Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Why did HP only order 800,000 Touchpads(plus the 100,000 to 200,000 yet to be made),
    if Amazon can order 8 million Amazon 7" tablets? (yes, EIGHT MILLION, in the initial
    batch)

Does Amazon know the tablet market better than the biggest PC maker, HP?

What would have happened if HP originally orderd 2 million Touchpads?
    Because Amazon has the marketing know how to push and sell anything with the already popular kindle brand. They can store and sell them easily until brick and mortar retailers like Target ask to get in on their game.( Edit - or honestly go it alone without problems)
    Plus they already have their own strong digital streaming and media delivery system built up over the years. From ebooks, to music, to movies, and andriod apps.

Hp had their top spot in computer hardware distribution, worldwide.
    But Amazon is at the top when it comes to online sales, marketing and a storefront. And store interface, search, suggestions, putting items on sale using strategy. Again all online, everything online.

People also forget how well the kindles with eink have done despite Apple releasing their ipads. All while other devices have low sales numbers.

Amazon cares more about selling media content then hardware. They already sell books, movies, music crossplatform. The hardware devices is a means to an end. At least in my opinion.

If hp had that many touchpads onhand, they would have lost even more money selling them all below cost in the firesale. Remember the ex-ceo and the board members he got in with him want an enterprise software future. Transition into it just as IBM did before them. Although so far more painfully than Big Blue.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 09/27/2011 at 02:39 AM.
    ilovedessert and sinsin07 like this.
    Why did HP only order 800,000 Touchpads(plus the 100,000 to 200,000 yet to be made),
    if Amazon can order 8 million Amazon 7" tablets? (yes, EIGHT MILLION, in the initial
    batch)

3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    batch)

Remember back in the day, Sony who were well known for electronics got out their range of ereaders well before Amazon (who were know for being an internet retailer). Amazon outselling and out-manoeuvring Sony when it comes to ereaders - what are the chances of that?

There are a lot of unknowns about Amazon's tablet but do they know the tablet market better than HP? I wouldn't bet against it.

Bear in mind what being the largest PC maker actually means - it means you can push out lots of grey boxes at high volume for low margins in a field where there is virtually no innovation and no significant R&D costs. That does not translate to having any expertise in the tablet market (as we have already seen).

The fire-sale would have happened sooner as sales channels became choked with unsold touchpads.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Remember back in the day, Sony who were well known for electronics got out their range of ereaders well before Amazon (who were know for being an internet retailer). Amazon outselling and out-manoeuvring Sony when it comes to ereaders - what are the chances of that?

There are a lot of unknowns about Amazon's tablet but do they know the tablet market better than HP? I wouldn't bet against it.

Bear in mind what being the largest PC maker actually means - it means you can push out lots of grey boxes at high volume for low margins in a field where there is virtually no innovation and no significant R&D costs. That does not translate to having any expertise in the tablet market (as we have already seen).

The fire-sale would have happened sooner as sales channels became choked with unsold touchpads.
    I still have two Sony Readers. Great and solid hardware, but Amazon cracked the digital media distribution nut. Making it so simple non-computer users could even use it.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    I still have two Sony Readers. Great and solid hardware, but Amazon cracked the digital media distribution nut. Making it so simple non-computer users could even use it.
    I had a PRS-600 but when it came time to swop, I switched to a Kindle for that very reason. I'm guessing they are hoping the same is true again.
  6.    #6  
    I had a PRS-600 but when it came time to swop, I switched to a Kindle for that very reason. I'm guessing they are hoping the same is true again.
    So true, and same here.
    Amazon is selling a 7" Android device into a Market that doesn't buy 7" tablets. Only difference between this 7" tablet and the other 7" tablets is that this one is said to be pathetic in the spec dept in order to keep costs down.

We'll see if it sells, but it appears from what I have read this is really nthing more than an ereader+, not a real tablet. And def not comparable to the iPad.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Amazon is selling a 7" Android device into a Market that doesn't buy 7" tablets. Only difference between this 7" tablet and the other 7" tablets is that this one is said to be pathetic in the spec dept in order to keep costs down.

We'll see if it sells, but it appears from what I have read this is really nthing more than an ereader+, not a real tablet. And def not comparable to the iPad.

I doubt it's intended to be comparable to the iPAD, rather it's meant to be something relatively cheap for people who shop a lot at Amazon and want something that does a bit of browsing and the like - it will be sold as Kindle model rather than a tablet I'd think. I read that a year's worth of amazon prime will also be chucked in with a unit. The sort of people who will buy this will not care about specs.
  9.    #9  

Low Price and high amounts of content all from one source. That is how they won the ereader market at least.

Its for people who want a device to easily access amazon services first on a mobile device. And I think a lot of people could be sold on that. A whole lot.
    I doubt it's intended to be comparable to the iPAD, rather it's meant to be something relatively cheap for people who shop a lot at Amazon and want something that does a bit of browsing and the like - it will be sold as Kindle model rather than a tablet I'd think. I read that a year's worth of amazon prime will also be chucked in with a unit. The sort of people who will buy this will not care about specs.
    Thanks. This was my thinking, you just stated it better. I put that bit in there about the iPad, cause all the tech sites keep bringing this comparison up. I wish they would stop doing that.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  11.    #11  
    Thanks. This was my thinking, you just stated it better. I put that bit in there about the iPad, cause all the tech sites keep bringing this comparison up. I wish they would stop doing that.
    Ha! We all said the same thing but with all different approaches!

Yeah, the tech media gets lazily obsessed with specs. I'm only 28 and i remember that always being the case, even in the 80's. Not everyone does, but most due. Actually a lot of common things between the 80's and the mobile space now.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    HP has the same problem, it tried to sell the touchpad like it did it's PCs - with information on their website that would only appeal to a techie.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss
    Amazon cares more about selling media content then hardware. They already sell books, movies, music crossplatform. The hardware devices is a means to an end. At least in my opinion.
    And what did Amazon customers get in their email yesterday?

Dear Customer,

I have big news for Amazon Prime members – we’ve just signed a deal with FOX to add a broad selection of movies and TV shows to our unlimited instant streaming service later this fall. The new additions from the FOX library include 24, Arrested Development, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and – available on digital video for the first time – The Wonder Years. We now have deals with CBS, NBCUniversal, Sony, and Warner Bros, and adding FOX will bring the total to more than 11,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited instant streaming.

Since launching earlier this year, we have now doubled the number of titles available in Prime instant videos, and there’s still more to come. Prime membership remains $79 a year, and of course features our unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products. Prime is one of the best values anywhere.

If you’re a Prime member, start watching now. If not, start your one-month free trial today.

Thanks for being a customer,

Jeff Bezos
    Founder & CEO

P.S. You can also watch movies and TV shows instantly at our Amazon Instant Video Store, where we offer more than 100,000 movies and TV shows for rent or purchase, no Prime membership required.
    They already have the music player in place, they have document storage in space, they have video in place. As you indicate, where they have a massive advantage over HP is that, out of the box, they offer far more content via a single user account.
  13.    #13  
    HP has the same problem, it tried to sell the touchpad like it did it's PCs - with information on their website that would only appeal to a techie.

And what did Amazon customers get in their email yesterday?

They already have the music player in place, they have document storage in space, they have video in place. As you indicate, where they have a massive advantage over HP is that, out of the box, they offer far more content via a single user account.
    What interests me is how Amazon joining the fun will change the prices of tablets in the future. Eink really dropped down in price because of amazon. Then again apple wasnt in that market setting a ceiling price either.
    I hadn't seen that. I was thinking about getting amazon prime anyway. For people like me, that's taking $79 off the tablet.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    What interests me is how Amazon joining the fun will change the prices of tablets in the future. Eink really dropped down in price because of amazon. Then again apple wasnt in that market setting a ceiling price either.

Indeed, my problem (if you can call it a problem) is that I'm heavily embedded into the Google ego-system - all my photos are in there, more and more of my documents* are in there, all my email goes into it - so cheaper android tablets would be of benefit to me (or someone porting ice-creaming sandwich to my touchpad).

* Google Drive is suppose to arrive shortly which is basically a dropbox rip-off, so that makes it more valuable to me. I paid them $20 a year for 80gb of storage so look forward to using more of it!

Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I hadn't seen that. I was thinking about getting amazon prime anyway. For people like me, that's taking $79 off the tablet.
    That's not confirmed yet but it the analysts see it as likely - that would also explain why they have linked Amazon Prime for their streaming service. So users will turn this tablet on and instantly have access to lots of free streaming content, plus be able to access their music via the amazon cloud player. Even if the spec isn't great, this to the average consumer seems a great deal and is something that is easy to explain in marketing - "you buy this, you get free deliveries from Amazon plus free streaming films and TV shows, plus instant access to your music wherever you are".

That's what HP lacked when entering the market as late as they did.
    Why did HP only order 800,000 Touchpads if Amazon can order 8 million tablets?
    Because the Amazon wanna to sell in many countries, and the HP tried to sell in two or three only...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Because the Amazon wanna to sell in many countries, and the HP tried to sell in two or three only...

Best Regards...

I thought Amazon's plan was "America today, Europe tomorrow, rest or the world by end of the week!"

Apparently 8 million tablets didn't seem enough... it's now reported in Digitimes that Amazon has upped its order to 9.3 million units, making the contractor very happy and profitable. How can they possibly expect to sell 9.3 million Amazon tablets before Christmas? I don't think FedEx and UPS combines can manage to ship all of them? (unless Amazon also plans to sell this tablet
    at retail stores?)
    Music, movies, cloud storage?
    Ha ha ha.
    Doesn't TP have all that as well?
    I got a dropbox account for free.
    I think they got a movie store.
    I thought they were getting a music store as well.

I bet not one person "starving" for content even bothered looking in the store...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Ha ha ha.

I bet not one person "starving" for content even bothered looking in the store...
    The Amazon tablet will cost next to nothing for frequent Amazon shoppers.
    (after figuring all the special deals that Amazon will throw in)
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Ha ha ha.

I stream on amazon for free. Don't think I can do that at other stores. I'm already a prime member so streaming is just icing on the cake.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast