1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (RIM) may have an unsold stockpile of nearly 800,000 PlayBook tablets more than it shipped to wholesalers and retailers in its first six months made for it by Quanta Computer, the world's largest PC contract maker.

Quanta spokesman Elton Yang told the Taiwanese trade paper Digitimes that the company has cut staffing levels on its production lines in northern Taiwan by around 1,000 jobs to less than 2,000. However, he said that those who left had been contractors rather than full-time staff.
    RIM's cuts at PlayBook factory point to huge inventory backlog | Technology | guardian.co.uk

What do we think chums - is that $99 playbook waiting for us?*

* Actually I think the answer is 'no' simply because Blackberry had bet the farm on QNX.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    They don't have 800,000 Playbook inventory.

They may have 800,000 Playbook PARTS inventory. Things like LCD screens are highly sought after and you have to buy a million units at a time. This is why there are a few hundred thousand TouchPad parts that are available to be assembled for a special second factory run.
    I would love to get a hand on Playbook. I will pay as high as $200 for this tablet. Bring it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I would love to get a hand on Playbook. I will pay as high as $200 for this tablet. Bring it on.
    got one for $200+tax at Staples(stacked 2 coupons).
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    There will never be a $99 playbook.
    RIM is not killing the playbook line.

I did pick one up for 250 though at staples... hey why not?
    $99 still maybe I want one.. for a copycat WebOS.. I really have hard feeling to use that tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    $99 still maybe I want one.. for a copycat WebOS.. I really have hard feeling to use that tablet.
    Copycat or not I think Playbook is better built and reliable than TP. Less apps than TP but with next OS upgrade, they will have Android player. It will have plenty of apps soon.

I saw it at the staple yesterday for $250. But I personally hate mail in rebate. Plus, I have to wait to see what Amazon is going to announce on wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Copycat or not I think Playbook is better built and reliable than TP. Less apps than TP but with next OS upgrade, they will have Android player. It will have plenty of apps soon.

I saw it at the staple yesterday for $250. But I personally hate mail in rebate. Plus, I have to wait to see what Amazon is going to announce on wednesday.
    What's wrong with spending two minutes and a 44-cent stamp to get $100 back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturos View Post
    There will never be a $99 playbook.
    RIM is not killing the playbook line.

I did pick one up for 250 though at staples... hey why not?
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it for 250? The cheapest I see is 299 with 200 off.

TIA
    wait 2 months, it will be 99
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    wait 2 months, it will be 99
    If it indeed goes down to $99 in 60 days, I'll wait 40 days and buy
    one at full price. Wait 20 more days for it to go down to $99 and
    go back to the store for a pricematch. If they refuse, then I'll just
    return it.

Come to think of it, is that the reason why Playbooks are all sold
    out at my local Staples stores in the last couple of weeks?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it for 250? The cheapest I see is 299 with 200 off.

TIA
    It's $299 online, but only $249.99 in-store at staples.
    The deal goes through Oct 5th i believe.
    It'll be $149 probably around Black Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturos View Post
    It's $299 online, but only $249.99 in-store at staples.
    The deal goes through Oct 5th i believe.
    Thanks!