Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree14Likes
  1. sarlo100's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #1  
    Cyanogenmod is well developed for the Nook Color. The latest 7.1 version is everything Android should be, all the hacks and special features that they put into the ROM makes things about as usable as it can be.

    It still can't hold a candle to webOS. Don't get me wrong, a Nook Color with 7.1, overclocked to 1200mhz isn't a bad thing at all. It's an effective tool, which runs just about anything the Android world can offer quite well. But that's it. The difference in work flow between Android and webOS really is night and day. My wife finally discovered my Touchpad this week. She has been using it an awful lot, since. Her conclusion (and she's a techie) - it's just about as good as her laptop for most general computing needs.

    The hacked Nook Color? Not so much. I "stuck" her with the NC this afternoon, as I wanted to keep up with my fantasy team - who performed miserably, anybody who has Chris Johnson on their team should know my pain. She handed the NC back to me and grabbed my Touchpad after 10 minutes. Reason? The Touchpad plain "worked better". If anything, she had more experience with Android than webOS before last week. Android simply isn't as intuitive, doesn't flow nearly as well, and having a fully functioning browser makes all the difference.

    The only, and I mean only, reason for Android is access to the market. That does make a difference, and keeps the NC in the discussion. But...merely letting webOS die really is criminal. I can't imagine going back to an Android only world. It simply doesn't work as well.
  2. #2  
    I can't agree more. IMO, webos is far better than Android, even better than IOS. However, without enough apps, webos has no future.
  3. #3  
    TouchPad works like you do.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  4. Xsever's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #4  
    I have CM7 on my TP and I believe that android is much more mature and exciting because of apps and completeness.

    WebOS multitasking is phenomenal, but for example there is no find text feature in the browser. Are you kidding me? We're in 2011.

    Other things that annoy me in WebOS are the lack of good video player apps, lack of apps in general, and the fact that many tweaks are made by volunteers through patches rather than HP taking their ideas and listening to our needs and incorporatig them in updates.

    I am still switching betwen both OS, but when I get into Android, it's a totally different experience.

    Anyway, to each his own and happy tableting to everyone.
  5. #5  
    Let's see what ICS fares for us webOS fans... I'm really curious about ICS. It might be enough for me to drop this obsession with webOS.
  6. DeadVim's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by xsever View Post
    I have CM7 on my TP and I believe that android is much more mature and exciting because of apps and completeness.

    WebOS multitasking is phenomenal, but for example there is no find text feature in the browser. Are you kidding me? We're in 2011.

    Other things that annoy me in WebOS are the lack of good video player apps, lack of apps in general, and the fact that many tweaks are made by volunteers through patches rather than HP taking their ideas and listening to our needs and incorporatig them in updates.

    I am still switching betwen both OS, but when I get into Android, it's a totally different experience.

    Anyway, to each his own and happy tableting to everyone.
    Agreed, webOS multi-tasking is great and works very well.

    I just need to find some polished/useable/bug-free tasks I want to use simultaneously ....
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
  7. LOGIK3's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #7  
    Agree. I love webos. Multitasking is so NICE!!!! But android have so much more apps!
  8. #8  
    I dual boot between webOS 3.0.4 & CM7 2.1 Alpha in 50/50 ratio
    When CM7 first came out I said "Goodbye webOS!" and figured that I will use CM7 in most cases. I was wrong

    I find my self in WebOS most of the time and just visit CM7 when I want to play some games that WebOS don't have. If not those "FEW" apps & games in CM7 Android that I use, I would be in WebOS 100% of the time
  9. #9  
    Comparing a 1.2Ghz, dual-core Touchpad against an Android-based, single-core e-reader artificially overclocked beyond spec with significantly less RAM, and has a smaller screen but has a fairly stable version of CM7 dropped into it isn't exactly the most fair of comparisons to be made in terms of smoothness of user experience.

    Multitasking, gestures, and swipes sure. General user experience in a non-technical performance sense. As long as the comparison is isolated to those parameters and has nothing to do with technical performance (lag, etc).

    The only real way to get a true 1:1 comparison would be to have someone use a Touchpad with webOS 3.0.4 vs Touchpad with a stable version of CyanogenMod, and that's not even possible yet.
  10. Xsever's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Comparing a 1.2Ghz, dual-core Touchpad against an Android-based, single-core e-reader artificially overclocked beyond spec with significantly less RAM, and has a smaller screen but has a fairly stable version of CM7 dropped into it isn't exactly the most fair of comparisons to be made in terms of smoothness of user experience.

    Multitasking, gestures, and swipes sure. General user experience in a non-technical performance sense. As long as the comparison is isolated to those parameters and has nothing to do with technical performance (lag, etc).

    The only real way to get a true 1:1 comparison would be to have someone use a Touchpad with webOS 3.0.4 vs Touchpad with a stable version of CyanogenMod, and that's not even possible yet.
    Very well put!
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlo100 View Post
    Cyanogenmod is well developed for the Nook Color. The latest 7.1 version is everything Android should be, all the hacks and special features that they put into the ROM makes things about as usable as it can be.

    It still can't hold a candle to webOS. Don't get me wrong, a Nook Color with 7.1, overclocked to 1200mhz isn't a bad thing at all. It's an effective tool, which runs just about anything the Android world can offer quite well. But that's it. The difference in work flow between Android and webOS really is night and day. My wife finally discovered my Touchpad this week. She has been using it an awful lot, since. Her conclusion (and she's a techie) - it's just about as good as her laptop for most general computing needs.

    The hacked Nook Color? Not so much. I "stuck" her with the NC this afternoon, as I wanted to keep up with my fantasy team - who performed miserably, anybody who has Chris Johnson on their team should know my pain. She handed the NC back to me and grabbed my Touchpad after 10 minutes. Reason? The Touchpad plain "worked better". If anything, she had more experience with Android than webOS before last week. Android simply isn't as intuitive, doesn't flow nearly as well, and having a fully functioning browser makes all the difference.

    The only, and I mean only, reason for Android is access to the market. That does make a difference, and keeps the NC in the discussion. But...merely letting webOS die really is criminal. I can't imagine going back to an Android only world. It simply doesn't work as well.
    I completely agree with everything you say, yet my device is still booted into android 99%* - because when I want to do actual honest to god work, the touch-pad doesn't have the software available to make that happen. Without the apps, it's worthless to me. An OS without a decent app market is half an OS.



    * and in the 1% of times I boot into WebOS I'm always reminded how much easier it is to use than Android.
  12. #12  
    My pet hates in Android:
    1.Standard keyboard without the number keys

    2.Non intuitive task switching (it's simple, but if you don't know how then it's annoying)

    3.I miss swiping up an app to minimise or close it.

    My pet hates in WebOS:
    1.Overpriced & fewer apps compared to other platforms

    2.WebOS feels sluggish to use (but is improving slowly)

    3.The cards I find, clutter up the desktop, If they could be hidden away to the notification bar that would be perfect.
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

    My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
  13. Xsever's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    My pet hates in Android:
    1.Standard keyboard without the number keys
    Download Hacker's keyboard from the market and thank me later!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by xsever View Post
    Download Hacker's keyboard from the market and thank me later!
    Thanks will try that. I have been playing with different keyboards and am currently using thumb keyboard which seems good so far. But i'm always willing to try something new
    Touchpad Handbrake Video Settings:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html

    My collection of backgrounds for WebOS:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Wallpapers/
  15. #15  
    I have loved webos since I first got my palm pre- and had longed for hardware worthy of it until I was able to snag a touchpad. I have supported webos homebrewers through donations and have paid a premium to developers who have dared to bet on it by releasing stripped down versions of software offered for less on other platforms. I understand economies of scale and wanted to reward them.

    I have waved the webos flag to friends and family - "hey look here, functional multi-tasking done ELEGANTLY and INTUITAVELY!"

    I installed CM7 to have OPTIONS fully expecting to spend most of my time in Webos. You know what?????

    I haven't booted back into webos since alpha2 came out! I have been able to let go of my obsession with needing to make sure apps are closed and have come out the other side unscathed. I have gotten used to not being able to multitask with ease.

    Evertime I think of something I want to do on my TP, I fire up the market and BAM - I am greeted with multiple options at resonable prices (like FREE!). I have gotten used to this!

    My browsing habits are pedestrian and are easily met by any browser. I had no issue with the stock webos one but I have to say Opera mobile is a cut above and beats webos handily at being intuitive and elegant.

    I am not a fanatic of anything! I will use whatever hardware/software combination completes my tasks best and will pay more for BETTER.

    If ICS brings some of webos's finer touches and Webos continues to fall further behind in app development then anyone continuing to bang this drum looks like just that - a fanatic....

    edit- this may be a stopgap measure.....

    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    Last edited by crutzulee; 10/31/2011 at 10:29 AM.
    In my country, first there is man, then horse, then dog, then little crutzulee....
  16. Xsever's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    I have loved webos since I first got my palm pre- and had longed for hardware worthy of it until I was able to snag a touchpad. I have supported webos homebrewers through donations and have paid a premium to developers who have dared to bet on it by releasing stripped down versions of software offered for less on other platforms. I understand economies of scale and wanted to reward them.

    I have waved the webos flag to friends and family - "hey look here, functional multi-tasking done ELEGANTLY and INTUITAVELY!"

    I installed CM7 to have OPTIONS fully expecting to spend most of my time in Webos. You know what?????

    I haven't booted back into webos since alpha2 came out! I have been able to let go of my obsession with needing to make sure apps are closed and have come out the other side unscathed. I have gotten used to not being able to multitask with ease.

    Evertime I think of something I want to do on my TP, I fire up the market and BAM - I am greeted with multiple options at resonable prices (like FREE!). I have gotten used to this!

    My browsing habits are pedestrian and are easily met by any browser. I had no issue with the stock webos one but I have to say Opera mobile is a cut above and beats webos handily at being intuitive and elegant.

    I am not a fanatic of anything! I will use whatever hardware/software combination completes my tasks best and will pay more for BETTER.

    If ICS brings some of webos's finer touches and Webos continues to fall further behind in app development then anyone continuing to bang this drum looks like just that - a fanatic....

    edit- this may be a stopgap measure.....

    https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    I was going to tell you about Task Changer PRO, but you beat me to it.

    My experience has been exactly the same as yours. I thought so highly of WebOS until I tried CM7.

    If you have no problems with privacy, try Opera Mini instead of Mobile and save on battery and data crunching. I've been using the mini version for 2 days now and my data savings are 88%.

    As for WebOS, we'll say it again: take multitasking out of the equation (ignoring Task Changer Pro for Android) and you're left with a handful only of good apps, no text find in web pages, and dependence on volunteers to produce patches to allow for very basic settings that HP decided to ignore.

    Android/iOS are much more mature and exciting and that's the reason why the Touchpad did not sell well. It's reality and we have to face it sadly.
    Last edited by xsever; 10/31/2011 at 11:40 AM.
  17. #17  
    I want to give CM7 a shot but still worried about 3 issues:

    1) Faster battery drain
    2) SOD (Sleep of Death)
    3) Wifi Issues

    I'm all over CM7 when/if these issues are resolved.
  18. sarlo100's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #18  
    Interesting viewpoints. I have to agree with the app situation, Android really is miles ahead in that department. But I still think webOS just plain works better as a system. Perhaps ICS will be the jump forward that Android needs to become the "all weather" answer to ipad/phone. It's just a shame it won't be webOS - they simply will never catch up in the app dept to be a true player. I'm sure I'll end up dual booting CM when version 9 becomes stable. Eventually, I'll leave webOS behind, barring a miracle recovery.

    It doesn't mean I'll have to like it, though.
  19. sarlo100's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Comparing a 1.2Ghz, dual-core Touchpad against an Android-based, single-core e-reader artificially overclocked beyond spec with significantly less RAM, and has a smaller screen but has a fairly stable version of CM7 dropped into it isn't exactly the most fair of comparisons to be made in terms of smoothness of user experience.

    Multitasking, gestures, and swipes sure. General user experience in a non-technical performance sense. As long as the comparison is isolated to those parameters and has nothing to do with technical performance (lag, etc).

    The only real way to get a true 1:1 comparison would be to have someone use a Touchpad with webOS 3.0.4 vs Touchpad with a stable version of CyanogenMod, and that's not even possible yet.
    What you outlined was what I was getting at. I would not expect an overclocked Nook to compare with an overclocked Touchpad on any kind of technical level. I was getting at the overall user experience. I guess we'll see what ICS brings.
  20. DeadVim's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I want to give CM7 a shot but still worried about 3 issues:

    1) Faster battery drain
    2) SOD (Sleep of Death)
    3) Wifi Issues

    I'm all over CM7 when/if these issues are resolved.
    2) and 3) may, or may not, affect you. My wifi is rock-solid and SODs are few.

    1) is liveable, but I am not a heavy mobile user.

    Considering you can always remove CM7 or default boot to webOS there is little risk in trying ...
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions