Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    Seriously, are you going to argue with me that Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HP Moviestore, et cetera all have the same amount of movies and television shows?

etc...

Tip - You are entitled to your opinions freely, but at least research things like HP moviestore or how many different devices Amazon On Demand is streaming to before using them in your arguments.
    If you read my post, it clearly does not say that every content provider has the same amount of content. What it does say though is that they pretty much all have the opportunity to get the same content. And by the way, I am what you would call an "expert witness" on the subject matter of VOD.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Because Amazon is a well run company that knows what it is doing. hp isn't.
    That is a -lot- of tablets..........

I'm admittedly not hot on the idea of a 7" tablet. It's small and not really my ball of wax. I seriously wonder if there's enough demand to support that many tablet sales. I guess a 200$ pricetag helps, but that's still one hell of alot of devices with rather mediocre system specs...

Also, why the hell are these devices coming WITHOUT an sd card reader? It seems so massively shortsighted that in todays world a tiny little expandable storage slot isn't standard equipment on everything. On my 32gig touchpad this hasn't really been an issue yet (32 gigs is still alot of space), but I would pretty easily fill 8 gigs without even trying. Serious failsauce there. No excuse for it.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

I'm admittedly not hot on the idea of a 7" tablet. It's small and not really my ball of wax. I seriously wonder if there's enough demand to support that many tablet sales. I guess a 200$ pricetag helps, but that's still one hell of alot of devices with rather mediocre system specs...
    Reminds me of "GABBO IS COMING!" from The Simpsons. Amazon has done an amazing thing, hyping up a mediocre, feature-starved tablet as the Second Coming of the iPad, and doing it so close to the Christmas shopping season. I'd tip my hat if I wore one.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

Also, why the hell are these devices coming WITHOUT an sd card reader? It seems so massively shortsighted that in todays world a tiny little expandable storage slot isn't standard equipment on everything. On my 32gig touchpad this hasn't really been an issue yet (32 gigs is still alot of space), but I would pretty easily fill 8 gigs without even trying. Serious failsauce there. No excuse for it.
    Because they want you to use cloud services and buy content, not load your own - it's about getting as much out of consumers as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because they want you to use cloud services and buy content, not load your own - it's about getting as much out of consumers as possible.
    It's a poor choice on the manufacturers part.

Annoying to hobble a device when such an inexpensive little piece of hardware would make such a big difference.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    If you read my post, it clearly does not say that every content provider has the same amount of content.
    No just the post I replied to only a few posts earlier did. And they were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    No. Everybody pretty much has the same video content. And you have most likely paid already for the library content. Who knows, maybe even multiple times. Now, we have to pay...again for the same free library crap that we have already paid for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Why did HP only order 800,000 Touchpads(plus the 100,000 to 200,000 yet to be made),
    Because they were not as stupid in everything as some people think. They were relaunching a platform (actually it was a ctrl alt del - mojo and a reboot - enyo) invented by a company (Palm) they purchased due to said company's (Palm) imminent bankruptcy of which said company's (Palm) premier mobile platform failed to gain consumer traction the first go round, which may have also contributed to said company's (Palm) financial woes.
    if Amazon can order 8 million Amazon 7" tablets? (yes, EIGHT MILLION, in the initialnbatch)
    Amazon is not exactly new to tablets, they have a tablet like device in the Kindle. They already have a market.
    Does Amazon know the tablet market better than the biggest PC maker, HP?
    Short answer: Yes
    Making PCs has nothing to do with selling tablets. Each device has it's own consumer market. As mentioned earlier, Amazon already has a tablet like device. They are not jumping in blind with an unproven os.
    What would have happened if HP originally ordered 2 million Touchpads?
    There would have been 2 million more happy firesale purchasers.

Difference between HP and Amazon:
    1: Amazon has one of the largest online stores in the world.
    2: Amazon has a large online music store
    3: Amazon now has an online movie content delivery system larger than what HP has
    4: Amazon has cloud storage
    5: Amazon has large online bookstore
    6: Amazon created their Appstore before the launch of their android based tablet. Smart
    7:People are already used to buying Kindles. Nobody was used to buying Touchpads
    8: Amazon's choice of android underpinnings is not as risky as webos. Android already sells.

Amazon has their ducks in a row. HP tried to have a duck but didn't quite manage it and entered the tablet market with a single duckling. The duckling tried to swim for awhile, but it found it's head constantly dipping under the tablet wave.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/28/2011 at 07:53 PM.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123