webOS Nation Forums >  HP TouchPad >  Other webOS Tablets > Microsoft should port Windows 8 to TouchPad
Microsoft should port Windows 8 to TouchPad

Old 10/19/2011, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Think what a great PR exercise this would be for them. 1M TouchPad owners would be happy for the support. A massive boost to the W8 user base. Win Win
Old 10/19/2011, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quite frankly, even if every webOS user installed a hypothetical Win8 build, a million users is a drop in the bucket for Windows.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Quite frankly, even if every webOS user installed a hypothetical Win8 build, a million users is a drop in the bucket for Windows.
Kind of what I was thinking. Add in that Windows is the proverbial "Do everything by the book" company. No way would their culture allow them to "port" their OS to any existing product.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

"_____X_____ should port _____Y_____ to the Touchpad" posts are getting real old when there's no chance in hell it'd happen.

Any 'ports' of any OS to the Touchpad or any other webOS hardware are going to come from the hobbyist community, and no closed-source OS (Windows 8, iOS, etc) will never touch the hardware. Find open-source operating systems to port over, as that will be much more realistic.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
obviously I was thinking about the arm version, which isn't on anything yet

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Old 10/19/2011, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

From everything they've said, Microsoft doesn't see it as an ARM version and a x86 version, it's just Windows. I doubt they care if one does better than the other, they're just giving manufacturers the option (I say manufacturers because I doubt the ARM version will be installable by end-users... since for ARM everything is just too tightly integrated to the hardware).
Old 10/19/2011, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

True, but seeing how popular the touchpad has become, I wouldn't put it past the hobbyist to get it running on the touchpad once released. If you look at some of the projects going on over at XDA, not hard to believe what a dev community can accomplish in spare time on unsupported hardware. Especially when the OS is ARM compatible from the get-go. Didn't some of the tablets they previewed have similar Qualcomm chipsets as well?
vdubskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

There's also the problem that ARM apps will be largely incompatible with the x86 version and vice-versa. So its use will be quite limited.

Trying to sort out custom drivers for the TP hardware relative to whatever ARM based devices Win8 is released for would likely be no picnic either.
KnightNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
There's also the problem that ARM apps will be largely incompatible with the x86 version and vice-versa. So its use will be quite limited.

Trying to sort out custom drivers for the TP hardware relative to whatever ARM based devices Win8 is released for would likely be no picnic either.
I agree on the second part. The first is also true for legacy apps, but Microsoft seems to think that people will go all in on Metro apps, which will have no such cross-platform limitations.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0