Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree25Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So, where's the productivity?
    That the beauty of it (from a marketing point of view) - unlike the half-assed attempt by HP (here's a pdf reader that doesn't actually work, here a document editor that is useless), this has absolutely no emphasis on productivity.

This is purely a consumption device. Yes you could load up quick office or similar but Amazon don't care if you do that and aren't marketing it for those purposes.

You want productivity? buy something else.
    Touchkeeper and DeadVim like this.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    So you mean to tell me that if the thing didn't have a *touchscreen* that you'd still be willing to buy it?

It's a little carousel with books on it. Books they want you to buy. An expensive library. Not for tech guys. Not for modern, cool nerds. It's like walking around with a Christmas catalog in your pocket. Out of everything I know that will surely be left to be desired, there is no camera, no mic. And that's only front page stuff.

So, where's the productivity?

Are you sure people aren't buying this out of desperation?
    I don't get this argument. People who have tablets are undoubtedly going to have a smart phone and most likely a laptop. Every thing you say it needs I already have in both my phone, Xbox 360, and laptop. Why do I need a 4th device to do all that but to for bragging rights? It's a supplemental device, like I think a tablet should be. You don't need redundancy in all your devices. It is good for tech guys because it's cheap and tech guys already have devices to do everything else.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Nobody thought about buying Kindles before. Why now?

And it's also odd that they named it the Fire. Did they expect it to be like the Fire Sale?
    What? Kindle is the hottest selling e-reader - and MANY of Kindle fans have been waiting for the Kindle Fire ever since Barnes N Noble dropped the Nook Color. There is even now a greater interest in it because of the surprising price.

From Kindle comes Fire - Makes perfectly good sense.
    I understand.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/29/2011 at 10:32 PM.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That the beauty of it (from a marketing point of view) - unlike the half-assed attempt by HP (here's a pdf reader that doesn't actually work, here a document editor that is useless), this has absolutely no emphasis on productivity.

This is purely a consumption device. Yes you could load up quick office or similar but Amazon don't care if you do that and aren't marketing it for those purposes.

You want productivity? buy something else.
    The Amazon Kindle Fire should be considered a NSFW device.
    There is almost no legit reason to use it during work hours at
    the office.

At least on the Touchpad(or iPad & Android tablet) you can claim
    to be using it to read work documents or something.

Speaking of NSFW, it's also quite possible that the Amazon Kindle Fire
    cannot be used to view NSFW pictures/videos. I seriously doubt
    Amazon will be inclined to sign a video streaming agreement with
    Vivid Entertainment
    ) So you'll probably have to watch the
    original "Ten Commandments" instead?
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I will guess TP prices won't dip below 200 on ebay for a while, demand still exceeds supply. You will have to wait for used ones that people flip for next years' latest models. Maybe even longer if somebody does a fully-functioning autoinstall Ice Cream port (complicated installs will keep away casual users who don't want a brick). For the forseeable future, you won't get a full size tab with any OS hosting an IPS screen for below $200, parts are too expensive.

The real price/performance battle will be in 7 inch land between Fire and Nook Color 2. If NC2 has a root card slot like NC1 it will be the winner overall.
    I do not know you guys but compared to my TP, I would not pay more than $75 for the Fire. It has small screen, very little memory, the cloud browser thingy which has privacy complications etc. It is not worth much.

On the otherhand TP is like a powerhouse, it does everything I want and more and when combined with my pre2 this is like amazing combination for a contractor like me.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345