Hi all,

FYI.....see link.

Take care,

Jay

September 29, 2011
    Kindle Fire May Force Android Tablet Makers to Cut Prices
    By REUTERS

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

SEOUL (Reuters) - Asian technology companies came under pressure on Thursday to slash prices of their tablet computers after Amazon.com launched its Kindle Fire at a mass market-friendly $199.

From Samsung Electronics to Sony Corp, major Asian tablet makers have ambitious plans to take on Apple, whose iPad is the gold standard in the booming market.

With their me-too type of products priced almost at the same level as the iPad's starting price of $499, none of them have however been able to gain any significant market share from Apple.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's possible, but I wouldn't expect it to be a drastic cut. There is a market for cheap netbooks, and also a market for laptops. If anything, this gives higher visibility to non-iPad tablets, and some people may say, "I can pay an extra $150 and get a bigger screen and all these other features? Hmmm..."

Or they may not. I've given up on figuring out non-techy consumers.
    I could see that happening.
    Cheap DVD players from China completely changed the DVD scene 10 years ago. They dropped from $150 to $40. So far the super-cheap Android tablets have been mostly junk so ppl aren't flocking to them as the primary tablet but Fire may change things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Or they may not. I've given up on figuring out non-techy consumers.
    This sounds like the smartest thing yet.

Iíve decided that whatever happens, tablets as a market segment are established enough now that the next time I want to get one, there will be manufacturers in the market with ones I want to buy. So I donít care too much how each manufacturer does individually.

At first blush, the Fire looks kind of compelling as a ďsecondary tabletĒ for around the house. But honestly, Iíd just as soon wait 6 more months and put that $200 towards replacing my existing one with a Terga 3 tablet. Assuming there are apps available that todayís Tegra 2 tablets canít handle.

-Suntan
    Man, the Touchpad has proven one thing: cheap tablets SELL!!

PS: No, xing Lings are not tablets... are headaches!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)