Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    As a slight aside I sold my unwanted Kindle WiFi for $100 this week ... I was completely unaware of the new versions coming and the pricing has put a bit of a smile on my face.

<This post rated 8.7 on the smugometer>
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    Why are you even here?
    Do you only want cheerleading posts?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Kindle Fire is being supported and manufactured. The Touchpad was sold at a fire sale price and is not being built anymore.
    Unless you want to sit around and play with how many cards can be opened, the Touchpad has nothing to offer anymore other than a $99 price.
    sure about that? mine still works pretty pretty damn well, regardless of future support.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Kindle Fire is being supported and manufactured. The Touchpad was sold at a fire sale price and is not being built anymore.
    Unless you want to sit around and play with how many cards can be opened, the Touchpad has nothing to offer anymore other than a $99 price.
    What?
    With the release of the Kindle tablets the TP browser suddenly stopped working? EMail app won't open? Games won't start? The kindle app got removed from the TP?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $none$ $of$ $that$ $happened$.

I think the Kindles are very promising products. But they are also limited in their own way. Not by lack of support, but on purpose by the interests of Amazon.
    For Amazon these devices are for content delivery and used as shopfronts.
    Amazon can throw them out as loss leaders - because they make a lot of their money on later selling you books, movies and other products through the Kindles.

Any other functionality is just provided as a throw-in freebie by Amazon. It helps make the device more attractive to consumers and was cheap enough to provide.

Tablets are already limited compared to PCs. The Kindle is more limited than the Android it's based on.
    If the functions provided are all that you want from a tablet - cool - then it's a good device for you. And at a great price (that Amazon can only do because the Kindle doesn't have to make money by itself and by sheer volume of production).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Kindle Fire will be jailbroken in shorter time than
    what it took to put Android 2.3 on the Touchpad.
    (which is still weeks/months away)
    This is just a very big pet peeve of mine. I have been lurking on here since the firesale and was compelled to finally register just to state that there is no such thing as a jailbroken Android device. Jailbreaking is a term used for IOS products and Android devices are ROOTED. Everyone I've seen mention jailbroken on XDA forums, when referring to an Android device, was immediately and profusely flamed for even uttering a phrase used for Apple products.
    The OP asked if it would effect real world prices. I am not sure, but my guess is that the current price on eBay etc is bound to fall significantly. What I don't know if it will happen over the next few weeks or the next few months.

The firesale created a huge amount of interest and publicity. Most of the TPs I see on eBay are "new". I assume the buyers will open them and use them. So when they sell them they will be "used". Technology ages very rapidly so prices fall.

I imagine, that a little of the current interest in TP will evaporate, new tablets will be released, one of them being the Fire. Tablet prices will generally fall. The Paybook and the Zoom have already cut it's prices. So by the death of a thousand cuts, the TP price will fall.
    I was going to sell my 32GB TP to my sister once I get it from HP Home, but now I might just recommend she get the new kindle instead. I think she will get way more use since it'll be a good ereader, has superior browser and many apps! We'll see what she picks..

Hopefully I can still sell the 32 for 200+ on CL or ebay.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    sure about that? mine still works pretty pretty damn well, regardless of future support.
    So the fact that the Touchpad isn't manufactured anymore and the Kindle Fire sells brand new at less than the price some of the Touchpads out there right now, the price of the Touchpad won't be effected?
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    What?
    With the release of the Kindle tablets the TP browser suddenly stopped working? EMail app won't open? Games won't start? The kindle app got removed from the TP?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $none$ $of$ $that$ $happened$.

I think the Kindles are very promising products. But they are also limited in their own way. Not by lack of support, but on purpose by the interests of Amazon.
    For Amazon these devices are for content delivery and used as shopfronts.
    Amazon can throw them out as loss leaders - because they make a lot of their money on later selling you books, movies and other products through the Kindles.

Any other functionality is just provided as a throw-in freebie by Amazon. It helps make the device more attractive to consumers and was cheap enough to provide.

Tablets are already limited compared to PCs. The Kindle is more limited than the Android it's based on.
    If the functions provided are all that you want from a tablet - cool - then it's a good device for you. And at a great price (that Amazon can only do because the Kindle doesn't have to make money by itself and by sheer volume of production).
    So you believe the price of the Touchpad will remain higher than the Kindle Fire, even though HP sold the Touchpads for half the price of a Kindle Fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Will it keep it's value regardless of future support?
    Touchpad prices in the real world will right themselves once the Kindle Fire is released in November. TP prices are over inflated right now and that price correction will come. If you want to get $200 for a 16gb TP, better sell it now, folks.
    DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by BTJepson View Post
    Touchpad prices in the real world will right themselves once the Kindle Fire is released in November. TP prices are over inflated right now and that price correction will come. If you want to get $200 for a 16gb TP, better sell it now, folks.
    so the good news is that if I want to get a couple more 16GB Touchpads
    at prices closer to $99, I should wait until the end of November?

I bought three 16GB Touchpads from HP.com for $84 each. ($99 - $15 HP coupon code).
    My entire family loves using the three Touchpads all the times. But I think we need
    a couple more, only if they're under $150. (otherwise it makes more sense to get
    the Amazon Kindle Fire at $199)
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    It shows that HP got the price wrong (or Amazon learned very quickly)
    No, I think Amazon is selling the Fire at a small lost or at the same price that it costs to make the device. They are doing it intentionally so they can move the device to as much customers as they can and make their money through selling contents. Amazon has MANY contents to satisfy the Fire buyers where as HP do not have much contents/apps for the TouchPad. It's sad to see that the TouchPad has better hardware and a better OS but still cannot compete with the like of Fire and Android tablets even if HP decided to bring back the TouchPad and lowered the price to 250/350. HP stills behind others in the contents/apps department. If HP wants to compete, they not only need to lower to the price but ALSO increase the number of contents providers in order to make webOS a viable platform.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black TouchPad 32Gb running smooth @1.8Ghz/F15c kernel - White Veer-DigitalUnlock(ed)
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Nobody thought about buying Kindles before. Why now?

And it's also odd that they named it the Fire. Did they expect it to be like the Fire Sale?
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Nobody thought about buying Kindles before. Why now?

And it's also odd that they named it the Fire. Did they expect it to be like the Fire Sale?
    I was hoping for a cooler name like "Amazon Kindle FlameBoy" or something like that!
    Why are we talking about an electronic book?

Are people just out to arbitrarily buy random tech stuffs?

I'm looking for a T A B L E T. Not a big smartphone. (iPad & Android) Not an electronic book. (Kindles)

I don't know who started the rumor that a Kindle was supposed to be in the tablet game.

LMAO!! Sorry, it's just really funny.

We're talking about a hand held reader with a screen.

A tablet is supposed to be a mobile computer, other than a laptop. Not a phone, not a book.

I guess anything with a touchscreen is fair game. What's next? A touchscreen cash register?

This forum is pretty crazy.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/29/2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    The Fire can do anything any Android device can do, and it does it in the form factor of a tablet. Therefore ... it's a tablet.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Actually it appears to have a feature that only appears on a tablets - it seems* the public actually want to buy it.

Note: I said "seems" before people leap all over me.
    Amazon Firesale™
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    The Fire can do anything any Android device can do, and it does it in the form factor of a tablet. Therefore ... it's a tablet.
    So you mean to tell me that if the thing didn't have a *touchscreen* that you'd still be willing to buy it?

It's a little carousel with books on it. Books they want you to buy. An expensive library. Not for tech guys. Not for modern, cool nerds. It's like walking around with a Christmas catalog in your pocket. Out of everything I know that will surely be left to be desired, there is no camera, no mic. And that's only front page stuff.

So, where's the productivity?

Are you sure people aren't buying this out of desperation?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast