Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I would imagine that there would be a way to store some content locally for when you don't have connectivity.
    I believe the Kindle Fire only has 8GB onboard memory... of which 6GB is user accessible.
    (according to the CNET blog) Plenty for books/magazines/audiobooks, but not for
    videos/mp3s.. if you have no access to Wi-Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Apple only needs to worry if Amazon introduces the 10" version of the Kindle Fire
    in a few months. (especially if Amazon prices it at under $289, which is very likely)
    Probably still won't be a true "iPad killer" but definitely going to make a much bigger
    dent in iPad sales than any Android tablet can.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that iPad's share of the tablet market will
    drop to around 30 percent in a couple of years.
    I know everyone loves to banty about an "ipad killer" and the other famous cliché, “It’s a marathon not a sprint.” But these just lead people to think that there will be one winner and a bunch of losers at the end. It’s the wrong picture to have.

The reality is that there are X number of people looking to buy a tablet at any given time and the more credible options there are, the harder it is for every other maker to sell their products. It doesn’t matter if one or two Amazons can get their tablet as popular as an ipad or 5 or 6 ASUSs can just manage to sell a couple hundred thousand of their product a year. In the end, it really still boils down to companies selling their product according to their guidance they give to their shareholders that determines who is successful and who isn’t.

Apple has always been good at getting really good margin and large market share on their sales. It will be interesting to see what they do in the coming years in phones and tablets as the markets move more towards commodity markets.

-Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I believe the Kindle Fire only has 8GB onboard memory... of which 6GB is user accessible.
    (according to the CNET blog) Plenty for books/magazines/audiobooks, but not for
    videos/mp3s.. if you have no access to Wi-Fi.
    Yeah, it's not great if you have a large library but it's a serviceable amount for when you need to stash a few movies or TV shows to watch when you're on a flight or something.
    I also travel abrod frequently. The answer is private VPN or paid VPN. No more
    missed show because the content provide decides to block me based on my IP.
    When I'm in the UK or Germany, I have no problems watching US TV shows.
    When I'm at home in the US, I have no problems watchin BBC iPlayer shows that
    block USA IP addresses.

The Amazon Kindle Fire will probably block video streaming when I use it on overseas
    trips, so my paid VPN service with US IP address will come in handy again. (been
    using it with my Touchpads)
    Yeah, I've thought about it. But I've never hassled. It's just easier to load up a couple of micro SD cards with recorded TV shows and BR rips.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Yeah, I've thought about it. But I've never hassled. It's just easier to load up a couple of micro SD cards with recorded TV shows and BR rips.

-Suntan
    I have a couple of spare 32GB microSD cards(got them free from Verizon Wireless)

However, I have no idea how I can use them with the Touchpad...
    Yeah? But when did the ipad ever come into the discussion? You found it funny that one of the links said the ipad would be immune to the effect while the fire puts pressure on other android tablets. But the conversation was about the fire and how it would affect *another android tablet*.

Don't try to pass your lack of reading comprehension off as anything other than it is.

-Suntan
    Perhaps you should have not brought up links that specifically mention Apple if you didn't want to bring Apple into the discussion.

You say "did the nook get this", so what exactly is that supposed to mean?

My whole point was that the Kindle Fire was being over-hyped when in reality it's not any better than the Nook Color.

What was your point?
    I have a couple of spare 32GB microSD cards(got them free from Verizon Wireless)

However, I have no idea how I can use them with the Touchpad...
    Yeah. That was short sighted on HP's part, imo.

I have the Transformer with the dock. With a couple of uSD cards and a handful of SD cards (the dock has an SD reader) I can have a week's worth of shows in HD, plus I have the battery life to not only do the 6+ hour flight across the pond, but also the 3 hour layover and the 3 hour connecting flight out of Amsterdam. All without having to worry about finding an outlet to boost the battery.

Not needed for everyone, but it was a selling feature for me.

Anyway, enough OT. Obviously the Amazon Fire isn't going to be an end-all-be-all globe trotter. But I don't think it needs to be. I bet it will find a lot of happy homes sitting on the counter of the house and never making it any further than the back yard.

-Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Perhaps...
    You're right man. You win. Congrats.

-Suntan
    How is the Kindle Fire not better than the Nook Color when it has better specs, a far better screen, and hooks into every consumer facing Amazon service?
    How is the Kindle Fire not better than the Nook Color when it has better specs, a far better screen, and hooks into every consumer facing Amazon service?
    Don't worry, it's only Orion's opinion.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I read books on my Transformer all the time with its IPS screen, no issues for me -- the great IPS viewing angles make it even better. The only thing I don't particularly like is reading in the dark with it -- with my old Sony reader, I had a light built in to the case that shined on the screen. With the tablet, the screen shines in my face. I only read for maybe 30 minutes before bed, so it's not a huge eyestrain, but I could see it becoming one for longer periods. I combat it by turning the brightness down and making the text white on a black screen (I use the Nook app for all of my reading).

As for it competing with the reduced-price TouchPad, keep in mind that you can't a TP for $99 anymore, so it is now competing with the eBay or CL price of a TP (greater than $200). People wanting a tablet that has a future can plunk down $200 and get the Fire, or pay more and get one that's been discontinued.
    As a reading device e-ink beats any lcd hands down for prolonged reading. I too still use my Sony reader for reading novels and touchpad for everything else. TP is great for comics though
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Nook Color also has an IPS screen with the same resolution, how is the Fire's screen better? And you can hook into Amazon's services with any Android tablet (not sure about the video streaming, but if they've cooked up an Android app for it, it'll soon be available for everyone). Same battery life, same storage (except the Nook can accept a microSD card). I haven't studied the specs for the Fire, so maybe the processor is faster, but I'm not seeing a huge difference, much less anything truly groundbreaking to deserve the hype. Am I missing something?

Not saying the Fire isn't a great bargain, but I fail to see the hype beyond the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    As a reading device e-ink beats any lcd hands down for prolonged reading. I too still use my Sony reader for reading novels and touchpad for everything else. TP is great for comics though
    Funny you say that. I never read a comic book in my life up until I picked up the touchpad.

Since the touchpad I've burned through tons of em. It really is a perfect device for this sort of reading...

Books aren't too bad either, but I end up having to turn the brightness WAY down to enjoy them. E-ink really is better in this regard, but I can live without it for a "do all" device.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Nook Color also has an IPS screen with the same resolution, how is the Fire's screen better? And you can hook into Amazon's services with any Android tablet (not sure about the video streaming, but if they've cooked up an Android app for it, it'll soon be available for everyone). Same battery life, same storage (except the Nook can accept a microSD card). I haven't studied the specs for the Fire, so maybe the processor is faster, but I'm not seeing a huge difference, much less anything truly groundbreaking to deserve the hype. Am I missing something?

Not saying the Fire isn't a great bargain, but I fail to see the hype beyond the price.
    Whoops, that was a brain freeze. I was thinking about the PlayBook when I compared the screens.
    Yeah. That was short sighted on HP's part, imo.

I have the Transformer with the dock. With a couple of uSD cards and a handful of SD cards (the dock has an SD reader) I can have a week's worth of shows in HD, plus I have the battery life to not only do the 6+ hour flight across the pond, but also the 3 hour layover and the 3 hour connecting flight out of Amsterdam. All without having to worry about finding an outlet to boost the battery.

Not needed for everyone, but it was a selling feature for me.

Anyway, enough OT. Obviously the Amazon Fire isn't going to be an end-all-be-all globe trotter. But I don't think it needs to be. I bet it will find a lot of happy homes sitting on the counter of the house and never making it any further than the back yard.

-Suntan
    iPad and Android tablets can only read standard SDHC cards, up to 32GB,
    either internally or via a small card reader.

Toshiba Thrive(8GB for $347 last week) on the other hand, has a build in slot
    that accepts full-size SDHC and the newer full-size SDXC cards, allowing memory
    up to 64GB and more. On top of that, it has a mini-USB and full-size USB port
    to accept external hard drives. (handy for my little 500GB Seagate portable drive)

Had the Touchpad not gone on sale for $99(which I bought from HP.com for $84),
    I would have bought the the Toshiba Thrive 8GB for $347.
    Well, most of the time people here are the ones incessently saying that the specs *don't* matter. I just found it odd that they do matter all of a sudden.

As for the E ink, I was just clarifying (to others) that screen was not unique to the Kindle lineup. Everyone from B&N and Sony to no-names also use the same E ink display.

-Suntan
    Funny, I always thought it was the other guys, not the TouchPad guys who argue over specs since the TouchPad has excellent specs (1.2 GHz dual core processor, 1GHz RAM, 16-32GB storage, IPS screen). I think the only thing we may argue over is the lack of a rear camera.

I know the screen is not limited to the Kindle line-up, but everyone who buys the Kindle loves the screen. I understand why Amazon used the Kindle name for the tablet but it may confuse some Kindle owners who expect the ink screen and outrageous battery life.
    Indeed, touchpad=good hardware. WebOS absolutely hobbles the device, the hardware on it is best-in-class and yet it can't match performance .

As for the kindle though - the only spec that -really- bothers me on it is it's size. I mean, look at this pic:

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/img_4302.jp...;siu-container

It's barely bigger than a cell phone. The screen is too small to comfortably use for browsing without zooming etc (like a cell phone), and the device is too large to carry around easily. It's a squint-o-matic .

It's an annoying form factor in my opinion. I enjoy the normal touchpad/ipad size, much more comfortable for casual use. As I've said before, I wouldn't mind if it was even just a bit larger (I'd LOVE the keyboard on-screen to match the size of a normal key spread, for example - only need to make the screen a hair bigger to facilitate that and it'd make my touchscreen keypad use much more enjoyable).
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Apple only needs to worry if Amazon introduces the 10" version of the Kindle Fire
    in a few months. (especially if Amazon prices it at under $289, which is very likely)
    Probably still won't be a true "iPad killer" but definitely going to make a much bigger
    dent in iPad sales than any Android tablet can.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that iPad's share of the tablet market will
    drop to around 30 percent in a couple of years.
    As long as Apple is making obscene amounts of money, 30 percent may not matter. And yes, you are out on a limb, better have a net.

iPad and Android tablets can only read standard SDHC cards, up to 32GB,
    either internally or via a small card reader.

Toshiba Thrive(8GB for $347 last week) on the other hand, has a build in slot
    that accepts full-size SDHC and the newer full-size SDXC cards, allowing memory
    up to 64GB and more. On top of that, it has a mini-USB and full-size USB port
    to accept external hard drives. (handy for my little 500GB Seagate portable drive)

Had the Touchpad not gone on sale for $99(which I bought from HP.com for $84),
    I would have bought the the Toshiba Thrive 8GB for $347.
    Don't need connectors, I stay away from wires whenever possible, I picked up one of each (when on sale):
    Seagate Wifi Drive
    Kingston Wifi drive

If you want to make use of your existing large capacity SD cards, you can grab this:
    AirStash
  19. Cha
    Anyone see the RAM, yet? Can't find it anywhere.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's not great if you have a large library but it's a serviceable amount for when you need to stash a few movies or TV shows to watch when you're on a flight or something.
    But who here represents the sort of consumer that Amazon wants or will get? I think the last time I checked I have 16,000 music tracks on my home network (ripped in 320kps from CDs not downloads). The last figures I saw said that the average ipod user has somewhere in the region of 200-300 tracks which are a mixture of downloads and rips.

I think amazon is happy for people like us to look the other way and have limited interest in the fire.

The more I think about it, the narrative they are spinning around it is crystal clear, everyone else has tried to take on the ipad by indicating how you'll do consumer and productivity (Look at HP's confused positioning of the Touchpad) - Amazon have simply concentrated on consumption angle and that's all they are talking about.

For my mother, my sisters and other family members - this is the best option yet, they don't want to WP, they don't want to root, they simply want to listen to some music, read some books and watch some telly - and this is the best option for them - and it's sold by Amazon who they trust and like.
    sinsin07 and slbailey1 like this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast