Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Music, movies, cloud storage?
    Ha ha ha.
    Doesn't TP have all that as well?
    I got a dropbox account for free.
    I think they got a movie store.
    I thought they were getting a music store as well.

I bet not one person "starving" for content even bothered looking in the store...
    Just because there are half hearted efforts from HP to put up a movie store with a few movies in it doesn't mean its the same as the complete package amazon already has on offer across multiple platforms.

HP making a deal for cloud storage isn't unique or new either. My netbook from 2008 came with 20 gb of free cloud storage as well.

Amazon has a unified integrated system.
    slbailey1 and dignitary like this.
    Music, movies, cloud storage?
    Ha ha ha.
    Doesn't TP have all that as well?
    I got a dropbox account for free.
    I think they got a movie store.
    I thought they were getting a music store as well.
    Well, you've sold me! Do they sell these TP's at Best Buy? Or any webOS tablet, doesn't matter, I'll walk right over today and grab one.

Oh ... Ha ha ha.

This Amazon tablet is likely to be a dead-simple device meant for consuming all Amazon has to offer. Buy an album from Amazon, and it's available on your tablet. Rent a movie, same thing. Buy a book, same thing. Purchase an app, same thing. No extra steps, it's just there. The Amazon tablet will be so plugged into their ecosystem that you won't even know it's based on a Google OS. It'll be most like iOS experience, and that's the main reason it has a chance to be more successful than the other Android tablets.

Still won't touch the iPad in sales, but 2nd place would be nothing to sneeze at.
    dignitary likes this.
    Well I have to say that I never even checked out the HP movie store, I can't vouch for the selection.

As for being "plugged in" to the Amazon ecosystem, you go girl. I can't stand living in a closed world like that, and I am actually pretty shocked that a Android user is so excited about it as well.

I have my iPod. I thought it was a pretty excellent device. I never once actually bought anything from iTunes. I really thought the iTunes PC interfaced sucked as well...
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As for being "plugged in" to the Amazon ecosystem, you go girl. I can't stand living in a closed world like that, and I am actually pretty shocked that a Android user is so excited about it as well.
    Most people don't give a crap if something is open, closed or a walled garden - they just care that it works and they can get the content they want in a couple of clicks. This is the market that amazon will target. It's like people who go on about the DRM on kindle books, people who buy a kindle don't care, people who will buy this tablet will not care.

Amazon is squarely and firmly aimed by people who are in the mainstream and don't care about any of this stuff.
    What exactly is the downside of being tied in to a closed ecosystem if it has all the content you want and let's you access it in an elegant way?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What exactly is the downside of being tied in to a closed ecosystem if it has all the content you want and let's you access it in an elegant way?
    especially as seems likely, they give you this content for a year free when you buy the tablet (if the free one year membership of amazon prime is true).
    Who said I was excited about it? I prefer my Android as lightly modified, bloatless AOSP, and so does my Evo. But it's all about having the choice. People say the Android platform is fragmented, I say that means there's something out there for everyone. If you want to be tightly integrated into Amazon, if you're a fan of that company and their offerings, then this is the tablet for you. Underneath it all, it's still Android, it will run all the same apps and have all the same functionality, just with a pretty Amazon face on top of it.

There are Sense tablets, TouchWiz, and eventually Motoblur, but underneath all of that, it's Android and it'll run all the apps you can throw at it. Beautiful, ain't it?
    dignitary and slbailey1 like this.
    I don't think anyone is getting Amazon Prime for free.
    Also, most people already pay for cable and premium cable etc. already have access to all that free library content anyway. I don't really think that I will be renting new releases on any tablet for $4. I know that everyone gets excited about being able to do all of this, but, don't think I'll ever use it personally.

Closed ecosystems sucks, because they begin by imposing stupid rules and regulations that are totally uneccessary. Like, for instance, why the hell can't Apple enable flash on their devices? Oh yeah, because it is not an Apple product. So closed ecosystems pretty much blow, especially stuff so tightly integrated.

I would just like to be able to play my content that I have already paid for, or want to purchase (from wherever I please) and be able to see it, hear it, touch it, etc. And it would be nice if it was just as simple and elegant as the content that is being sponsored by the hardware manufacturers...
    You can do that with music from iTunes and Amazon MP3 though -- they both sell drm-free songs.

Video content is another story but everyone is at the mercy of the studios anyway.
    LinuxKoss and sinsin07 like this.
    No. Everybody pretty much has the same video content. And you have most likely paid already for the library content. Who knows, maybe even multiple times. Now, we have to pay...again for the same free library crap that we have already paid for...
  11.    #31  
    No. Everybody pretty much has the same video content. And you have most likely paid already for the library content. Who knows, maybe even multiple times. Now, we have to pay...again for the same free library crap that we have already paid for...
    You laughed earlier about people not using HP movie storefront, and then later say everyone basically has the same content.

I've been using palm hardware since my first palm pilot, and currently have two webOS devices. I love webOS, And even sold a few HP computers when someone didn't want me to build them a custom one. That being said, HP's offerings with movies is a joke. Amazon just recently doubled their number of tv shows and movies. They have strong agreements with many major record labels for music. And a growing app store. Plus they lead In the ebook market.

All of these services are massively larger than anything HP has on offer. That is the bottom line. And if they make things as easy to buy and view on their tablets as they did on their eink readers, they can serve a big market.
    sinsin07 and dignitary like this.
    I was just saying that HP did have a movie thing, for people who are into it.
    Most of this content that is on any of these streaming sites is not exclusive for any content provider. Most of the time this free content is wrapped into a package that studios offer for XX number of hours per month etc. Once deals are inked with a content provider and the studios, the content provider usually can choose whatever packages they want to license. And unless it is new content, it is usually free to content providers (except for a nominal delivery fee). Have you not figured out that VOD is payed for by the first run movies yet???
    I guess the question is if you're going to be locked into an ecosystem for anything of value, would you rather be tied to Amazon/Apple or whatever HP licenses from whomever?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I guess the question is if you're going to be locked into an ecosystem for anything of value, would you rather be tied to Amazon/Apple or whatever HP licenses from whomever?
    Why settle for being locked in?
    I have not tried, but can the TP access the content in the Amazon Prime catalog?
    I know it can't do netflix because of the whole silverlight thing...

So essentially it would be really cool if like the Amazon tablet had a cool "store" that was really an "app" that accessed the same content as Amazon Prime, even though it could be accessed just as easily from the web page more than likely...

The problem comes from people merely accepting to live within a closed ecosystem. I am pretty shocked that Android people are so harsh on WebOs, when honestly, the WebOs geeks are pretty dedicated to homebrew and patching, etc... And the whole appeal of Anroid was it's openness to begin with.
  15.    #35  
    I was just saying that HP did have a movie thing, for people who are into it.
    Most of this content that is on any of these streaming sites is not exclusive for any content provider. Most of the time this free content is wrapped into a package that studios offer for XX number of hours per month etc. Once deals are inked with a content provider and the studios, the content provider usually can choose whatever packages they want to license. And unless it is new content, it is usually free to content providers (except for a nominal delivery fee). Have you not figured out that VOD is payed for by the first run movies yet???
    Seriously, are you going to argue with me that Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HP Moviestore, et cetera all have the same amount of movies and television shows?

By the way, everything else you post after that no one is disagreeing on. This is extra info that isn't part of the premise at hand.

Edit - And yes, Amazon does stream on mobile browsers including the touchpad. Also, their music is DRM free. Although it is in mp3, and not ogg or another free format. How far are you willing to go for freedom of use? Are you going to argue to shun mp3's now and use something like ogg instead? Are you surely running a free linux distro that doesn't contain corporate binary blobs? Are you some Richard Stallman follower? Btw, Google and Android break the GPL and other open-source licenses all the time. Its happened in the past, and it will happen again. And I'm not even talking about honeycomb here either.

What about DVD and Blu-ray? Do you only buy region free discs for the freedom? Do you shun DVDs and blu-ray because they are not encoded using a free open source codec like ogg video?

Do you refuse to watch video's wrapped in Flash because it limits your use? h.264? Shun those and use WebM then.

Do you only watch creative commons video and music, because of their freedom from binding contracts limiting your use?

Tip - You are entitled to your opinions freely, but at least research things like HP moviestore or how many different devices Amazon On Demand is streaming to before using them in your arguments.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 09/28/2011 at 03:45 AM.
    $199?
    Now I know why Amazon placed an order for 9.3 milllion of the new tablet.
    If it is $199 with a free year of Prime, that is a steal.

Edit: Only a 30 day trial. And no camera or microphone. Probably other compromises too to get it under $200. Basically the Nook Color with Amazon integration. Meh.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    If it is $199 with a free year of Prime, that is a steal.

Edit: Only a 30 day trial. And no camera or microphone. Probably other compromises too to get it under $200. Basically the Nook Color with Amazon integration. Meh.
    It's not for me but will still sell by the bucket-load.
    Because Leo Ap****er was stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's not for me but will still sell by the bucket-load.
    And this is why they ordered 8 million HP might have ordered 8 million TouchPads if they could've retained all of the features while selling at $199, but they couldn't, so they didn't. The one smart thing they did was keeping the initial run conservative -- based on sales before the firesale, it was not a bad idea, maybe the only non-bad idea they had in regards to this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast