Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    and also why nobody is interested in licensing it.
    Yeah. Does matter how much we praise about the UI, "True-Multitasking" or Synergy. When it comes down to what it matters the most is the price and ecosystem. How cheap is it? And what I can do with it? How easy for me to get the ebook or music or movie or tv show. Nothing else matter.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Yeah. Does matter how much we praise about the UI, "True-Multitasking" or Synergy. When it comes down to what it matters the most is the price and ecosystem. How cheap is it? And what I can do with it? How easy for me to get the ebook or music or movie or tv show. Nothing else matter.

Right - I would think that the boys at RIM are also pulling on their brown trousers about now, this is a serious problem for them.

This is seriously simple for Amazon to sell to the average consumer who already has a relationship with them - "We are amazon, you trust us, we sell you music, movies, books and other content - this devices accesses all of that".

The other thing about this that people will love - any content you download, you can always download again - so storage is effectively unlimited (plus if you want to upload your own music, you can pay for more).

This is for the consumer who doesn't want choice, they don't want to root or flash, they just want to consume and buy with one-touch.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/28/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Right - I would think that the boys at RIM are also pulling on their brown trousers about now, this is a serious problem for them.
    I think so. I think Amazon Kindle Fire finally put a dagger on RIM PlayBook's heart. And I believe we may see some price drop of TP in after market? Maybe around $150 for TP?
    Look's like I will pass on the Kindle Fire and pick up the Kindle Touch 3g. I need more than 8 hours continuious ebook battery life. On the weekends 8 hours is the minimum time I spend reading in one sitting. I read(or re-read) at least 5 books each weekend.

My next tablet may be the Galaxy Tab 7.7 when it comes to Verizon with ICS installed running on their 4g network. This will be replacing my Galaxy Tab 7.0, which I love.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I think webos is best designed to be a smartphone OS, where i find (with a physical keyboard) just type is insanely useful.

The fire's going to be a huge seller. The market wants a streamlined multimedia tablet relatively cheap, and with amazon's insanely large catalog of virtually every medium, they can offer that better than anyone.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Look's like I will pass on the Kindle Fire and pick up the Kindle Touch 3g. I need more than 8 hours continuious ebook battery life. On the weekends 8 hours is the minimum time I spend reading in one sitting. I read(or re-read) at least 5 books each weekend.
    If you're doing that much reading, I wouldn't go with an lcd screen anyway. Kindle's the best for this IMO.
    I wonder if this might provide some price relief for ebay touchpad pricing.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    I wonder if this might provide some price relief for ebay touchpad pricing.
    I would think that the bottom will start to drop out about now - a lot of people want a cheap (but decent) tablet not a WebOS tablet, so this has got to cut into the demand.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    HP's already out of the tablet market, this impacts Apple just as much as RIM and the other android tablets. $199 for quality hardware that provides easy access to e-books, movies and music could provide serious competition to the ipad.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    I think the Kindle Fire is a great idea from Amazon with a good competitive price. However, I don't see this as being competition for a reduced price TouchPad. The Kindle Fire is a very limited tablet. It is essentially a multimedia portal for Amazon's products. It doesn't have a camera or microphone so using it to make voice/video calls is out. The Amazon App Store has a limited selection of apps. I've been using the Amazon App Store off and on for a 6 months now. I haven't looked at it in a couple of months but it was not as compelling as the Android Market. I will be eager to see if they get some good 3D games, some productivity apps, and multimedia outside of Amazon Prime. I think this will be a good upgrade for the people that actually buy Kindles. For the rest of us it seems very limiting. Amazon is smart to offer their services to other devices. If they would just add the MP3 store and cloud player for the TouchPad and improve their Kindle app to add magazine content, we will pretty much have what the Kindle Fire is offering already (minus the Android Apps). It's still too early and I would like to see the device in person. Road trip to Best Buy!

I just thought of something: If it has an IPS screen will books still look as good on it as they do on a regular Kindle?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    IPS screen, smart move.
    I saw the Samsung Galaxy 7.7" tablet in person... the AMOLED
    made me wanna cry. It was absolutely stunning. Unfortunately,
    it's not sold in the US. (not yet, and probably never)

Of course, if Amazon used a 7" AMOLED screen, they probably
    need to sell Kindle Fire at $400 or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I just thought of something: If it has an IPS screen will books still look as good on it as they do on a regular Kindle?
    I read books on my Transformer all the time with its IPS screen, no issues for me -- the great IPS viewing angles make it even better. The only thing I don't particularly like is reading in the dark with it -- with my old Sony reader, I had a light built in to the case that shined on the screen. With the tablet, the screen shines in my face. I only read for maybe 30 minutes before bed, so it's not a huge eyestrain, but I could see it becoming one for longer periods. I combat it by turning the brightness down and making the text white on a black screen (I use the Nook app for all of my reading).

As for it competing with the reduced-price TouchPad, keep in mind that you can't a TP for $99 anymore, so it is now competing with the eBay or CL price of a TP (greater than $200). People wanting a tablet that has a future can plunk down $200 and get the Fire, or pay more and get one that's been discontinued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I saw the Samsung Galaxy 7.7" tablet in person... the AMOLED
    made me wanna cry. It was absolutely stunning. Unfortunately,
    it's not sold in the US. (not yet, and probably never)

Of course, if Amazon used a 7" AMOLED screen, they probably
    need to sell Kindle Fire at $400 or more.
    Oh yeah, definitely would prefer AMOLED. My coworker brought in his new Sprint Samsung Galaxy Epic Touch 4G Superfriends Awesome Yankee Bluejeans (or whatever the extended name is), and the screen made me want to throw my Evo out the window. Some say it's over-saturated, but I don't care. But IPS beats the pants out of the LCD tech some smaller tablets use (see the Dell Streak ... good lord, tilt that one slightly and all hell breaks loose on that screen).
    I'm a little disappointed. No camera(s) or mic for using with some of the apps (it sounded like it could use installable apps anyways), no physical volume rocker, and only 8GB onboard and it looks like with no microSD slot for extra storage when away from WiFi for extended periods.

Nook Color seems a little better still, imo.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 09/28/2011 at 11:39 AM.

As for it competing with the reduced-price TouchPad, keep in mind that you can't a TP for $99 anymore, so it is now competing with the eBay or CL price of a TP (greater than $200). People wanting a tablet that has a future can plunk down $200 and get the Fire, or pay more and get one that's been discontinued.
    Yeah, that's why I predicted aftermarket TP price will go down soon. I wouldn't even want to buy TP at $150 at this point.

But I am waiting to see how RIM is going to play with this. I think i will pick up RIM Playbook at $150, but I wouldn't pay more than that.
    Just read the specs. Wow only 8GB of storage! I have 12GB of good music alone (another 2GB of junk) that I like to have with me all the time. The cloud player is good, but you need a good internet connection for it. Also, only 8 hours of time on the battery for such a small device? The content is compelling and they will probably sell a lot of them based on just that but you don't have much space to store anything. Wonder if they will allow UPnP support?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I'm a little disappointed. No camera(s) for using with some of the apps (it sounded like it could use installable apps anyways), no physical volume rocker, and only 8GB onboard and it looks like with no microSD slot for extra storage when away from WiFi for extended periods.

Nook Color seems a little better still, imo.
    The Engadget people said the Kindle Fire's screen is FAR better than the Nook Color's screen.

IMHO, Nook Color doesn't stand a chance because there is not way for B&N to match
    Amazon's ability to deliver audio/video/book/shopping content on the Kindle Fire.

Amazon can sell the Kindle Fire for $99 and still make a profit because people will
    buy stuff from Amazon. Can't say the same about Apple iPads(or any other tablet
    out there). Once people buy iPads, they may spend a hundred bucks a year on apps
    and iTune stuff... but that's it... Apple doesn't sell TVs, car parts, pet supplies, DSLR,
    toilet tissues, laundry detergent, coffees, underwear, laser toners, watches, engine
    oils, ceiling fan, window blinds, shoes, etc.(just a brief list of stuff that I've bought
    directly and shipped from Amazon.com in the last 30 days... all of those items are
    cheaper on Amazon, compared to Costco/Walmart retail stores and all other online
    merchants)
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    It's a pretty closed environment compared to generic Android devices. No Android Market access if I'm correct. Limited email/calendar etc. connectivity (no Exchange access) and no camera.
    You'll probably be able to sideload apps. No market access is a non issue. Exchange access can be achieve with using Touchdown for Exchange.

TouchDown™ Features

But yes, it's closed like you said. It's an Amazon tablet to make people use Amazon services.
    I read books on my Transformer all the time with its IPS screen, no issues for me -- the great IPS viewing angles make it even better. The only thing I don't particularly like is reading in the dark with it -- with my old Sony reader, I had a light built in to the case that shined on the screen. With the tablet, the screen shines in my face. I only read for maybe 30 minutes before bed, so it's not a huge eyestrain, but I could see it becoming one for longer periods. I combat it by turning the brightness down and making the text white on a black screen (I use the Nook app for all of my reading).

I read on the TouchPad, which also has an IPS screen BTW (exact same screen as the iPad/iPad2). The ink screen on the Kindle is the best screen for reading books hands down.

The 32GB TouchPad offers 4 times the storage, a camera and microphone for Skype video calling, Amazon Kindle app for books, soon to have Zinio for magazines, Amazon Prime/Crackle/HP Movie/Video Flood/Vudu for video content, and GoogleMusic/Pandora/LastFM for music along with 3 inches more screen real estate. It is selling for only $50 more on Amazon and Ebay. True it has been discontinued, but it is still supported by HP. Maybe when the new Fire 2 comes out it will be time to switch, but as long as there are still TouchPads available I think they are the better deal for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I read on the TouchPad, which also has an IPS screen BTW (exact same screen as the iPad/iPad2). The ink screen on the Kindle is the best screen for reading books hands down.

The 32GB TouchPad offers 4 times the storage, a camera and microphone for Skype video calling, Amazon Kindle app for books, soon to have Zinio for magazines, Amazon Prime/Crackle/HP Movie/Video Flood/Vudu for video content, and GoogleMusic/Pandora/LastFM for music along with 3 inches more screen real estate. It is selling for only $50 more on Amazon and Ebay. True it has been discontinued, but it is still supported by HP. Maybe when the new Fire 2 comes out it will be time to switch, but as long as there are still TouchPads available I think they are the better deal for now.
    Just for clarity, the "ink screen" is the E Ink Pearl screen and it is available on pretty much every reader available. Not just on the Kindle.

Second, for spec lovers yes the TP has better specs (odd that people here at precentral are pushing specs now, after years of saying specs don't matter...) but the fire is still the better option for 99.99% of the people.

-Suntan
    sinsin07 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast