Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    There is tremendous buzz around webOS now and tremendous opportunity.
    Truth hurts, but... no there isn't.

webOS is now little more than the **** of tech jokes. A month from now (iphone 4s on shelves, ios5 on ipads and ICS on Android with the next Nexus in stores) it won't even be that.

I'm not saying their can't be something made of it still, but that isn't going to just fall into HPs lap. They would need to really work to bring it back. If you don't see Meg officially stating that they will work (hard) towards that goal within the next couple of weeks, show's over.

-Suntan
    Last edited by Suntan; 10/06/2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

webOS is now little more than the **** of tech jokes. A month from now (iphone 4s on shelves, ios5 on ipads and ICS on Android with the next Nexus in stores) it won't even be that.

I'm not saying there can't be something made of it still, but that isn't going to just fall into HPs lap. They would need to really work to bring it back. If you don't see Meg officially stating that they will work (hard) towards that goal within the next couple of weeks, show's over.

-Suntan
    She was stated in the press as saying that a decision on the pc unit will be made by end of October. If we don't hear anything on webOS by then and HP continues to keep webOS staff on board, it may be a positive sign that HP is in negotiations with other partners, these take time.
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    So they went back to the good old windows ecosystem! HP what was the point of buying WebOS?
    palm patents.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    palm patents.
    Part of me actually thinks that HP believed they had something novel back then. More than just a patent grab (HP already has a fair stack of patents to throw at anyone themselves.)

I think they really thought they could make a line of commercial handhelds (not intended for consumers) with specific markets targeted (medical, IT, manufacturing, etc.) and use webos as the backbone to run these gadgets.

I wouldn't be surprised if HP decided to drop the webos initiative after they went out to a number of their important commercial customers to get their feedback and received something along the lines of, “Hmmm… that looks nice, but what could you offer us that runs on iOS or Android.”

-Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

We shall see. I don't think it's quite as gloomy as many think it is. I think some people are just plain mad at HP and want to **** on any chance of good news they might have.

I've a feeling I'll be visiting this thread in a year or so to post my "I told you so".
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    We shall see. I don't think it's quite as gloomy as many think it is. I think some people are just plain mad at HP and want to **** on any chance of good news they might have.

I've a feeling I'll be visiting this thread in a year or so to post my "I told you so".
    That would really be something amazing, like winning the lottery.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12