Hi all,

FYI....see link.
    Take care,

Jay

September 26, 2011
    Amazon's Tablet Serious Challenge to Apple's iPad: Analysts
    By REUTERS

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc, which revolutionized reading with its Kindle e-reader, is expected to unveil a tablet computer this week that analysts say will seriously challenge Apple's market dominating iPad.

Amazon on Friday invited media to a press conference to be held in New York on Wednesday, declining to provide further details.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    amazon has the infrastructure and a large enough user base that they could be the only ones that can put a significant dent in apples dominance of the tablet market
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    amazon has the infrastructure and a large enough user base that they could be the only ones that can put a significant dent in apples dominance of the tablet market
    Hi all,

I agree with you all the way....this is why I have stated from the minute that HP was the announced buyer of webOS...that BEFORE they bought webOS HP should have secured some kind of pipeline deal with Amazon.....Palm should have also tried to sell itself to Amazon just so that Amazon could have controlled webOS and placed it on it's own tablet....

From what I've read...Amazon has dropped it's template over Android and that if you didn't know it was run by Android...you couldn't tell.

Also Amazon seems content to lose money on the purchase price in order to get your business for their App store, music and Vid downloads.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post

If the Amazon tablet only had a 7-inch screen as reported, I do not see how it can
    possibly be a threat to iPads. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Apple$ $has$ $never$ $tried$ $to$ $compete$ $with$ $other$
    product on price.

The only 7-inch tablet that I consider usable is the new Samsung Galaxy 7.7-inch
    tablet with AMOLED screen. All other 7-inch tablets with traditional LCD screens
    are nearly unusable.

Imagine reading a PDF on a 7-inch tablet. That's only slightly better than reading
    it on a 3.5-inch or 4-inch smartphone.
    Amazon is strong only in few coutries, is not a global player...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Amazon is strong only in few coutries, is not a global player...

Best Regards...
    You're kidding, right?

Millions of people from non-English-speaking country order stuff from Amazon
    every single year.... (just check their most SEC filings for the last three years)
    Nothing will catch the iPad. Ever. It's just the reality of the tablet business. Every time a new, exciting tablet is released, it's a potential iPad killer, and yet they all have disappointing sales. As an Android user, I'd love to see someone come along and give Apple a run for their money, but they've got this one locked up. Best you can hope for is a distant 2nd.
    "Hewlett Packard Co announced recently it would abandon its tablet."
    Yeah, only like a month behind! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I agree with you all the way....this is why I have stated from the minute that HP was the announced buyer of webOS...that BEFORE they bought webOS HP should have secured some kind of pipeline deal with Amazon.....Palm should have also tried to sell itself to Amazon just so that Amazon could have controlled webOS and placed it on it's own tablet....

From what I've read...Amazon has dropped it's template over Android and that if you didn't know it was run by Android...you couldn't tell.

Also Amazon seems content to lose money on the purchase price in order to get your business for their App store, music and Vid downloads.

Take care,

Jay
    Hmmm... not sure if I agree.
    If amazon bought palm, we would've likely gotten a webOS incarnation of tablet but not the phone. And most of us really want a new webOS phone before tablet. Plus an amazon webOS tablet would've been heavily skinned and made into a reader or video streamer first, which is what is expected from the upcoming kindle tablet. Everyone here was happy that HP was the buyer then b/c we believed in HP's size, money, and distribution channels to power through.

But good point about working out some kind of deal with amazon... that's a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Nothing will catch the iPad. Ever. It's just the reality of the tablet business. Every time a new, exciting tablet is released, it's a potential iPad killer, and yet they all have disappointing sales. As an Android user, I'd love to see someone come along and give Apple a run for their money, but they've got this one locked up. Best you can hope for is a distant 2nd.
    The true iPad killer is iPad itself. (or more precisely, the next iPad) :0

The current iPad 2 has a terrible screen, just like any other tablet
    computer, including the HP Touchpad. If iPad 3 comes out with
    a better screen, the it will kill iPad 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    You're kidding, right?

Millions of people from non-English-speaking country order stuff from Amazon
    every single year.... (just check their most SEC filings for the last three years)
    No, it's serious.

The Amazon only cover really the US, Canadá, EU and some other countries.

To the rest, just don't send electronics... only books or CD/DVD, etc...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Imagine reading a PDF on a 7-inch tablet.
    Not hard to imagine if you've ever used a Nook Color.

That's only slightly better than reading
    it on a 3.5-inch or 4-inch smartphone.
    And no...
    I will be intrigued to see what this Amazon tablet will be (instead of just hearing endless analyst speculation.)

It will be really interesting to see if it just releases as an Amazon branded android tablet (perhaps with a heavily reworked interface of its own) or if it really offers something different. Considering all android tablets have access to the Amazon App Store and Kindle E books (not to mention google books and B&N books) what will the Amazon tablet offer in addition other than just the Amazon name?

-Suntan
  14.    #14  
    The true iPad killer is iPad itself. (or more precisely, the next iPad) :0

The current iPad 2 has a terrible screen, just like any other tablet
    computer, including the HP Touchpad. If iPad 3 comes out with
    a better screen, the it will kill iPad 2.
    Hi, there is always the possibly that Amazon would have license the phone out but we will never know.....

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, there is always the possibly that Amazon would have license the phone out but we will never know.....

Take care,

Jay
    phone? what phone? now there's gonna be an Amazon phone as well?
  16.    #16  
    phone? what phone? now there's gonna be an Amazon phone as well?
    Hi...No phone I was surmising what would have been if Amazon bought webOS I assume they would license the tech out for a phone......

I still say HP should have bought webOS ONLY if they had a pipeline deal in hand such as with Amazon....

Take care,

Jay