Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    That's the point. The Touchpad is a great value at the firesale price. With a dead OS it's not such a great deal at the current marked-up secondary market price.
    but you're still missing the point that there's a lot of people out there who want the larger screen, more ram, better processor, and bigger internal storage than the small quantity of touchpads that HP actually made. There's probably less than a million of these out there compared to the overall tablet market.

There's nearly 30 million ipads out there and Kindle is estimated to sell over 15 million this year alone.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rico2001 View Post
    @OP
    The fire only has 512mb of ram and is built on android 2.1, which will be locked down tight, no access to google market, only amazon app store. IMO, I'd keep looking for a TP or even break down and get one for $200 off craigslist. Would you rather pay $200 for $300 hardware device or pay $200 for $150 worth of hardware. If still too hard to decide, wait for the Nook Color 2, which will most likely have a better offering than the Fire, but I'm not sure if it will be $200.

locked down tight? That sounds like a challenge... or not.

my Kindle 3G with Speical Offers was jailbroken
    within 5 minutes after the UPS driver left. it now
    runs a lot of the thing that Amazon doesn't want
    people to run.(head over to mobileread for that)

Kindle Fire will be jailbroken in shorter time than
    what it took to put Android 2.3 on the Touchpad.
    (which is still weeks/months away)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    Yeah, it looked amazingly fast. I don't know though, that may have been a cached page. Especially since it was a demo and the person constantly repeats that demo over and over. . . so, it's highly likely it's a cached page, though the cached still loaded much faster than a cached page on the TP
    My (imperfect?) understanding is that Amazon's cloud servers do the heavy lifting on rendering the webpage and then send the completed product to the Kindle Fire. So, even with lackluster hardware, the Fire can browse the web quickly as its not doing the real work.
    The current Amazon Fire tablet is a stopgap tablet so they could have something to sell for the holiday seasons...

Fire 2 or whatever it will be called will release shortly after the new year, VERY SHORTLY. It will be an original hardware design..

The current Fire is a retooled Blackberry Playbook. Amazon sub-contracted the build out to Quanta, a major ODM, because their kindle team was busy working on the new kindle.

You cannot compare Amazon's tablet, fairly, to the iPad or even any regular Android tablet.

The fire is a closed wall garden, everything you access comes strait from Amazon services and cloud. Even browsing the web is through there streamed services. You don't access the web directly...that's why the browser "seems so fast". Amazon has a new service that caches the web and streams it directly to you via a private channel.

It's basically a glorified e-reader with the ability to watch movies and play music. The End.

Don't waste your money bro, the Amazon Playboo....er Fire isn't a smart buy.

The Amazon tablet will look like a PlayBook -- because it basically is. - gdgt
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    The current Amazon Fire tablet is a stopgap tablet so they could have something to sell for the holiday seasons...

Fire 2 or whatever it will be called will release shortly after the new year, VERY SHORTLY. It will be an original hardware design..

The current Fire is a retooled Blackberry Playbook. Amazon sub-contracted the build out to Quanta, a major ODM, because their kindle team was busy working on the new kindle.

You cannot compare Amazon's tablet, fairly, to the iPad or even any regular Android tablet.

The fire is a closed wall garden, everything you access comes strait from Amazon services and cloud. Even browsing the web is through there streamed services. You don't access the web directly...that's why the browser "seems so fast". Amazon has a new service that caches the web and streams it directly to you via a private channel.

It's basically a glorified e-reader with the ability to watch movies and play music. The End.

Don't waste your money bro, the Amazon Playboo....er Fire isn't a smart buy.

The Amazon tablet will look like a PlayBook -- because it basically is. - gdgt
    And what's wrong with that? People are going to use tablets to browse the web, read their email, read ebooks or magazines and play the occasional game and watch video. Anything else the will do on a real PC or laptop. People don't care how or why the browser is faster, only that it IS faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC... and obviously faster than my Touchpads.
    I believe they configured it like Opera Mini. Some of the content is sent through an Amazon server, formatted for the Fire and cached, then sent to the device. It's cool, fast, but also very limiting on how the web content is displayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    And what's wrong with that? People are going to use tablets to browse the web, read their email, read ebooks or magazines and play the occasional game and watch video. Anything else the will do on a real PC or laptop. People don't care how or why the browser is faster, only that it IS faster.
    I was simply describing what the Fire is and isn't..And it's definitely not a normal android tablet which was the point I was trying to make. I did not say having a faster browser was a bad thing. Please read more carefully.

People see the Amazon Fire as a cheap Andriod tablet, but don't really know what they're getting into. I'm simply informing the people not in the know..The fire is a poorly thought out design, rushed out to capitalize on the holiday season..it's half baked...and it's not even an original design. It's sole purpose of being out is just to be out...It's not trying to be better or compete with anything..

Would you buy a $200 tablet when its successor is coming out 2-3 months later? Think about it...THINK about it
    I was simply describing what the Fire is and isn't..And it's definitely not a normal android tablet which was the point I was trying to make. I did not say having a faster browser was a bad thing. Please read more carefully.

People see the Amazon Fire as a cheap Andriod tablet, but don't really know what they're getting into. Simply informing the people not in the know..

Would you buy a $200 tablet when its successor is coming out 2-3 months later? Think about it...THINK about it
    no I wouldn't. Now that I have a touchpad I'm not in the market at all for a few years lol.
    Soul Brother likes this.
  9.    #29  
    What successor? Not a 10" Amazon Flame?
    it's speculation as to what else is coming out from Amazon. For all we know, the next kindle fire will just have a larger screen and some minor improvements and a higher price to with that larger screen.

If the Kindle Fire does what it promises as an ereader, fast web browsing, etc at much more affordable $199, then the design is great.
    Apples and oranges,if your considering a kindle this sounds great.A book reader that you can surf the web do email and listen to music play games for $200. Can't see watching much video on something smaller than a 10" tablet and a 10" tablet is a little heavy for a reader.. And the TP hardware specs are better and also has a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    it's speculation as to what else is coming out from Amazon. For all we know, the next kindle fire will just have a larger screen and some minor improvements and a higher price to with that larger screen.
    Kinda like how the iPhone 5 coming out next week is "just speculation" ?

The industry has a pretty good grasp on whats coming out next, just like the industry has known about the Kindle Fire for MONTHS.

Its not that hard to understand..Amazon Fire isn't what the first Amazon tablet was supposed to be..its just a turd they dropped to get holiday sales.

But hey go out and try it for yourself and in a few months be angry when the real amazon tablet launches..Remember when Kindle 2 came out? Then 2 months later the Kindle DX came out?
    But hey go out and try it for yourself and in a few months be angry when the real amazon tablet launches..Remember when Kindle 2 came out? Then 2 months later the Kindle DX came out?
    the kindle fire is $199. What exactly is there to be mad about if you bought one at that price? If it does what it promises today, then it's worth it. It's affordable unlike the $600 ipad.

All the early reviews so far have come out fairly positive about what the Kindle Fire does today at launch. Sourcing wild rumors via gadget blogs about some kindle fire replacement in a couple months is just that... a rumor and not fact.
    I think that we will see two new Fire's next year,a 7" with 3G and a 10". I don't think they will increase the hardware specs much or add the extra bells and whistles. These are meant to be Amazon service's consumption devices,so they'll keep the price down to lure in the customers.
    on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC... and obviously faster than my Touchpads.
    There is a reason for that.
    Amazon is using their cloud based memory storage to cache zillions of web pages, so they can deliver them faster to your Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post

If the Kindle Fire does what it promises as an ereader, fast web browsing, etc at much more affordable $199, then the design is great.
    The design IS great, and I'm sure there is a huge market for such a device. But a Touchpad has better hardware and arguably more features for cheaper (if you can still find one...)

The touchpad hardware manufacturing costs are more than the Kindle Fire sale price...
    Last edited by UCLAKoolman; 09/28/2011 at 05:25 PM.
    The lack of any expansion or bluetooth options is enough to turn me away! Sorry.
    is Amazon Kindle Fire's $199 pricing going to affect HP Touchpad real-world prices?

I already have three Touchpads.(just barely enough for everyone in my family) In the
    last couple of weeks, I have been actively seeking a 32GB Touchpad at $149 from
    reputable companies, not third-party sellers or auction sites.

After careful consideration, I have decided to stop the search and get a Kind Fire
    for $199 instead. At only $50 more, I think it's a wiser decision. Or am I wrong?
    TP is a dead product with little content and not much future support, I really don't see the point of getting it now, especially you can't get it for 99 almost anywhere anyway.

Plus, 7" is such a better size with great portability, you would like it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    TP is a dead product with little content and not much future support, I really don't see the point of getting it now, especially you can't get it for 99 almost anywhere anyway.

Plus, 7" is such a better size with great portability, you would like it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Right. The Kindle Flame has a lot of advantages over the TouchPad but the big one is you know it's going to be supported at this time next year. You know developers will be releasing apps for it at this time next year. You know Amazon will be providing content for it at this time next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Even if webos goes bye bye. Android will soon be available for the TP.So the hardware has life left in it.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast