Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....See link.

Perhaps this may force HTC's hand to buy or license webOS!

take care,

Jay

Is Samsung preparing to drop Android?
    By Sebastian Anthony on September 28, 2011 at 11:04 am12 Comments

Is Samsung preparing to drop Android? | ExtremeTech

The royalty that Samsung is paying Microsoft per Android device is unknown, but earlier this year Microsoft secured a similar deal with HTC where it gets $5 per Android device sold. With Samsung and HTC under its sway, Microsoft now receives royalties for over 50% of Android sales in the US; only the soon-to-be-owned-by-Google Motorola Mobility remains.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Nah. They won't drop Android. They are making boatloads of money on Android. They are signing the deal to get on a firm patent footing. That way they avoid the eventual lawsuit re: Android.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Not to mention it's been proven that there really isn't any room for another smartphone OS. iOS and Android get the bulk, and Windows Phone gets the crumbs. RIM gets their legacy users, but they will eventually switch. That leaves nothing for any other competitor.
    No.
    Not gonna happen, they would lose a ton of customers. As far as HTC, I doubt it. They make a ton of money off of Android devices as well.
    It doesn't look like Samsung is going to drop android any time soon. BTW, my next phone is definately Nexus Prime.

Google Nexus Prime, Ice Cream Sandwich likely stars of Samsung's October 11th press event
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Amazon killed any chance that WebOS was coming back - it's going to be very hard for android tablet makers to compete - trying to relaunch WebOS? it would be a bottomless pit. We'll talk endlessly here about what could have been but it's time (as a commercial OS) is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    It doesn't look like Samsung is going to drop android any time soon. BTW, my next phone is definately Nexus Prime.

Google Nexus Prime, Ice Cream Sandwich likely stars of Samsung's October 11th press event
    I was just going to say that I bet their Sept 11th event would be to announce the halt of android development.

-Suntan
    No. No all CEOs and BOD have the same "intelligence" as HP or Nokia...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    ilovedessert likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    No. No all CEOs and BOD have the same "intelligence" as HP or Nokia...

Best Regards...
    Hi sadly your right, LOL...

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The licensing deal extends to Android 1.x and 2.x devices that infringe upon Microsoft's Linux patents they've been purchasing. The reason why Honeycomb wasn't released to the masses was so that Microsoft couldn't see what's been changed in the code. ICS circumvents those patents which is why Google will release the source code for it.
    I bet MS gave Samsung a lot of money off on windows license for phones, PC's and tablets. It was move so when a lot of companies are doing that they can ask more companies for more money. and if they ever bring a lawsuit against Google they have more power behind them
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Hi all,

We would all love it if they decided to build webOS hardware...

Take care,

ajy
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    The licensing deal extends to Android 1.x and 2.x devices that infringe upon Microsoft's Linux patents they've been purchasing. The reason why Honeycomb wasn't released to the masses was so that Microsoft couldn't see what's been changed in the code. ICS circumvents those patents which is why Google will release the source code for it.
    It has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Google is not releasing ICS because RIM, Amazon (and possibly Facebook) are making genuine forks that will cut off every single revenue stream. Amazon Fire is cutting Google off completely. No Google search, no Google maps, no GMail, no Android market... Amazon is going to destroy the entire Android tablet ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    It has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Google is not releasing ICS because RIM, Amazon (and possibly Facebook) are making genuine forks that will cut off every single revenue stream. Amazon Fire is cutting Google off completely. No Google search, no Google maps, no GMail, no Android market... Amazon is going to destroy the entire Android tablet ecosystem.
    To be far the Android table ecosystem isn't large anyway.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    RIM is making an android fork? ??????
    I don't think so. I assume he's talking about the playbooks ability to run Android apps. Presumably Google gets no cut of the profit for those sales.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    I don't think so. I assume he's talking about the playbooks ability to run Android apps. Presumably Google gets no cut of the profit for those sales.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    Google gets no cuts anyway other than the percentage of sales from the Google market. Google doesn't license Android. They give it away for free.

Additionally, there are other companies that base their OS off of Android's source code. They don't have to give Google anything because Google wants Android to be open.
    If Samsung were to drop Android it would likely be in favor of WP7 and Windows 8 down the road. Likely the deciding factor if they were to drop Android would be just how much they want to fight with Apple and how their litigation looks down the road.
    If they don't change the physical design on their phones, it won't matter what they put on it, Apple is going to sue.