• 1 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

Amazon's Kindle Fire could be death blow to RIM's PlayBook

By Larry Dignan | September 27, 2011, 2:26am PDT

Summary: Amazonís Kindle tablet reportedly resembles the PlayBook and thatís bad news for RIM.

Amazon's Kindle Fire could be death blow to RIM's PlayBook | ZDNet

What if you could have Research in Motionís PlayBook with different software and better content connections? And what if this tablet was cheaper than the PlayBook by a wide margin?

Those questions must be downright haunting to RIM executives right now.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I hadn't really thought about it and haven't had a real chance to use it. I wonder how much of a similar feel QNX has to webOS?
    Sad thing is even after all of the drama the we have endured, if HP had decided to make a strategic decision to sell the Touchpad at the same price as the Amazon product 2 months ago, this would be a totally different landscape.

Even if they had waited until the the time the firesale started and then made a policy decision to sell a a loss to get market share they would be ruling the tablet world right now (not including Apple, of course).

By the time they (HP) finally gets into gear....
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Sad thing is even after all of the drama the we have endured, if HP had decided to make a strategic decision to sell the Touchpad at the same price as the Amazon product 2 months ago, this would be a totally different landscape.

Even if they had waited until the the time the firesale started and then made a policy decision to sell a a loss to get market share they would be ruling the tablet world right now (not including Apple, of course).

By the time they (HP) finally gets into gear....
    Wasn't the Cost said to be somewhere above $315USD for the device?

Edit: I don't see where they could have a real fighting chance subsidizing that cost with their services or current apps in the ecosystem. I've had my pre+ for nearly two years, plus the touchpad, and I doubt I've even spent anywhere near 70+ dollars on apps. And I've bought quite a few, and bought any donation app to help devs and the homebrew scene.

Something like a video game console, I could spend more than I bought on apps with one or two new video games as they are released. And the lifespan of game consoles are longer than mobile devices.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 09/28/2011 at 02:16 AM.