Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    is Amazon Kindle Fire's $199 pricing going to affect HP Touchpad real-world prices?

I already have three Touchpads.(just barely enough for everyone in my family) In the
    last couple of weeks, I have been actively seeking a 32GB Touchpad at $149 from
    reputable companies, not third-party sellers or auction sites.

After careful consideration, I have decided to stop the search and get a Kind Fire
    for $199 instead. At only $50 more, I think it's a wiser decision. Or am I wrong?
    I think its a wise decision and i think they priced it just right and will sell a zillion of them. If i didn't get my TP for $99 I'd probably buy the fire. I will never spend more than $199 on any tablet ever period. Personally i like a 7 inch more than a 10 inch.
    LinuxKoss and gabriel959 like this.
    Depends on what you want in a tablet and availability. The TouchPad offers a lot more features than the fire (a whole lot more). However, you will be hard pressed to find one at the $150 price point anymore, more like $250 from Amazon. The Kindle Fire is built for content. The TouchPad requires about $10 worth of apps to reach the Fire's content level (adding Zinio).

It is your decision and no one can really tell you what a wise decision is for you, accept maybe a spouse or close family member. Good luck!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Depends on what you want in a tablet and availability. The TouchPad offers a lot more features than the fire (a whole lot more). However, you will be hard pressed to find one at the $150 price point anymore, more like $250 from Amazon. The Kindle Fire is built for content. The TouchPad requires about $10 worth of apps to reach the Fire's content level (adding Zinio).

It is your decision and no one can really tell you what a wise decision is for you, accept maybe a spouse or close family member. Good luck!

on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC... and obviously faster than my Touchpads.
    Since you already own three Touchpads, I'd say going with the Kindle Fire is a no-brainer. You've got the benefits of an actively supported system with the Kindle and already possess all the TP benefits with your existing units.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    It shows that HP got the price wrong (or Amazon learned very quickly)
    it's going to affect the ipad more than the touchpad.

Too few touchpads around to make a difference. Plus the touchpad has much better specs than the kindle fire at the firesaled price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC... and obviously faster than my Touchpads.
    Yeah, it looked amazingly fast. I don't know though, that may have been a cached page. Especially since it was a demo and the person constantly repeats that demo over and over. . . so, it's highly likely it's a cached page, though the cached still loaded much faster than a cached page on the TP
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    it's going to affect the ipad more than the touchpad.

Too few touchpads around to make a difference. Plus the touchpad has much better specs than the kindle fire at the firesaled price.
    That's the point. The Touchpad is a great value at the firesale price. With a dead OS it's not such a great deal at the current marked-up secondary market price. I've expected that to drop as the carpetbaggers run out of patience and the small group still interested in WebOS are satisfied. But with a $199 alternative now on the market I think it will happen sooner rather than later.

As much as I love WebOS, I certainly wouldn't pay more than firesale price for a Touchpad.
    I have a 32gb TP - going in, I knew I wanted the new amazon tablet, have wanted it for months. This TP is actually the extra tablet for me. The complication re: the fire came for me when I played around with the Sammy GT then found out they are coming out with a 7.7 inch model. Then there is the Samsung Note - and for three weeks I have been tryin to decide if I should simply get the Note as my on the go tablet with 3g- that is not going to cost me anything extra, as I already pay for a data plan on my iphone.

Where the new amazon products toss another wrench in my plans is 1. In buying gift for others (the 2 tps I have coming in from HP, who knows when, or one of the Kindled) 2. Replacing my 3 month old Nook Simple Touch with the Kindle Touch, which I wanted in the first place! I have a lot of numbers to crunch - but I know I will decide on two of the above for myself. And it might be a better idea to give a gift that has more stability.

I think this pricing is going to relieve a lot of people of this TP search, which has been painful and frustrating for some, and give us a lot of great options as the tablet pricing wars heat up. As was written on ZDNet - this does not touch apple - but it does not bode well for other android tab makers - esp re: 7 inch screens.

As for purchasing the Fire - I say life is short- if you want it and can afford it - go for it. I have done far less useful things with $200.00 - and come black Friday - it won't even be THAT much!
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/28/2011 at 12:55 PM.
    I had an extra 32GB touchpad sitting on my desk (unopened), and sold it within 3 hours on Amazon ironically... for $285. If you have an extra TP laying around, I'd say it's a good idea to sell it before the going prices start to fall rapidly with the Fire's price announced.

I still do enjoy reading email on my 16GB Touchpad over my iPad, but it's only a matter of time before I probably will own an Amazon tablet. They understand customer loyalty and developing an ecosystem as well as anyone. I would say I purchase 90% of my non-grocery items from Amazon these days.

If they drop their price to $179 for Black Friday, it's going to be a HUGE seller for the holiday season for sure. You'd almost be able to get 3 Fires for the price of one iPad.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    is Amazon Kindle Fire's $199 pricing going to affect HP Touchpad real-world prices?

I already have three Touchpads.(just barely enough for everyone in my family) In the
    last couple of weeks, I have been actively seeking a 32GB Touchpad at $149 from
    reputable companies, not third-party sellers or auction sites.

After careful consideration, I have decided to stop the search and get a Kind Fire
    for $199 instead. At only $50 more, I think it's a wiser decision. Or am I wrong?
    Hardware wise, the Kindle Fire only has 8GB of storage and no SD/microSD slot, so
    to me it sounds less attractive than the Nook color, and still less attractive than
    the Touchpad, the only thing in the Kindle Fire's favor is a faster CPU than the Nook.

I have the old Kindle 3G and I just never use it, I hope this new unit is better.
    @OP
    The fire only has 512mb of ram and is built on android 2.1, which will be locked down tight, no access to google market, only amazon app store. IMO, I'd keep looking for a TP or even break down and get one for $200 off craigslist. Would you rather pay $200 for $300 hardware device or pay $200 for $150 worth of hardware. If still too hard to decide, wait for the Nook Color 2, which will most likely have a better offering than the Fire, but I'm not sure if it will be $200.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    Can't affect a device that's no longer sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Can't affect a device that's no longer sold.
    That's why he said "real world" prices; i.e. the secondary (eBay/Craigslist/Amazon) market.
    Happy168 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    Hardware wise, the Kindle Fire only has 8GB of storage and no SD/microSD slot, so
    to me it sounds less attractive than the Nook color, and still less attractive than
    the Touchpad, the only thing in the Kindle Fire's favor is a faster CPU than the Nook.

I have the old Kindle 3G and I just never use it, I hope this new unit is better.
    well, they are pretty much using the internal storage for apps and depending on th cloud which I feel is smart. I bought the 16gb TP and I really didn't see any reason to get the 32gb. Yeah I copied my photos and music over to the USB drive but I really didn't need to because most my photos are on facebook and for music I pretty much listen to radio. I still have 5 th of free space left. Depends on what you're using it for I suppose. So I think 8gb is really enough for any tablet.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I would try to find a Touchpad since Android is making progress on the Touchpad and Fire is not multitouch (only 2 fingers at a time...)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    well, they are pretty much using the internal storage for apps and depending on th cloud which I feel is smart. I bought the 16gb TP and I really didn't see any reason to get the 32gb. Yeah I copied my photos and music over to the USB drive but I really didn't need to because most my photos are on facebook and for music I pretty much listen to radio. I still have 5 th of free space left. Depends on what you're using it for I suppose. So I think 8gb is really enough for any tablet.
    Were I live, you are lucky to have internet, let alone high speed internet, there are no
    wifi hot spots, so the "cloud" is useless to me.

I filled up my 32GB touchpad the first day.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    inferior specs, smaller screen, no camera. theres a reason why/how amazon got it to that price point
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    inferior specs, smaller screen, no camera. theres a reason why/how amazon got it to that price point
    Aside from the CPU, the nook color (especially at the return price) is a better value. A fully supported CM7 build, sd card support makes it more versatile. And overclocking to 1.2, it is no slouch. The TP, even at $200-250 craigslist rip off prices is still a better deal (much better CPU and you, double ram, at least double the storage, and impending cm7/8 support...)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast