Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI...see link.

take care,

Jay

HP Promises New Tablet, Could It Be Windows 8?
    October 4, 2011 by Peter Judge

HP Promises New Tablet, Could It Be Windows 8? | eWEEK Europe UK

HP says a non-webOS tablet is on its way, and the PC business will only spin off if it makes it stronger
    Hewlett-Packard will launch new tablets in future, despite cancelling the webOS-based TouchPad, and is evaluating Windows 8 for the purpose, executives have said.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    HP-destined forever to be a Windows shop. Why am I not surprised?

Disappointing.
    Rnp and VCI_Cell like this.
    HP Slate 2? $900?<---names & numbers pulled out of a hat Think I'll wait for the firesale on these ones.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    HP was talking about putting webOS on computers, it would be cool if they put it on this tablet, best of both worlds.
    If specifically they say it is not WebOS, I guess that would mean it is not with WebOS as well as not being all WebOS??

Yet, if they are serious about keeping WebOS and leveraging it, that would be a good thing to put on a Slate600/Win8 Tablet. It would differentiate it from other Win8 Tablets out there, and show whomever might consider licensing WebOS that it adds value to a pure Win8 Tab. The thing is, does it add to Win8? Or has Mango's successor gone beyond anything WebOS has to offer?

It would have to execute flawlessly on Win8, and not slow the tablet down. If they are really keeping people working on WebOS, that would give them something to do.

By the way, I wonder what the sales figures for the Slate 500 are compared to the ("pre" and post firesale) Touchpads were. If Slate didn't sell, why is it still available at a high price and not firesaled as well?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Maybe they are going to crank out the old one and chuck the CM Android build on it.
    After HP burned all their retail partners with the whole TouchPad fiasco,I wonder how many of them will even want to offer Windows 8 or Android tablets with the HP name on it.

Either way, I won't be buying it. My first & last HP product will be the TouchPad. I bet once they start manufacturing Windows 8 or Android tablets they will wish they had more control over the OS, so it can integrate better with their cloud services and such, but oh wait... whoops.
  8.    #8  
    Hi all,

I still think HP has another big problem besides the fact that the so ruined their reputation with their business partners and the public.

The need a pipeline for Music, Video, games, ebooks, etc.....that's where the money is.

They make a fortune on printers not because of the low margin printers themselves but b/c of ink & photo paper.

They should have set this up for the TouchPad and now this new pad to have a pipeline so that the PC division would be much, much higher profit revenue stream. That's what Apple did & that's what Amazon is doing and that's what Mark Hurd wanted to do....sadly he got in to his own trouble...then came Leo who apparently knows less than zero about marketing and creating an entire new revue stream.

I still say Leo turned gold into lead and got paid a fortune to do so!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    i really think the best move at this stage is for HP to get completely out of the mobile space. Never speak of it again and move on. They screwed this up so bad that any consumer product is bound to fail.

I guess I could see them do anther crappy slate device and over charge business buyers again.

Again, just stop with anything mobile already. You've done enough damage.
    fxspec06 and ilovedessert like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I still think HP has another big problem besides the fact that the so ruined their reputation with their business partners and the public.

The need a pipeline for Music, Video, games, ebooks, etc.....that's where the money is.

They make a fortune on printers not because of the low margin printers themselves but b/c of ink & photo paper.

They should have set this up for the TouchPad and now this new pad to have a pipeline so that the PC division would be much, much higher profit revenue stream. That's what Apple did & that's what Amazon is doing and that's what Mark Hurd wanted to do....sadly he got in to his own trouble...then came Leo who apparently knows less than zero about marketing and creating an entire new revue stream.

I still say Leo turned gold into lead and got paid a fortune to do so!

Take care,

Jay
    this is why I think they are 100% finished with a tablet that could show up at a best buy, etc. The consumer tablet space for HP is OVER. With that - WebOS is over unless someone wants to buy it and get HP's hands off it. If someone buys it, they need something in the contract that HP can never mention WebOS, talk about mobile devices EVER AGAIN!
    ilovedessert likes this.
    So they went back to the good old windows ecosystem! HP what was the point of buying WebOS?
    VCI_Cell and ilovedessert like this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    this is why I think they are 100% finished with a tablet that could show up at a best buy, etc. The consumer tablet space for HP is OVER. With that - WebOS is over unless someone wants to buy it and get HP's hands off it. If someone buys it, they need something in the contract that HP can never mention WebOS, talk about mobile devices EVER AGAIN!
    Hi all,

I'm too tired to look for it now....but I posted an article the other day, that said that Amazon wasn't just interested in the webOS division, but in the small firm and technology HP acquired when it started dealing with the idea of smartphones as wallets...HP wanted to make hardware & software for it...of course as you pointed out HP's name on anything dealing even remotely with smartphones is now the equal to box office poison.

Amazon already has Paypal like division so they have the basic financial structured in place after all they financial division handles millions of transactions a day....getting into this area is a natural progression....

Take care,

Jay
    After HP burned all their retail partners with the whole TouchPad fiasco,I wonder how many of them will even want to offer Windows 8 or Android tablets with the HP name on it.

I will. This whole "HP burned everyone and needs to drop out of mobile" talk is way, way over the top. Most retailers (and sane people) realize what a crazy situation the Touchpad fire sale was and do not judge HP by that one event.

Windows 8 tablets will not be competing directly with the rest of the tablet field since they will be fully functional PC systems (at least the x86 ones). And HP already has a leg up on the Windows tablet market with its Slate series of tablets. I'd be stupid to refuse to sell them just because HP's webOS blunder.

I also believe HP will hold on to webOS and make something of it, in spite of ceasing to make hardware for it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post

I will. This whole "HP burned everyone and needs to drop out of mobile" talk is way, way over the top. Most retailers (and sane people) realize what a crazy situation the Touchpad fire sale was and do not judge HP by that one event.

Windows 8 tablets will not be competing directly with the rest of the tablet field since they will be fully functional PC systems (at least the x86 ones). And HP already has a leg up on the Windows tablet market with its Slate series of tablets. I'd be stupid to refuse to sell them just because HP's webOS blunder.

I also believe HP will hold on to webOS and make something of it, in spite of ceasing to make hardware for it.

I'm sure HP's partners won't totally dis-associate themselves from HP because of the TouchPad fiasco, but it has left retailers with a bad taste in their mouths to say the least. When you have retailers like Best Buy, who were on the verge of sending 250,000 TouchPad's back to HP right before the firesale, I say that is not a good thing. Regardless of what OS HP's next tablet has on it, retailers will see HP Tablet, and have reservations about it.

Even if Windows 8 Tablets aren't competing directly with other tablets, the fact that they are like full fledged PC's gives it less of a chance in the market. Windows tablets have been on the market far longer than iPads, and they have had little success. The Window's 7 HP Slate has been on the market for a while, and you won't ever see it in any retail brick & mortar store (only online).

Either way, whatever HP decides to come out with for their next tablet, they will be facing an up hill battle because of what happened with the TouchPad. It's almost like what happened with the Pre- on Sprint. It left such a bad impression with them that they had reservations about carrying future webOS phones.

HP has their work cut out for them if they want to gain credibility as a contender in the Tablet space. As for me personally, I don't have much interest in HP beyond webOS and the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    where did they burn any retail partners?

they cut the price and cleared out all their inventory. Seems like they did the right thing rather than have the retailers send all the product back. I'm sure retailers didn't mind the insane traffic that the HP brought to retailers in this economy. That's apple crazy traffic that most stores would be begging to have.

They even went one further and repaired their relationships with their contract manufacturers and cleared out a lot of the excess parts by getting another small batch of Touchpads built.

If anything, HP proved they'll stand by what they make on the business side of things.

Although, who knows how long HP will support consumers on a dead ecosystem with rumors of a new OS like Windows 8 on the horizon. In the end, even consumers don't have much to complain about as most of them got the touchpad for $99. Any expectations on a lot of additional support beyond what's available now would be unrealistic anyways. Most people seem to like the touchpad hardware. A second gen version on Windows 8 might be received pretty well if the price is right.

Firesaling the product fixed a lot of problems for them that could have been much worse. They did a decent job of making lemonade out of this mess after completely botching the launch of the touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    where did they burn any retail partners?

they cut the price and cleared out all their inventory. Seems like they did the right thing rather than have the retailers send all the product back. I'm sure retailers didn't mind the insane traffic that the HP brought to retailers in this economy. That's apple crazy traffic that most stores would be begging to have.

They even went one further and repaired their relationships with their contract manufacturers and cleared out a lot of the excess parts by getting another small batch of Touchpads built.

If anything, HP proved they'll stand by what they make on the business side of things.

Although, who knows how long HP will support consumers on a dead ecosystem with rumors of a new OS like Windows 8 on the horizon. In the end, even consumers don't have much to complain about as most of them got the touchpad for $99. Any expectations on a lot of additional support beyond what's available now would be unrealistic anyways. Most people seem to like the touchpad hardware. A second gen version on Windows 8 might be received pretty well if the price is right.

Firesaling the product fixed a lot of problems for them that could have been much worse. They did a decent job of making lemonade out of this mess after completely botching the launch of the touchpad.
    Cancelling your Tablet after 49 days on the market is burning your retailers. Sure, HP ended up re-reimbursing their partners so they could sell the TouchPad for $99/$149, but the whole process & the way it was handled was a logistical nightmare, especially for online retailers. Just ask the many thousands of people who have had orders that were placed cancelled. Just ask the people who ordered directly from HP SMB store, who still have not received their TouchPads, after placing their orders over 6 weeks Ago. Many customers who were fortunate to get a TP are no doubt happy, and HP is trying to make things right, but in no way was this handled in a thought out manner.

As far as the manufacturing contracts, HP agreed to make additional TouchPad's not out of the kindness of their hearts, or to make things right; but because they were under a legal agreement with manufacturers to produce 1 million TouchPad's. If they didn't make the rest, HP would have gotten sued & would have had to pay them anyway, so they were better off just honoring the agreements to make an additional 100k-200k.

All I'm saying is that this experience will definitely cause retailers to second guess how big of a commitment they will make when it comes to HP & their tablet offerings. I'm pretty sure when HP releases their next tablet, retailers like Best Buy will not be placing orders for 275,000 units like they did with the TouchPad. Unless their next Tablet debuts at a firesale price, it will have a huge uphill battle.
    Cancelling your Tablet after 49 days on the market is burning your retailers.
    Ultimately the retailers won as they got rid of the inventory and gained a lot of unexpected traffic to their stores. The HP website won too as they gained a huge amount of awareness and traffic they didn't have before. People are still buying overpriced touchpad accessories off a bunch of retailers including the HP website.

Many customers who were fortunate to get a TP are no doubt happy, and HP is trying to make things right, but in no way was this handled in a thought out manner.
    They'll still end up with an overall positive brand reputation because of how many happy customers ended up with the product. Sure the firesale process didn't go smoothly, but all the positive comments about the product itself after the firesale speak volumes on how effectively they turned around the much larger WeboS disaster they created.

I'm pretty sure when HP releases their next tablet, retailers like Best Buy will not be placing orders for 275,000 units like they did with the TouchPad.
    I completely disagree. If i were Best Buy, i'd be loading up on the next HP tablet. Simply because HP is willing to make these products move no matter what it takes. If HP is willing to take a huge hit to drive customers to Best Buy stores, i'd be pretty thrilled as a Best Buy executive. Best Buy won't end up in that position anyways as HP will more than likely manage the this whole thing a lot better with the launch of a new tablet. Also having someone like Microsoft in the mix as only going to help sell the product better to retailers.
    Last edited by sparced; 10/05/2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Sure, HP ended up re-reimbursing their partners so they could sell the TouchPad for $99/$149, but the whole process & the way it was handled was a logistical nightmare, especially for online retailers.
    This is not the same thing as this:

Just ask the many thousands of people who have had orders that were placed cancelled. Just ask the people who ordered directly from HP SMB store, who still have not received their TouchPads, after placing their orders over 6 weeks Ago.
    Many consumers might have felt burned by the fire sale because they weren't able to get in fast enough, or they don't have the patience to wait for their TP to be delivered, but to say that it was a logistical nightmare for retailers is an assumption.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Likewise. Unfortunately, I believe that whatever HP does make of webOS (be it a glorified printer control panel, an enterprise management console, or whatever) will only serve to sadden and disgust those of us who know how much more webOS should have been.

--John
    I don't think it's nearly that bleak for webOS. Despite the low regard many of the webOS faithful seem to have HP, even HP must recognize the potential that they have created as a result of their failure on the hardware side of things. There is tremendous buzz around webOS now and tremendous opportunity. Thinking they could slingshot the Touchpad to second in the market in a short amount of time was pure farce, but in abandoning that market they have created a new one. I know a lot of people are upset with HP for abandoning webOS hardware seemingly so quickly, but from a business strategy standpoint, it could end up being a brilliant move. A year from now people might be praising it as the business strategy that slingshotted webOS into becoming a major player in the mobile market.

Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast