• 1 Post By LinuxKoss
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI...See link.

Take care,

Jay

Amazon's Kindle Fire just nuked the tablet market: Winners and losers
    By Larry Dignan | September 28, 2011, 7:58am PDT

Amazon's Kindle Fire just nuked the tablet market: Winners and losers | ZDNet

Summary: Amazon just split the tablet market with Apple. The Kindle Fire is subsidized because you’ll shop more. Apple will stay high-end. Every tablet maker in the middle is screwed.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The Kindle Fire is being over-hyped, imo. From the descriptions they've given so far it sounds less capable than the Nook Color.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The Kindle Fire is being over-hyped, imo. From the descriptions they've given so far it sounds less capable than the Nook Color.

No normal person will care and the nook is available in one market so the growth is naturally capped.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    I like the Nook reading format better, personally. That being said, the Kindle Fire's specs are far beyond the current Nook Color's with the exception of the removable memory.

I'm sure a Nook Color 2 should be due soon as well though to catch up. Who knows if Barnes and Noble can afford to cut the price from $250 to $200 like Amazon though.
  5.    #5  
    Hi all,

The Kindle may be over hyped...but the Ipad isn't??????

...please Steve Jobs goes to the bathroom was the only headline missing FROM EVERY TECH SITE...over the past few years!

Amazon has a huge pipeline so it will be successful...Amazon clearly doesn't care if it loses on this as long as it can move product in it's pipeline...which in the long run will make them mega money...

Trust me Amazon looses a fortune on me with Amazon Prime just on shipping alone, (This year alone, my Prime membership was paid for within the first 3 months of my paying my annual fee....so that's 9 months of FREE shipping)....I joined Prime the minute they announced it....so the rest is gravy for me.....all of my friends who belong to Prime all joined for the shipping and we all are benefiting from the goodies that Amazon keeps adding to Prime...

Jeff set it up now that people who join for the Kindle Fire will order almost anything from Amazon b/c they will get free 2nd shipping........ most companies can't even send you a email confirmation of your order in 2 days....

Amazon may lose on shipping costs from me...but they're the 1st place I look when I need to buy something online...

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp and LinuxKoss like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I like the Nook reading format better, personally. That being said, the Kindle Fire's specs are far beyond the current Nook Color's with the exception of the removable memory.

I'm sure a Nook Color 2 should be due soon as well though to catch up. Who knows if Barnes and Noble can afford to cut the price from $250 to $200 like Amazon though.
    See that's something I'm not getting. The Fire's only superior spec is the processor and gorilla glass, everything else is the same or less.

And like you said, the Nook Color is coming due for a refresh, it is close to a year old after all.

I mean, everyone is acting like this is some new idea, to build a tablet meant to be a media portal at break-even to push your content channels. B&N's been doing it for about a year now and the Fire actually looks like a weaker version of the NC because of some of the corners they cut on it.
    This article is pretty presumptuous and, imo, wrong. The article seems to assume that people only buy android tablets because they're cheaper than the ipad and fill the same role as an eReader. Clearly an article written by an apple ****** and/or someone with no real knowledge of the tablet market.

(V) {;,,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
    See that's something I'm not getting. The Fire's only superior spec is the processor and gorilla glass, everything else is the same or less.
    It's lighter and thinner (admittedly barely), the gorilla glass screen is a big one, and the TI OMAP4 CPU is not only 200mhz faster but is a newer generation and dual-core. The CPU difference alone should give exponential differences in performance. I mean, keeping the same clock speed and single core, the Cortex-A9 which the OMAP4 is based upon is already much faster than the A8. And then adding in dual-core and the clock speed increase makes it even faster.

And then Amazon's software is based on Gingerbread, and the Nook is based on Froyo.

And the $50 difference between $199 and $249, I suspect that is much bigger in the eyes of consumers than it looks. $199 is almost an impulse.

In other words, the one big spec that there's a difference in is the CPU, and that's a drastic difference. Besides that, every spec on the Kindle Fire is equal to or has minor improvements over the Nook.

But again, let's see what BN puts out next. I'm betting Amazon kills them in volume though, so it might be a little more difficult to get it down to that $199 price as well, like I mentioned.
    It's lighter and thinner (admittedly barely), the gorilla glass screen is a big one, and the TI OMAP4 CPU is not only 200mhz faster but is a newer generation and dual-core. The CPU difference alone should give exponential differences in performance. I mean, keeping the same clock speed and single core, the Cortex-A9 which the OMAP4 is based upon is already much faster than the A8. And then adding in dual-core and the clock speed increase makes it even faster.

And then Amazon's software is based on Gingerbread, and the Nook is based on Froyo.

And the $50 difference between $199 and $249, I suspect that is much bigger in the eyes of consumers than it looks. $199 is almost an impulse.

In other words, the one big spec that there's a difference in is the CPU, and that's a drastic difference. Besides that, every spec on the Kindle Fire is equal to or has minor improvements over the Nook.

But again, let's see what BN puts out next. I'm betting Amazon kills them in volume though, so it might be a little more difficult to get it down to that $199 price as well, like I mentioned.
    Amazon's software is 2.1 based.

I agree price plays a huge role for consumers. There are currently $150 Nook Color refurbs (w/1year warranties) and there's no guaranties that B&N won't lower the Nook Color price for new purchases before the Fire actually ships in November.

The gorilla glass is a minor thing as we've seen in the real world it's more hype than anything else. The processor is significant for modders, for the normal user it won't mean anything.
    Amazon's software is 2.1 based.
    ThisIsMyNext is saying it's Gingerbread:

Amazon’s Kindle Fire UI: it’s Android, but not quite | This is my next...

Update 2: We’ve confirmed it’s Android 2.3 under the hood
    I still think the average user is going to notice the speed differences, it's drastic enough.

I'm not interested in either the Kindle Fire or a Nook Color 2 myself anyway, but I think this is going to sell many more than the Nook Color ever will.
    ThisIsMyNext is saying it's Gingerbread:

Amazon’s Kindle Fire UI: it’s Android, but not quite | This is my next...

I still think the average user is going to notice the speed differences, it's drastic enough.

I'm not interested in either the Kindle Fire or a Nook Color 2 myself anyway, but I think this is going to sell many more than the Nook Color ever will.
    K, the report I read said 2.1 but that one is older and I guess was speculating.

The only reason to really see this selling so well is because of the hype the media is going it, trying to play it as a an iPad competitor when it's really not.

I'm curious to see when and what Amazon does with their "stay tuned" about the 10" version, that I'll just call the Kindle Fire DX for now. If they want ot steal thunder from Apple I could see them waiting to be closer to the iPad refresh before dropping that bomb.
    Specs mean nothing to the consumer that the Fire is targeting. They could care even less what version of Android its running. It's all about delivering content. That is where Amazon destroys B&N and comes close to challenging ITunes. The "cloud optimized" browser is it's most compelling feature. If it offers something smoother and more integrated than the current clunky web interface, I'm going to be very interested in this device.
    LinuxKoss, cgk and slbailey1 like this.
    The title of this thread just clarified something for me.

If Amazon just "nuked" the tablet market, why would any company try to get in now?
    If you knew ahead of time what was coming out, would you try to get out like HP did?
    Jon Rubenstein, from HP, is on the Amazon board...

I know, too many conspiracy thrillers. I'll put the Dan Brown down and walk away.
    Video Promo: Amazon Kindle Fire and all the information about it on:

Kindle Fire - Full Color Kindle with 7" Multi-Touch Display, Wi-Fi

Video Promo:
    I think there is a story that is so far being under told.

There are now three ebook readers under 100 dollars. Hear me out.

Ebook readers with eink may not be all the rage in the tech world today, and for many already with tablets or other mobile devices... They couldn't care less.

But ebooks are finally hitting their stride against paper ones in the industry this year. And it will continue to grow.

Most people are not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a piece of mobile technology. And most people don't have the ability to even if they were interested in tablets. The economy is tough, and many fear a double dip recession.

There are still droves out there that do not even have a device that could read an ebook.

Low priced ebook readers are a great entry point for the technology challenged. A lot of people have a fear of computers, with the previous bad experiences. Amazon has made it so easy to operate kindles for years now.

And there are still types of people that are not into technology, or cloud services, or streaming selections of media. They might not even have broadband, since they don't care about computers in general. They don't know what a hertz cycle is, or what cores within a single processor entails, or don't even own a sd card.

It might be a gift from a grand child, or a spouse, or a friend. They might dislike the idea of not reading a physical paper book. But they can now try it, and see.

Do people who enjoy having or reading about the latest gadgets lust after another new eink kindle? Most won't be bothered, but we are a small, yet outspoken slice of the total population.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 09/29/2011 at 12:42 AM.
    slbailey1 likes this.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    And then when they do have more money or want to try a tablet, they think "that amazon kindle sure was neat, and it's pretty cheap and I already have a relationship with them and it will come set-up for me"....

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    Do people who enjoy having or reading about the latest gadgets lust after another new eink kindle? Most won't be bothered, but we are a small, yet outspoken slice of the total population.
    Right, which is why "I can't get 1tb of ripped content on this device it's a waste of time!" and "where's the SD slot?" are the wrong questions asked by the wrong people.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    There are now three ebook readers under 100 dollars.
    With advertising.

Without ads pumped to them, they cost a substantial percentage more.

I bought my wife a Nook touch a couple weeks back for her birthday. Although she uses computers just fine, show loves it for its simplicity and functionality. The fact that it brings the advantages of technology, without the hassles of technology. But she only expects it to serve as a book reader. She reads her books, then it pops up a tranquil landscape picture as a “screensaver” when she’s not using it. As odd as it may sound (what with society’s ability to tune out ads in every medium) having ads on the thing would substantially reduce the “enjoyment” of the device, imo. More so than a tablet used for websurfing and the sort.

If nothing else, I would suggest to anyone interested in an ebook reader, think long and hard about saving a couple of bucks by getting one that pumps out ads. You may find them more annoying than you initially envision.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Most people--especially those who aren't made of cash--don't give a crap about the latest in technology, only what makes life easier for them and offers the greatest value.
    Hmmm… I would say it is actually the other way around. For no other reason than the fact that young folk (college age or there-abouts) are the ones that seem to obsess about specs and usually have no money.

Whereas people later in life have “more money than time” and tend to focus more on how a thing actually fits into their life.

Personally, I’ve noticed this as I’ve aged. Back when I was younger I could tell you the specifics of what version of a mobo had and why benchmarks said that was important. Now, I look for features (features, not specs) that are important to me and not worry as much about specs (including the price spec.)

That said, older/more affluent folk still appreciate good value. They just judge it differently.

-Suntan