Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    What I want is run a couple of Android apps in webOS, not boot Android in my webOS device. Doing so would be like accepting that Android has taken over webOS, while I'd prefer saying that webOS has eaten Android.

I guess it can be done, porting the Dalvik virtual machine, and wiring its Android classes to webOS functions. Are there any ongoing projects that you could point me at?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yes Chomper - there is a thread here somewhere.
    I don't know what the draw to web os is. It's ok but why spend time doing all of that work on a dying system. When you can dual boot it with a thriving os. If you want to use web os u still have it.

sent from my thunderbolt
    The cm 7 developers said they don't see the point of this project since webos is already so slow and running android will slow it down more. Plus running android like that will also be slow.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    They work on their Android roms, so they're not going to do anything outside that.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

It's actually called Chroid. Chomper is the person who is communicating the updates on behalf of the developer.

Android on Webos (chroid) 0.1 Alpha is out for tasting. (update 10/08 IPK) - xda-developers
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Opps!
    So 'Choid' itself, IS a 'virtual machine'?
    Running on a 'card' IN WebOS?

Yes, just like how you can run Unbutu in a card right now.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    For those who just want to use Chroid as a PDF reader (with sharp fonts, the PDF patch doesn't cut it), having a stable release would be a godsend.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
    For those who just want to use Chroid as a PDF reader (with sharp fonts, the PDF patch doesn't cut it), having a stable release would be a godsend.
    I'll go on record as saying that, if you're loading an entire operating system on top of webOS just to read PDFs, you're using a 100' crane to lift a single brick off the ground to move it a foot away.

Even if you're loading an Android app through a card, you're still loading/booting all of Android (and the Dalvik engine) on top of webOS--what the OP doesn't want in the first place. It's not being built to load just the Dalvik engine; Chroid still loads the entire freakin' OS. (When you run Ubuntu in a card, you're loading all of Ubuntu in that card--on top of webOS. It's no different.)

Unless someone actively ports the Dalvik engine to handle Android apps on webOS exclusive of needing the OS itself, you can't get away from having to boot Android. It's that simple.
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/14/2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Yeah, i'm hoping Chroid matures into something genuinely useful.

I don't like Android much, but i'd like to run some of the apps in cards on webOS.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    I don't know what the draw to web os is.
    I just really like it. I have a Pre-, my wife just got a Veer, and we have a Touchpad. Its really nice to have webOS across all our devices, especially since we both like it very much.

I have tried Android phones and tablets, but I just don't enjoy the experience as much.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    I just really like it. I have a Pre-, my wife just got a Veer, and we have a Touchpad. Its really nice to have webOS across all our devices, especially since we both like it very much.

I have tried Android phones and tablets, but I just don't enjoy the experience as much.
    agreed, webOS feels better to use, android angers me sometimes, and lets be real here, people want androids apps, not the android OS.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Right I don't give a toss about android but I love those apps.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    ght likes this.
  15. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    There is a project called Palmdroid out there somewhere that intends to create an app compatibility layer for webOS to run Android apps.

[ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread - xda-developers

This would be the ideal solution. Android's massive app catalog on webOS? What could be better?
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I'll go on record as saying that, if you're loading an entire operating system on top of webOS just to read PDFs, you're using a 100' crane to lift a single brick off the ground to move it a foot away.

Even if you're loading an Android app through a card, you're still loading/booting all of Android (and the Dalvik engine) on top of webOS--what the OP doesn't want in the first place. It's not being built to load just the Dalvik engine; Chroid still loads the entire freakin' OS. (When you run Ubuntu in a card, you're loading all of Ubuntu in that card--on top of webOS. It's no different.)

Unless someone actively ports the Dalvik engine to handle Android apps on webOS exclusive of needing the OS itself, you can't get away from having to boot Android. It's that simple.
    It's called baby steps. You start with all of it then you start figuring out how to pull out only the parts you want at any time.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    There is a project called Palmdroid out there somewhere that intends to create an app compatibility layer for webOS to run Android apps.

[ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread - xda-developers

This would be the ideal solution. Android's massive app catalog on webOS? What could be better?
    I experimented a bit around with this myself. One major problem (for me) is the insanely crappy build system the Android people are using, with funny Makefiles all over the place. Now that I've setup my environment properly I might give it another try.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Perhaps this would be a solution when it is ready to be released for webos:
    Myriad
    Installed chroid as per intructions on xda using preware. Got error message while installing
    Downloading / Installing -mkdir:can't create directory '/system':File exists . Then package installed . I run chroid buggy mess/pseudo Android . Then it crops up in background when running webOS after I close chroid. Only way to keep this from happening is to restart Touchpad and not open chroid. Did I do something wrong ? Or is this the nature of the beast? Eventually uninstalled chroid as Govnah refused to allow me to use Uberkernel profile. Was hoping to avoid Cyanogenmod Alpha. Every time I type chroid autocorrect replaces it with chronic ,which seems apt. Please let me know your thoughts , thanks again Apelles
    Last edited by Apelles; 10/16/2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typos
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    I experimented a bit around with this myself.
    Great! Would you keep us prompted? ?'ve taken a look at Palmdroid thread, and seems to be dried. Pity because I prefer the Dalvik porting route, instead of Chroid's solution, essentially putting a whole Android inside a webOS app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast