Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    You'll probably be able to sideload apps. No market access is a non issue. Exchange access can be achieve with using Touchdown for Exchange.
    If indeed you can get that from the Amazon market or by sideloading (legally, it requires a key). And I prefer native Android exchange support than that terrible Touchdown app (based on the phone version, haven't seen the tablet version).
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    The Engadget people said the Kindle Fire's screen is FAR better than the Nook Color's screen.

IMHO, Nook Color doesn't stand a chance because there is not way for B&N to match
    Amazon's ability to deliver audio/video/book/shopping content on the Kindle Fire.

Amazon can sell the Kindle Fire for $99 and still make a profit because people will
    buy stuff from Amazon. Can't say the same about Apple iPads(or any other tablet
    out there). Once people buy iPads, they may spend a hundred bucks a year on apps
    and iTune stuff... but that's it... Apple doesn't sell TVs, car parts, pet supplies, DSLR,
    toilet tissues, laundry detergent, coffees, underwear, laser toners, watches, engine
    oils, ceiling fan, window blinds, shoes, etc.(just a brief list of stuff that I've bought
    directly and shipped from Amazon.com in the last 30 days... all of those items are
    cheaper on Amazon, compared to Costco/Walmart retail stores and all other online
    merchants)
    The Kindle Fire is $199. Now if it was $99 or even $149 then I'd certainly understand some of the corners they cut.

And as it turns out you can access Amazon video, music, and shopping from your Nook Color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The Kindle Fire is $199. Now if it was $99 or even $149 then I'd certainly understand some of the corners they cut.

And as it turns out you can access Amazon video, music, and shopping from your Nook Color.
    on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC.
    on top of that, I was speechless when I saw how fast the Kindle Fire's browser was.
    (based on the videos shown on CNET, Engadget, and other blogs) It seems even faster
    than the browser on my iPad and home PC.
    In theory, perhaps. We'll see if that translate in real world practice or if it just ends up being similar to what Opera and Skyfire already do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Just for clarity, the "ink screen" is the E Ink Pearl screen and it is available on pretty much every reader available. Not just on the Kindle.

Second, for spec lovers yes the TP has better specs (odd that people here at precentral are pushing specs now, after years of saying specs don't matter...) but the fire is still the better option for 99.99% of the people.

-Suntan
    Haven't we argued over what spec, app, and other lovers would like vs the 99.99% of other people out there all over this forum. I don't think any of us .01% can really understand what the others want. Anyway, yes the E Ink screen is the best I have seen at reading books. The folks I know who buy Kindles buy them for that screen and the battery life.

Did the Nook color get this:

Information for the World's Business Leaders - Forbes.com

CNNMoney - Business, financial and personal finance news

Business & Financial News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com

News, Travel, Weather, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, U.S. & World - USATODAY.com

Los Angeles Times - California, national and world news - latimes.com

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

etc.

etc.

That's much more important than the specs or the compatibility chart. As much as people might not want to admit it.

-Suntan
    ROFL

The irony of your post Suntan is the first head line of your first link, "What The Kindle Fire Means For Apple: Not A Whole Lot".
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Haven't we argued over what spec, app, and other lovers would like vs the 99.99% of other people out there all over this forum. I don't think any of us .01% can really understand what the others want. Anyway, yes the E Ink screen is the best I have seen at reading books. The folks I know who buy Kindles buy them for that screen and the battery life.
    Well, most of the time people here are the ones incessently saying that the specs *don't* matter. I just found it odd that they do matter all of a sudden.

As for the E ink, I was just clarifying (to others) that screen was not unique to the Kindle lineup. Everyone from B&N and Sony to no-names also use the same E ink display.

-Suntan
    ROFL

The irony of your post Suntan is the first head line of your first link, "What The Kindle Fire Means For Apple: Not A Whole Lot".
    What is up with the never ending infatuation with the danged ipad around here???

Where in my post, which was directly pertaining to how this stacks up against the *Nook Color*, did I say anything about ipad?

You're rolling on the floor, that's great. I'm shaking my head in sadness...

-Suntan
    The only downside that I can think of is that the Kindle Fire requires
    the cloud to stream audio and video. This is going to be kind of hard
    to do in cars and planes. I don't see a way to get around forki over
    the $20 or $30 to the cell carrier for hotspot teethering on my phone
    or a Mi-Fi device. I have already gotten sick and tired of paying for
    Wi-Fi fee on airplanes...

I never stream videos on my tablets(iPads and Touchpads) at home
    because that's what full-size PCs and TVs are for. With the exception
    of taking my Touchpad to the toilet, of course.
    Well, most of the time people here are the ones incessently saying that the specs *don't* matter. I just found it odd that they do matter all of a sudden.

-Suntan
    It's really funny, right? I remember when we found out there's no back camera in the back of TP, and everyone is saying, who wants to take a picture with big tablet? And when iPhone 4 comes with facetime, everyone is saying nobody wants to do the video conference thing. yet, now kindle fire doesn't have camera, people saying it's same as nook since I can't use skype. BTW, I heard the TP skype quality sucks.

For $199, I think there's tons of people who probably not going to care so much for some of the features missing.
    What is up with the never ending infatuation with the danged ipad around here???

Where in my post, which was directly pertaining to how this stacks up against the *Nook Color*, did I say anything about ipad?

-Suntan
    I don't get why some people are hooked on one device(or OS) and become a "f-a-n-b-o-y" of that particular device or OS.

In my family, there are iPod Touches, iPad 2, HP Touchpads, Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet,
    Blackberry smartphone, Android smartphone, and last, but not least, iPhone 4. We don't
    get attached to one device.

Do men stop looking and trying to hook up with other hot women after getting married?
    (obviously not... for the majority)
    sinsin07 likes this.

-Suntan
    You're the one who brought those links into the discussion...
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 09/28/2011 at 12:39 PM.
    ROFL

Apple only needs to worry if Amazon introduces the 10" version of the Kindle Fire
    in a few months. (especially if Amazon prices it at under $289, which is very likely)
    Probably still won't be a true "iPad killer" but definitely going to make a much bigger
    dent in iPad sales than any Android tablet can.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that iPad's share of the tablet market will
    drop to around 30 percent in a couple of years.
    The only downside that I can think of is that the Kindle Fire requires
    the cloud to stream audio and video. This is going to be kind of hard
    to do in cars and planes. I don't see a way to get around forki over
    the $20 or $30 to the cell carrier for hotspot teethering on my phone
    or a Mi-Fi device. I have already gotten sick and tired of paying for
    Wi-Fi fee on airplanes...

I never stream videos on my tablets(iPads and Touchpads) at home
    because that's what full-size PCs and TVs are for. With the exception
    of taking my Touchpad to the toilet, of course.
    I agree. I stream Netflix and Pandora on my tablet, but I wouldn’t rely on just streaming alone. For no other reason than I have to travel abroad sometimes and licensing deals often mean that even if I have a wifi connection, I can’t get to any of the media anyway.

Personally, this fire doesn’t look like a good option for a heavy user, but for light users it looks great. And I think Bezos understands that’s the market he’s going for.

Now I could see this as a possible second tablet in the house… …for putting it next to the can in the upstairs bathroom…

-Suntan
    You're the one who brought those links into the discussion...
    Yeah? But when did the ipad ever come into the discussion? You found it funny that one of the links said the ipad would be immune to the effect while the fire puts pressure on other android tablets. But the conversation was about the fire and how it would affect *another android tablet*.

Don't try to pass your lack of reading comprehension off as anything other than it is.

-Suntan
    I don't get why some people are hooked on one device(or OS) and become a "f-a-n-b-o-y" of that particular device or OS.
    That's bad enough. But then you have this situation where a guy is so possessed with a device that he brings it into conversations where it wasn't even being discussed in the first place. Defending it against things that nobody has even claimed.

-Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I agree. I stream Netflix and Pandora on my tablet, but I wouldn’t rely on just streaming alone. For no other reason than I have to travel abroad sometimes and licensing deals often mean that even if I have a wifi connection, I can’t get to any of the media anyway.

Personally, this fire doesn’t look like a good option for a heavy user, but for light users it looks great. And I think Bezos understands that’s the market he’s going for.

Now I could see this as a possible second tablet in the house… …for putting it next to the can in the upstairs bathroom…

-Suntan
    I also travel abrod frequently. The answer is private VPN or paid VPN. No more
    missed show because the content provide decides to block me based on my IP.
    When I'm in the UK or Germany, I have no problems watching US TV shows.
    When I'm at home in the US, I have no problems watchin BBC iPlayer shows that
    block USA IP addresses.

The Amazon Kindle Fire will probably block video streaming when I use it on overseas
    trips, so my paid VPN service with US IP address will come in handy again. (been
    using it with my Touchpads)
    I would imagine that there would be a way to store some content locally for when you don't have connectivity.
    That's bad enough. But then you have this situation where a guy is so possessed with a device that he brings it into conversations where it wasn't even being discussed in the first place. Defending it against things that nobody has even claimed.

-Suntan
    You mean like this?

I don't know how you guys feel about Touchpads, iPads, and Kind Fire tablets....
    but I know none of them can compete with my turbocharged Saab hatchback
    because its onboard ECU has faster processing speed than all the tablets.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast