Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87
Like Tree25Likes
  1. CGI_Ram's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #41  
    I'm not into the 7" size. It's small, but it's hardly more portable than something larger.

    For me; The TouchPad or 10" device is ideal for tablet. The Dell Streak or Samsung Galaxy Note is what I'd choose for a smaller device (pocketable).

    7"... blah.
    grappler likes this.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC... and obviously faster than my Touchpads.
    What they are doing is pretty similar to what Opera has been doing for years and years with their Opera Mini browser. I used it on my old Treo 700p and it was able to render pages pretty quickly. It's a good concept and Amazon has the cloud processing power to pull it off.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by fraincs View Post
    I would try to find a Touchpad since Android is making progress on the Touchpad and Fire is not multitouch (only 2 fingers at a time...)
    I must be late to the party or using the wrong apps but why would one need more than two finger multitouch support? All of my pinch to zooming has been done with my index finger and my thumb. 4 player gaming maybe, but with a 7inch screen that'd be hard anyway.
    pochaco likes this.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paging Dr B View Post
    I must be late to the party or using the wrong apps but why would one need more than two finger multitouch support? All of my pinch to zooming has been done with my index finger and my thumb. 4 player gaming maybe, but with a 7inch screen that'd be hard anyway.
    I want multitouch with all 10 fingers, I want multitouch with 100 fingers. Why? You know how many different gestures are possible with the concept of multitouch?

    I want to be able to swipe something off the screen while reading something and watching something. I want to swipe things off the screen two or three at a time. I want to waft a page over.

    I want to move things up, down, sideways, frontways and any other way you can think of.

    Let us not impede ourselves with unimaginative thinking. It all makes it more easy and effortless.

    I'm so excited for the future. What were seeing right now is truly the MSDOS of tablets.
  5. #45  
    The Kindle Fire is a vending machine, plain and simple.
    No expansion, no camera, mic, BT, etc. What it really boils down to is a slightly souped-up color Kindle. They are selling at or slightly below cost because they know you are going to pay them to put stuff on it for a good while.

    For that it is a success.
    As a tablet - for me it fails. If I wanted a 7-incher, I would pony up a couple extra simoleons for a Nook Color.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    The Kindle Fire is a vending machine, plain and simple.
    No expansion, no camera, mic, BT, etc. What it really boils down to is a slightly souped-up color Kindle. They are selling at or slightly below cost because they know you are going to pay them to put stuff on it for a good while.

    For that it is a success.
    As a tablet - for me it fails. If I wanted a 7-incher, I would pony up a couple extra simoleons for a Nook Color.
    I was going to say exactly that. It IS a Kindle. People are calling it a tablet. WHY???

    It does Angry Birds...Wooooow, I already beat that game. It's nice...but it is just a Kindle not iPad fighting material.
  7. #47  
    I have a Nook Color before I got my TP. I like the smaller form factor. I would have been all over a Touchpad GO.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    The Kindle Fire is a vending machine, plain and simple.
    No expansion, no camera, mic, BT, etc. What it really boils down to is a slightly souped-up color Kindle. They are selling at or slightly below cost because they know you are going to pay them to put stuff on it for a good while.

    For that it is a success.
    As a tablet - for me it fails. If I wanted a 7-incher, I would pony up a couple extra simoleons for a Nook Color.
    You would pay MORE for a Nook color, which is much worse hardware and lacks the same features? Yea, thats a smart move.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    I was going to say exactly that. It IS a Kindle. People are calling it a tablet. WHY???

    It does Angry Birds...Wooooow, I already beat that game. It's nice...but it is just a Kindle not iPad fighting material.
    Because it is a tablet. Because it will have native Android ported to it within a week of launch. Because Amazon is giving a free app away a day and they are good ones. Because its a complete ecosystem like Apple has with music/video/books/apps.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    You would pay MORE for a Nook color, which is much worse hardware and lacks the same features? Yea, thats a smart move.
    Ummm ... "much worse?"

    Slightly weaker cpu (overclocks to 950) but has the same memory, same display quality, same on-board storage.

    NC adds expansion via SD Cards, BT, accelerometer. And already has had CM7 running for quite a while so it has the full Android Market. If you look around a bit, you will find that the NC is pretty well-respected.

    See the thing is, I don't want a 7-inch tablet in the first place and wouldn't buy ANY of them. I WILL however definitely take a close look at the Amazon Inferno (or Bonfire or Conflagration or whatever the hell they call the full-sized one coming next) when it gets here.

    And until then, my TP with WebOS and my G-tablet with Honeycomb fill the bill nicely.
    (Unless someone gets ICS up on the TP. )
  11. #51  
    One thing to keep in mind, is that IF the Kindle Fire is based on Android 2.1, its got no App2SD support, like 2.2 has, and apps are going to fill the RAM/Memory up REAL fast.

    It will be interesting to see if/when the 1st hacks/mods come out for the Fire.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Because it is a tablet. Because it will have native Android ported to it within a week of launch. Because Amazon is giving a free app away a day and they are good ones. Because its a complete ecosystem like Apple has with music/video/books/apps.
    All that, on a Kindle? I'm amazed. Wow! I know enough about tech not to buy something for a reason other than it's purpose. So I'm going to eye spy. Eye spying a new gadget is an art. You have to interrogate it. You have to feel it, you have to taste it, you have to smell it. You have to reject it. Then come back to it.

    And finally, you have to sleep on it.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    inferior specs, smaller screen, no camera. theres a reason why/how amazon got it to that price point
    Sounds like the tp except for the screen
  14. #54  
    If anything, the fire is an ipod touch killer. Aple is about to intro the new model and its going to have to be priced at less than $150 and closer to $100 to interest buyers. I can see ipad prices coming down now eith The ipad 3 16gb for $299. The fire has REALLY Killed any interest in the tp.
    Last edited by Nychotxxx; 09/28/2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  15. #55  
    So whats your point?



    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    The current Amazon Fire tablet is a stopgap tablet so they could have something to sell for the holiday seasons...

    Fire 2 or whatever it will be called will release shortly after the new year, VERY SHORTLY. It will be an original hardware design..


    The current Fire is a retooled Blackberry Playbook. Amazon sub-contracted the build out to Quanta, a major ODM, because their kindle team was busy working on the new kindle.

    You cannot compare Amazon's tablet, fairly, to the iPad or even any regular Android tablet.


    The fire is a closed wall garden, everything you access comes strait from Amazon services and cloud. Even browsing the web is through there streamed services. You don't access the web directly...that's why the browser "seems so fast". Amazon has a new service that caches the web and streams it directly to you via a private channel.

    It's basically a glorified e-reader with the ability to watch movies and play music. The End.


    Don't waste your money bro, the Amazon Playboo....er Fire isn't a smart buy.


    The Amazon tablet will look like a PlayBook -- because it basically is. - gdgt
  16. #56  
    The Kindle Fire is being supported and manufactured. The Touchpad was sold at a fire sale price and is not being built anymore.
    Unless you want to sit around and play with how many cards can be opened, the Touchpad has nothing to offer anymore other than a $99 price.
  17. #57  
    On the other hand, if I was working for a company that makes a competitor to the Kindle Fire, that's exactly the kind of rumor I would want to start. It's a good way to "Osborne" your competition: make people who want the Kindle Fire wait for the next version that's supposedly very near, thus killing the sales of the first version.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-steve View Post

    If they drop their price to $179 for Black Friday, it's going to be a HUGE seller for the holiday season for sure. You'd almost be able to get 3 Fires for the price of one iPad.
    would that be considered a Firesale?

    I love Amazon as an etailer for making purchases .... not interested in them as a "tech company"
  19. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Sounds like the tp except for the screen
    sounds like you dont know what you are talking about
  20. jedinat's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Kindle Fire is being supported and manufactured. The Touchpad was sold at a fire sale price and is not being built anymore.
    Unless you want to sit around and play with how many cards can be opened, the Touchpad has nothing to offer anymore other than a $99 price.
    Why are you even here?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions