Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Discuss the Amazon Fire announcement here - it starts live in about 9 minutes. However, Bloomberg seem to have broken the embargo and have already published an article:

Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), the world’s largest online retailer, unveiled its Kindle Fire tablet computer, taking aim at Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s bestselling iPad with a device that’s smaller and less than half the price.

The Kindle Fire will have a 7-inch display and sell for $199, compared with $499 for Apple’s cheapest iPad, Amazon executives said. The device, a souped-up version of the Kindle electronic-book reader, will run on Google Inc.’s Android software, the Seattle-based company said.
    $199 sounds like the good price, "plus" I use Amazon a lot, "minus" from what I have read no Android apps, although someone will figure a way around this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWest View Post
    $199 sounds like the good price, "plus" I use Amazon a lot, "minus" from what I have read no Android apps, although someone will figure a way around this.
    Well there will be android apps but via their android store.
    I hope they've gotten around the need for the apps to "phone home" like they sometimes do on my Transformer -- it doesn't always happen, but if I'm without wifi, and I load an app from the Amazon app store, I'll get a pop-up stating that it can't be authorized. Hasn't happened in a while though (haven't used the tablet without wifi in a while either), so maybe they've found a solution.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Also looks like we are getting a $79 kindle as well (e-reader).

Edit: Nope was $99.

Edit 2: Nope - there are THREE new e-readers, a $149 touch 3g, a $99 touch wifi and a $79 non-touch keyboard.

Now getting onto the fire:

It is a 7-inch IPS display, dual-core processor.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/28/2011 at 09:35 AM.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Whispersync will work with movies and TV - that's a really nice feature. So you start on your PC or TV and then pick up on your Amazon fire.
    If they can build this and sell at $199, there was no reason they HP couldn't build and sell the TouchPad Go for this.

Missed opportunity really all thanks to HP's short-sightedness.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If they can build this and sell at $199, there was no reason they HP couldn't build and sell the TouchPad Go for this.

HP doesn't have the back-end for that make sense. Amazon sells pretty everything you need directly - upto and including pets. This whole device is intended to make it easier to buy stuff off amazon, this model only makes sense if you are *already* an internet retailer as large as amazon. It's taken Amazon a decade to get to this size and scale - HP would have to sub the tablet for the period it would take to get to that size and that sort of revenue and profit stream.

Even if TouchPad Go is $199, it can't beat Kindle Fire. Kindle Fire got everything you need. HP doesn't have anything to offer beside it's running webOS.

Sure there is: HP is full of visionless morons.

They were not willing to take a hit on the price and were probably deluded enough to believe they could sell the TouchPad at the same pricepoint as the iPad without even half the developer or third party accessory support.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon was taking a loss on the Fire tablet but they can afford to do it because they already have a huge ecosystem in place and their other hardware and apps/ebook sales will make up the loss.
    I am, therefore I think
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon was taking a loss on the Fire tablet but they can afford to do it because they already have a huge ecosystem in place and their other hardware and apps/ebook sales will make up the loss.
    They are selling it at what is effectively cost according to the reports I'm seeing.

This also kills stone-dead any chance that WebOS will come back, if anyone was considering take a punt at licensing it before, they aren't going to now...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    slbailey1 likes this.
    IPS screen, smart move.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It's a pretty closed environment compared to generic Android devices. No Android Market access if I'm correct. Limited email/calendar etc. connectivity (no Exchange access) and no camera.

The Silk technology reminds me a bit of the old PalmOS browsers who also used "cloud" services to prepare the web pages for the Palm OS screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    It's a pretty closed environment compared to generic Android devices. No Android Market access if I'm correct. Limited email/calendar etc. connectivity (no Exchange access) and no camera.
    True, but at $199, I suppose it wojn't be a huge deal to most. They will still have access to Android apps via the Amazon marketplace (I assume ... if not, then say whaaaa?), and if they want other email or calendar clients, they can likely download one from there.

And also keep in mind it's only a matter of time before the XDA guys get their hands on it and throw out custom ROMs for it.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post

Right - which is why it's of limited interest to me - but this will be appealing to a mainstream crowd who are currently not interested in any of that and are not buying tablets.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    With insider knowledge, it's easy to see why HP dropped the TouchPad with the Kindle Fire on the horizon.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    With insider knowledge, it's easy to see why HP dropped the TouchPad with the Kindle Fire on the horizon.

and also why nobody is interested in licensing it.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Agree about the limited functionality and closed nature not bothering the target audience. But I'm not the target audience.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast