name.

3. Love the price.

4. Easy to use App store.

5. Its size makes it easy to carry and hold.

6. Video quality on Netflix was very good. The video streamed without interruption.

Cons:

1. There are no physical volume control buttons! It's a bit of a pain to look for the on-screen volume controls.

2. Minor complaint - The Weather Channel app doesn't have weather radar;used one of the other weather apps that did.

Wish list:

1. 3 or 4G capability. Amazon already has it on another model,so hopefully the Kindle Fire 2 will offer it.

2. SD card slot.

Conclusion:

Too early for a conclusion,but very pleased with it so far.

Here's my Kindle Fire;shown is a car video on Netflix; I moved my Pre- when I took the picture and it resulted in a slightly blurred picture.

dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Got my Kindle Fire today and it does have Bejeweled 2:

Click to view quoted image

Also,it's todays free app of the day.
    I stand corrected...thank you. I must have missed it when I searched the App store for it the first time...possibly because it's "below the fold" and I was really expecting "Bejeweled 2" to show up as the top result for a search for "Bejeweled 2".

I had also checked PopCap and EA's sites and didn't see mention of an Amazon Android specific port.
    AZTouchpad
    - 32Gb HP Touchpad, Palm Tungsten E, 32Gb iPhone 4, 16Gb iPod touch (1st Gen)
    *...and I think webOS is awesome
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - Gerald R. Ford
    Peep likes this.
    Here is my favorite quote from The Verge review:

Unlike the 1.3 pound iPad 2, I never felt fatigue after reading a book or magazine on the Fire.

Wow! Just wow! Tech reviewers are getting so weak that now the so called light as a feather because it is .3 pounds lighter (than a TouchPad) iPad 2 is too heavy? Give me a break!
    What a great quote. I could see a different quote around New Years:
    The x (fill in the blank) lb tablet is better--save money and time and gain muscle at the same time.
    To people complaining about reviewers complaining about weight, be aware that they are probably targeting their reviews to the actual target audience of the product. Remember, Amazon is targeting this to people that don’t really care about processor specs. My wife really likes her Nook Touch because it is really light and easy to hold with one hand while reading in bed. Not because it has a big screen and Ghz of processing power.

-Suntan
    Much of it is weight distribution too. It's easier to one hand a 1.3 lb tablet in a 7" form factor than a 10" tablet of comparable weight.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,475 Global Posts
    Much of it is weight distribution too. It's easier to one hand a 1.3 lb tablet in a 7" form factor than a 10" tablet of comparable weight.
    Right - I read PDFs for at least three hours a day - you notice the difference when you do it on the touchpad or the kindle for that period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTouchpad View Post
    ... I ran into the same problem with the Kindle Fire as the Touchpad...no "Bejeweled 2" and my mom LOVES Bejeweled. I was disappointed when I found that there was no "Bejeweled 2" in the HP App store...
    Err, did you forget about the famous TouchPad quote (created by me ) where we have "every site as an app"?? Point your TPad browser over to Popcap and enjoy the beauty that is Bejewled 2 running on Flash. I have it added to my launcher (ala instant app mode lol) and play it all the time.

Bejeweled® 2 | PopCap Games

(there are ads if you don't have the ad blocker patch)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right - I read PDFs for at least three hours a day - you notice the difference when you do it on the touchpad or the kindle for that period of time.
    Somehow the thought that "it feels so heavy in your hand" just sounds so dirty. Anyway I'm wondering how far reviewers are going to take this. Is this really something that is relevant? I could understand if the difference in weight was substantial, but we are talking about a few ounces here. I thought the argument was ridiculous when it was the TouchPad as the heavy weight vs the iPad2. Now the iPad2 is the heavy weight vs the Fire. I find it funny that I am defending the iPad2 but the argument is still stands. Sad part about all this is, just as with laptop, cars, and everything else we buy, as tablets become more popular, they will get bigger. Will we still be arguing about weight then? Also, is it prudent to compare the weight of a 7 inch tablet to that of a 10 inch? If all other things were equal except the screen size, common sense says the 10 inch will weight more.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Somehow the thought that "it feels so heavy in your hand" just sounds so dirty. Anyway I'm wondering how far reviewers are going to take this. Is this really something that is relevant? I could understand if the difference in weight was substantial, but we are talking about a few ounces here. I thought the argument was ridiculous when it was the TouchPad as the heavy weight vs the iPad2. Now the iPad2 is the heavy weight vs the Fire. I find it funny that I am defending the iPad2 but the argument is still stands. Sad part about all this is, just as with laptop, cars, and everything else we buy, as tablets become more popular, they will get bigger. Will we still be arguing about weight then? Also, is it prudent to compare the weight of a 7 inch tablet to that of a 10 inch? If all other things were equal except the screen size, common sense says the 10 inch will weight more.
    Funny equating it to the laptop. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone using/wanting to get a 17” laptop.

Anyway, I’ve got a 10” tablet right now and I wouldn’t mind having a 7” tablet to go with it. Sometimes 10” is great, sometimes I want something a little smaller/lighter.

Choice is good.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    And yet, it'll still sell like mad at the $199 price point and Amazon won't give a damn about the reviews. They've already had to increase their order to 5,000,000 to keep up with demand, so at least be honest about its chances for marketplace success. It's highly likely it'll do well with the mom and pop that don't sit with bated breath combing through specs in tech blogs.

The tech rags could call it just north of another Bandai Pippin (go ahead, look it up) but as long as people buy it in droves, it really doesn't matter what the reviews say.
    I'll just quote myself and drop this here link: Black Friday Kindle sales smash record thanks to Kindle Fire demand
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    As some others have alluded already you really have to consider the source when looking at these reviews. These tech bloggers standards and expectations are pretty unrealistic in light of this device' intended purpose, and WAY out of line with the average consumer. This is especially true in the case of The Verge. You could hand Josh Topolsky an Android tablet made of gold plated titanium with bulletproof glass, the highest res IPS display available, 5MP front camera, 12MP rear camera that records in 1080P, 16 core 3.2GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM and 1TB of storage and he would still take a dump on it because it's missing one thing - an Apple logo. I was listening to a podcast the other night where the hosts summed it up pretty well, saying that after they received their Kindle Fire that they would have never known it was the same device the reviewers were talking about had they not mentioned it by name, they're opinions were so skewed.
    Topolsky is in love with the Samsung Nexus Prime (Android 4.0/ICS) enough to recently call it perhaps the best phone he's ever used, so I don't know where you get off saying that. For that matter, he was a bigtime proponent of webOS not only in the first round, but also went on Jimmy Fallon to show off the Touchpad, Pre 3, and Veer before they were released after webOS got a second chance.

It's a laughable meme in its own right how many people have bombed Topolsky with "You're just an Apple fan-boy" comments between his time at Engadget and now The Verge when there's been plenty of evidence to the contrary. I thought their Kindle Fire review was pretty accurate--for extreme techheads obsessed with specs. To mom and pop, they don't care; the price is right.

I'm personally partial to Ars Technica, myself, but also quite like The Verge. Hell, the founding editor of PreCentral left PC to become one of the major writers for The Verge.
    Last edited by independent1; 11/28/2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Topolsky didn't just come by that rep because people hate his beard. It's not entirely unearned. Read back through the bulk of his reviews and you'll see him nitpick some perfectly good devices to death on points where he has often given Apple products a pass. Even memes have some truth behind them, and in his case there's sufficient evidence to say that he's more Apple fan-boy than not. I'd go as far as to say he is probably in the top three as far as Apple bias goes, behind Mossberg and Pogue. Granted,he does have a few pet devices outside of the fruit logo world, but by and large he is a total Machead from the word go. I've literally heard him all but say as much on a few podcasts he has done while both at Engadget and The Verge. And yes, I remember very well his enthusiasm as a proponent of webOS when the original Pre came on the scene three years ago and watched him demonstrate it on Fallon's show. Would have convinced me to buy one too had I been on Sprint at the time. But I think you may want to re-read his review of the Touchpad. He still praised the ideas behind webOS, but overall he slammed the device pretty hard.

I'll admit that what I wrote was pretty exaggerated, but I've seriously gotten halfway through a good number of his reviews in the past before I had to stop reading because he would say things that I knew not to be entirely true because I either owned the device or had used it. The guy just flatout annoys me, not only because of his Apple slant but also this smug, know-it-all demeanor he's cultivated over the years as well. We've all got our own opinions and that just happens to be mine, I guess.
    Last edited by penthus; 11/28/2011 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1229 View Post
    Pls go over to engadget and try viewing a video review.

This things sucks tbh. taps dont register, the device is slow and laggy at best!
    Are you talking about the TouchPad or the Kindle Fire? (or both?)

Well, the thing is $200. I think the TouchPad fire sales show that, at the right price point, people are willing to overlook horrific performance.

Ding! Beyond that, the Fire is still fairly capable. I think it is telling enough that people have to continually bring out the iPad 2 as a reason the Fire isn't so great. $200 is a far cry from $500 and the price will bring a lot of people in to the tablet market that weren't there before. For less than half the price of an iPad 2, you have to be willing to sacrifice a little something, but it is powered by Android and is built to play nice with Amazon, so there is plenty to like.

I briefly considered one, but the lack of a front camera is a deal breaker for me. I Skype enough that I need the front facing camera. Too bad, seems like a great deal for $200.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast