Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lrn2swim
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me or if people are going to push for an andriod option for additional apps and choices wouldn't it be way cooler to run 'andriod' as an app instead? Is this not possible or were people just not thinking in this direction?

It would be great too if anyone wanted to play.. getting the PC garmin version working on the touchpad with a bluetooth gps. The external gps issue already has a fix from what I gather, but no good gps software to run yet.
    Someone is way ahead of you. A guy by the name chomper made exactly what your talking about, but he's still working things out.

edit: here you go....... http://forums.precentral.net/other-tablets/302291-test-ipk-released-android-touchpad-special-applicaiton-new-post.html
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    Is it just me or if people are going to push for an andriod option for additional apps and choices wouldn't it be way cooler to run 'andriod' as an app instead? Is this not possible or were people just not thinking in this direction?

It would be great too if anyone wanted to play.. getting the PC garmin version working on the touchpad with a bluetooth gps. The external gps issue already has a fix from what I gather, but no good gps software to run yet.
    It has been developed, to an extent, and you may wish to read this:

http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...plicaiton.html

There were issues with installing/uninstalling it that may affect your webOS build so tread carefully ... Personally I like nothing between my OS and the hardware but I see the casual appeal of Android apps within a webOS framework.

I am not sure if the dev, Chomper, is still progressing this.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Having an app as an OS is like having a bicycle as a Mercedes.

Not possible. What are you thinking?
    What is running an OS within an environment like VirtualBox then?

It's just emulation.

It may not be the most efficient way of running an OS but, in some cases, it is the most convenient.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OP did not say Android apps.
    He said Android THE OS as an app.
    Yes, I know.

The Chomper build is Android, the OS, running in a card.
    OP did not say Android apps.
    He said Android THE OS as an app.
    That's exactly what that thread is... Did you read it?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Uh... i have to admit... no.
    The honesty is to be admired

I would imagine that this thread will be moved within the hour so probably time to mention that all things 'Android On Touchpad' can also be discussed in the link in my signature.
    Having an app as an OS is like having a bicycle as a Mercedes.

Fixed this for ya!
    "Having an OS as an app"
  9.    #9  
    love the passion guys.. to be honest right now I don't need much, but down the road being able to run the andriod app's maybe pretty important if amazon or samsung doesn't pick up the os. On the other hand if webos lives on, I see no issues other than some games that don't make it cross platform.

second thought.. I'd love a app for sirius radio asap, someone want to get on that This is a miss on sirius xm's part imo.

I'd also love better printer support..

So my real list of wants.. in order

1) printer support for my brother aio (if not to my wireless printer, maybe to my pc)
    2) sirius app
    3) port of a good gps app, the old tomtom app from windows mobil or the full garmin pc

Added 4) netflix app :P
    Last edited by stumblinh; 10/26/2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    On the other hand if webos lives on, I see no issues other than some games that don't make it cross platform.
    I'd say the same thing except I'd also like to add Pulse News, Netflix app, Swiftkey X(keyboard), Opera or Dolphin HD browser, Google Voice search or Vlingo, Alarm Clock Xtreme or Gentle Alarm, Amazon apps(MP3 and store), Cnet app, Poweramp, Picasa app, Doggcatcher, XDA app, an actual Skype app, and fandango. OK, i guess I won't be completely fine.
    I'd say webos badly needs games. Is there an online petition to get Gamesloft porting HD games to webos? I loved Asphalt 6 but I need something new that's immersive and got great graphics. I also dislike those ripoff EA games.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Having an OS as an app is like having a Mercedes as a bicycle.

Funny you say that considering my dad's wife has a Mercedes brand bicycle. Just because you personally don't know of something does not mean it doesn't exist.
    un_designer and dadueler like this.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...