Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
  1. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    What's really funny is now you are comparing the Playbook to an entry level consumption only device, which is probably where RIM should of started from the beginning.
    I think RIM has been very confused with regard to its target audience. This has been the case with their phones and, now, also with the Playbook. With the phones they lucked out, and ended up having their corporate-targeted phones appeal to general consumers as well (without actually having to do anything to make this so). The problem was that their lineup became stagnant, while others advanced (iPhone, Android devices) and RIM lost the consumer market share.

With the Playbook they decided to stick with targeting the enterprise user who, presumably, already has a Blackberry phone for email, contacts, calendar, etc. Then they wondered why the Playbook wasn't selling in greater numbers than it was. By excluding apps for those functions and expecting people to link blackberry phones to the Playbook to enable those functions they really put the playbook in a position with very limited appeal to non-blackberry owners, and very limited room for growth (since it only appealed to current blackberry owners). That's where the mistake was made. They hoped that the enterprise user would buy it to go along with his/her blackberry phone, and that the general consumer would buy it in addition to coming back to blackberry for phones. They hoped that they could still charge the blackberry premium as well. They overestimated the appeal of their present phone lineup. Regular consumers aren't as drawn to blackberry phones, anymore (iPhones and Android phones are the new sexy), and they definitely weren't drawn to a tablet that would 'force' them to buy a phone that they didn't want.

The 2.0 update to be released for the Playbook this month (some say in two weeks) is aimed at removing its current limitations; the price drop is aimed at generating buzz and getting more units in consumers' hands just before the update, IMO.

If you try the Playbook out (and not just a several minute test at the local best buy) then you'll probably be surprised at how good it actually is. I saw and read reviews and wondered how they could possibly think it a better tablet than the TouchPad. I was certain that CNET, for example, was just being ridiculous. I ended up buying one because of the price reduction and in anticipation of the upcoming update. After one day of use, I'm convinced that it's a better tablet for my needs than is my TouchPad or Transformer, my wife's iPad or my previous iPad2.

As for porting WebOS to the PlayBook, there would really be no point other than to get access to some App Catalog apps. QNX is *very* similar to WebOS in how it works, but is faster and more polished. The only thing that would be nice to have from WebOS is the notification system and drop-down wifi/bluetooth/brightness adjustment panel; who knows if something similar is in store with the 2.0 update? We'll just have to wait and see.

For now, though, I'm enjoying having choices, and my current choice is the Playbook, warts and all. QNX + web browser-based calendar and mail access (Google) is still better for what I do than the TouchPad has been, but everybody's requirements are different.

I'm just saying be objective and open-minded. I was, and was pleasantly surprised, hence my post about my experience with the device thus far. I see it only getting better post-update.
    Last edited by zc1; 10/01/2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    I thought the fire can run any app that is in the amazon marketplace?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    The Kindle Fire doesn't have cameras, so a bunch of apps won't work. It doesn't require a Google Gmail account. Amazon doesn't even acknowledge that it is based on Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    I think RIM has been very confused with regard to its target audience. This has been the case with their phones and, now, also with the Playbook. With the phones they lucked out, and ended up having their corporate-targeted phones appeal to general consumers as well (without actually having to do anything to make this so). The problem was that their lineup became stagnant, while others advanced (iPhone, Android devices) and RIM lost the consumer market share.

With the Playbook they decided to stick with targeting the enterprise user who, presumably, already has a Blackberry phone for email, contacts, calendar, etc. Then they wondered why it wasn't selling in greater numbers than it was. By excluding apps for those functions they really positioned the playbook in a position with very limited room for growth. Blackberry phone users are limited in number to begin with, now, and I don't see it as a fast-growing (if growing at all) segment. That's where the mistake was made. They hoped that the enterprise user would buy it to go along with his/her blackberry phone, and that the general consumer would buy it in addition to coming back to blackberry for phones. They overestimated the appeal of their present phone lineup. Regular consumers aren't as drawn to blackberry phones, anymore (iPhones and Android phones are the new sexy), and they definitely weren't drawn to a tablet that would 'force' them to buy a phone that they didn't want.

The 2.0 update to be released for the Playbook this month (some say in two weeks) is aimed at removing its current limitations; the price drop is aimed at generating buzz and getting more units in consumers' hands just before the update, IMO.

If you try the Playbook out (and not just a several minute test at the local best buy) then you'll probably be surprised at how good it actually is. I saw and read reviews and wondered how they could possibly think it a better tablet than the TouchPad. I was certain that CNET, for example, was just being ridiculous. I ended up buying one because of the price reduction and in anticipation of the upcoming update. After one day of use, I'm convinced that it's a better tablet for my needs than is my TouchPad or Transformer, my wife's iPad or my previous iPad2.

As for porting WebOS to the PlayBook, there would really be no point other than to get access to some App Catalog apps. QNX is *very* similar to WebOS in how it works, but is faster and more polished. The only thing that would be nice to have from WebOS is the notification system and drop-down wifi/bluetooth/brightness adjustment panel; who knows if something similar is in store with the 2.0 update? We'll just have to wait and see.

For now, though, I'm enjoying having choices, and my current choice is the Playbook, warts and all. QNX + web browser-based calendar and mail access (Google) is still better for what I do than the TouchPad has been, but everybody's requirements are different.

I'm just saying be objective and open-minded. I was, and was pleasantly surprised, hence my post about my experience with the device thus far. I see it only getting better post-update.
    Two things. The reference to port webos was joke (in relation to the threads about porting android to the touchpad), not meant to be taken seriously, thus the smiley.

Secondly, the item you quoted from me was in reference to the initial starting price of not fully functional "supposedly" enterprise tablet. The price it came is as was tool high for what it did, and it's size. If you didn't have a BB you SOL with PIM. This has nothing to do with being open minded or not, the Playbook is what it is right now, an unfinished product.

This is a key point from your post: I ended up buying one because of the price reduction
    What stopped you from buying one before the price reduction.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/01/2011 at 06:53 PM.
  4. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Two things. The reference to port webos was joke (in relation to the threads about porting android to the touchpad), not meant to be taken seriously, thus the smiley.

Secondly, the item you quoted from me was in reference to the initial starting price of not fully functional "supposedly" enterprise tablet. The price it came is as was tool high for what it did, and it's size. If you didn't have a BB you SOL with PIM. This has nothing to do with being open minded or not, the Playbook is what it is right now, an unfinished product.
    Fair enough. I agree that, as it stands, it's unfinished. It was silly of RIM to expect it to appeal to anyone who didn't already have a blackberry phone. The price was completely unreasonable, but I think the new price, once the update comes, will be in the right range.

If this update disappoints or RIM goes back to the old price, then we can bid farewell to the Playbook.
  5. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Of the 5 Best-Buys in my city: 4/5 are sold out of 16 GB and 32 GB Playbooks ($300 and $400, respectively). Only 1/5 is sold out of 64 GB playbooks ($500). The 16 GB are also sold out on Best Buy online (Canada). 3 of the 6 Future Shops in my city are also sold out of the 16 GB. All of this is assuming that the website is actually up-to-date.

RIM is definitely generating buzz with its lowered prices. Now they just need to deliver with OS 2.0...
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Of the 5 Best-Buys in my city: 4/5 are sold out of 16 GB and 32 GB Playbooks ($300 and $400, respectively). Only 1/5 is sold out of 64 GB playbooks ($500). The 16 GB are also sold out on Best Buy online (Canada). 3 of the 6 Future Shops in my city are also sold out of the 16 GB. All of this is assuming that the website is actually up-to-date.

RIM is definitely generating buzz with its lowered prices. Now they just need to deliver with OS 2.0...
    Thanks for the info and your review of your findings after purchasing one. I'm sure in the coming weeks I will be setting up more at work with the price change.
  7. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    No worries. I was pretty surprised at how much I actually enjoyed using it, so just figured I would write something about it. I think WebOS fans would really feel 'right at home' with the Playbook (aside from the smaller size).
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Same boat here, Playbook is my everyday device. Have had both Touchpad and Ipad 2, Playbook stands out with the Hardware #1, Screen #2 and browser #3. To say it's unfinished is subjective, I can do everything I need with the browser as well as I can on my Imac. Bridge is fast and stable now and I tether for free anywhere I go. 299 is a more realistic price range, but in no way am I sorry for being a release day buyer. Took the Touchpad back, didn't compair to the QNX or anywhere close to hardware quality. Those that bash it need to use it everyday, thats where it shines.
    zc1 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12