Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    check out this story:

http://claytonmorris.com/blog/2011/10/21/hp-testing-windows-8-on-touchpads.html
    Ok, now I'm becoming plain confused.

Didn't we just see a thread / rumor about imminent layouts coming? Now this one is saying "TPs may not be historical artifacts after all" and "layoff notices are also on hold". And when he says "hardware team has been busy doing proof of concept work testing Windows 8 Preview Edition on the fire sale devices", could this be why other deliverables were delayed - resources were tied up? And didn't they kill the hardware team already?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    No wonder nobody likes this company anymore.
    So violent
    Duly noted.. Must be coming from a place of confusion and frustration...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    As I just said in the other thread about this:

Just because they're using a Touchpad for some internal testing of Windows 8 doesn't mean that Win8 will be released for it. It's the only ARM tablet that they at HP, and they have it in abundance, so of course they'd be doing some testing on it.

But most likely that testing is only to decide whether or not to make future Win8 ARM tablets. I would say with 99.9% certainty that there is no way that the Touchpad will ever run Win8 as a consumer product.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Never going to happen - Windows 8 tablets will be released to consumers towards the end of 2012, early 2013, they aren't going to use the touchpad hardware for this, although as jhoff says it's logically they are using the hardware for testing as they have it on hand.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    will HP sell a touchpad with win8? No.

will touchpad be able to run windows8? I think one way or another, someone will get it working.
    windows 8 is too far off to realistically be a consumer product on this hardware, but its interesting that they are testing with it.
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyPhono View Post
    windows 8 is too far off to realistically be a consumer product on this hardware, but its interesting that they are testing with it.
    actually they demoed windows 8 on a system that has similar hardware to touchpad AnandTech - A look at Windows 8 Tablets running on TI, Qualcomm, Nvidia, AMD and Intel silicon

read the section under Qualcomm. its not exceptional compared to the other demos, but proves it is still possible. that demo hardware is essentially the same as what touchpad has:

(touchpad) APQ8060, 45 nm , 1.2 GHz Dual-core Scorpion, Adreno 220m, Single-channel 333 MHz ISM/266 MHz LPDDR2, Connectivity features not included

vs.

(MSM8660 in the link above) 45 nm, 1.2-1.5 GHz Dual-core Scorpion, Adreno 220, Single-channel 333 MHz ISM/266 MHz LPDDR2,
    GSM (GPRS, EDGE), W-CDMA/UMTS (HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+), MBMS,
    CDMA2000 (1xRTT, 1xEV-DO Rel.0/Rev.A/Rev.B, 1xEV-DO MC Rev.A)
    Yup, MS is developing a Win 8 variant for ARM CPU's. The TP should be able to run it but it is far off at this point.

The TP needs a digitizer screen to be viable in that market IMO...
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    Yup, MS is developing a Win 8 variant for ARM CPU's. The TP should be able to run it but it is far off at this point.

The TP needs a digitizer screen to be viable in that market IMO...
    Yes, if they really demoed it with another tablet with about the same specs, then it should be possible for the TP to run it. But then again: even if that is so, how will one be able to install it?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yes, if they really demoed it with another tablet with about the same specs, then it should be possible for the TP to run it. But then again: even if that is so, how will one be able to install it?
    dont worry. i'm sure one way or another a person on this forum will figure out a way to do it :P
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    IMO, Android is still the TP's best chance for longevity after WebOS.
    hope...

installing on desktop right now...
    Last edited by patapoof; 03/01/2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: mor
    Balooz likes this.
    It's probably NOT going to happen.

WOA (Windows on Arm) will only be sold with devices. This means that you can't go to the store and purchase a software license for it. You have to purchase the hardware and the hardware will be tied to your software license. Sort of the case with Dell/HP or any other OEM manufacturer where you can purchase a PC with Windows pre-installed, but you can't re-sell the COA, as it is attached to the hardware physically, and legally.

Android can be ported to the Touchpad because it is open source and you only need to agree to the license.

The Touchpad is capable or running WOA but whoever does it will be violating the law and most forums will not allow this since it will amount to software piracy.

I'm not making the case against it, I would love WOA on the TP also. It's just not realistic to see it happening.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post

WOA (Windows on Arm) will only be sold with devices. This means that you can't go to the store and purchase a software license for it. You have to purchase the hardware and the hardware will be tied to your software license. Sort of the case with Dell/HP or any other OEM manufacturer where you can purchase a PC with Windows pre-installed, but you can't re-sell the COA, as it is attached to the hardware physically, and legally.

Android can be ported to the Touchpad because it is open source and you only need to agree to the license.

The Touchpad is capable or running WOA but whoever does it will be violating the law and most forums will not allow this since it will amount to software piracy.

I'm not making the case against it, I would love WOA on the TP also. It's just not realistic to see it happening.
    Yes I too lost hope when I read over internet that it will not be sold in Dvd/Cd format which u can buy & install it on whatever u want. It's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    Yes I too lost hope when I read over internet that it will not be sold in Dvd/Cd format which u can buy & install it on whatever u want. It's sad.
    ...you can be sure someone will hack it and have it running on any arm device likely before it is even out in the stores on new devices ...IMHO...

I really hope that WOA gets invoked or something. Microsoft is going to attempt to lockout the entire Linux user base for ARM based hardware running Windows 8. As a consumer i want choice! I dont want to be even more locked in to Microsoft software.
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
    I really hope that WOA gets invoked or something. Microsoft is going to attempt to lockout the entire Linux user base for ARM based hardware running Windows 8. As a consumer i want choice! I dont want to be even more locked in to Microsoft software.
    Why not? There are so many hacked versions of windows for phones it isn't funny ...I have a wimo6.1 fone with hacked 6.5 on it with msOfficeMobile hacked on it and lots more ...don't use it anymore ...nothing stops the hackers...

give a high school kid unlimited cheetoes and a case of jolt cola and overnight he'll have it ready... the fone makers are stupid ...they could pit the software makers against each other if they offered the fones with user choice of software on it ...the prices would plummet as a result ...competition, man does it work !!
    It's not that it won't happen, it's just that legally, you're not supposed to do it. That also means that many forums will not allow you to discuss this because it's piracy, and that's the lesser one of the legal issues.
    It's not that it won't happen, it's just that legally, you're not supposed to do it. That also means that many forums will not allow you to discuss this because it's piracy, and that's the lesser one of the legal issues.
    it was and is neither my intent to condone nor to promote piracy ...one thing I do say is the differential existence of trialware & pirateware is effaced if the user purchases after trial of either (I have) or deletes what is not paid (I also have). I would suggest tablet operating system choice could be a good thing for hardware suppliers with the resulting shake-out determined more by end user satisfaction than overpriced overhyped ad driven panache ...I want what I want ...herd mentality and tent cities in best buy parking lots don't push the craft forward anywhere but to the cashier ...I wanted the touchpad and the bargain prices put it in my hands while an iPad is out of reach ...I like to decide.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast