Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Was curious if anyone with Android experience could give me a comparison of the browser(s) in Android and the touchpad browser. I hate the TP browser and its one reason i would be interested in an Android port when it does get here. Thx in advance.
  2. #2  
    <thread moved>
  3. #3  
    In my opinion the stock android browser is better. There is also a handful of browsers to choose from in the market one of which is Firefox.

    -Both stock browsers are pretty basic and neither have tabs, Firefox does.
    -I occasionally get force closes on the Android browser but have yet to have one on webOS.
    -Bookmarks can be arrainged in Android, not webOS.
    -You can select between a desktop view and mobile view in the Android settings, as far as I know in webOS this is not an option.
    -You can set the cache size in Android, you can disable the cache with preware in webOS but there is no native support.
    -I have a hard time selecting text on webOS but find it very easy on Android. This is probably more of a prefernce than a flaw or lack of a feature.

    There are definitely more differences but these are the ones that get on my nerves from time to time.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    In my opinion the stock android browser is better. There is also a handful of browsers to choose from in the market one of which is Firefox.

    -Both stock browsers are pretty basic and neither have tabs, Firefox does.so does Dolphin, can't remember if Mirin does, but lots of choices as you said
    -I occasionally get force closes on the Android browser but have yet to have one on webOS.I haven't had any force closes on mine, but some OOM type resets, OG Droid only has 256 megs of ram, so it does what it can.
    -Bookmarks can be arrainged in Android, not webOS.And have thumbnails, crazy that I have that on my phone and not on my tablet.
    -You can select between a desktop view and mobile view in the Android settings, as far as I know in webOS this is not an option.can change user agent string as well
    -You can set the cache size in Android, you can disable the cache with preware in webOS but there is no native support.
    -I have a hard time selecting text on webOS but find it very easy on Android. This is probably more of a prefernce than a flaw or lack of a feature.No, I think it's a feature. You get those handles that, for whatever reason, are larger on my phone than on the tablet.

    There are definitely more differences but these are the ones that get on my nerves from time to time.
    Another big one for me is being able to open links in the background.
  5.    #5  
    what about pop up windows? How do they open? I hate the way they open in tp.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    what about pop up windows? How do they open? I hate the way they open in tp.
    lol, I don't know. I can't even remember the last time I encountered a pop up window on my phone (surfing a mix of mobile and desktop sites).
  7. #7  
    pop ups open in new windows in the background...
  8. Jotokun's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #8  
    On Android, my browser of choice would be Opera Mobile (not to be confused with Opera Mini). Its the only Android browser I've found with iOS like fluidity in zooming and scrolling. As long as you set it to use a desktop user agent instead of the tablet one, it has almost no rendering incompatibilities (only one I've found is it doesnt play nice with Disqus messaging systems) and the tablet issues are only because its not webkit based.

    Its UI changes whether you're on a phone or tablet, and it does its detection by screen resolution instead of Android version number so the tablet UI will play nice with the Gingerbread based CM7.

    Unlike both the WebOS browser and most Android browsers, you get to choose on a case by case basis where downloaded content is stored

    Bookmarks are far better than webOS's since you have folders.

    Pretty much the only thing I find superior in the webOS browser to Opera Mobile is that webOS has a unified URL/Search bar whereas they're separate in Opera.

    A nice feature it has is that as you zoom, the text resizes so it'll fit on screen without having to scroll left or right. Other Android browsers do this too, but they dont resize until after you remove your fingers. Opera does it as you zoom.

    Popups are opened in a new tab. If you open something in a new tab or a popup loads in a new tab, it does so in the background and the tab icon blinks.

    Other Android browsers arent bad. I've just been spoiled by the fluidity of iOS's browser, and Opera is the only one I've found to match it on Android.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post

    A nice feature it has is that as you zoom, the text resizes so it'll fit on screen without having to scroll left or right. Other Android browsers do this too, but they dont resize until after you remove your fingers. Opera does it as you zoom.
    Actually, thats also a feature on the browser in all of HTCs phones.
    (It's a feature of their "Sense" overlay, but whether they use the Android browser, or have their own HTC browser Im not sure)

    That's actually one of my favorite features with HTC phones, one of the reasons why I usually get them, and probably also why I never saw the need to download a different browser. And like in Opera, the text reflows as you zoom in and out.

    But thanks for expanding my horizon! Ive always assumed that most browsers had this!
    BTW: I believe the feature is called "text reflow"
  10. #10  
    CM7 has text reflow. Something to look forward to on the Android port.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    CM7 has text reflow. Something to look forward to on the Android port.
    Text reflow is awesome, I can no longer function without it!
  12. Jotokun's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Actually, thats also a feature on the browser in all of HTCs phones.
    (It's a feature of their "Sense" overlay, but whether they use the Android browser, or have their own HTC browser Im not sure)

    That's actually one of my favorite features with HTC phones, one of the reasons why I usually get them, and probably also why I never saw the need to download a different browser. And like in Opera, the text reflows as you zoom in and out.

    But thanks for expanding my horizon! Ive always assumed that most browsers had this!
    BTW: I believe the feature is called "text reflow"
    Most overlays include tweaked versions of the stock browser, so I"m not too surprised Sense has that.

    CM7 does have it as an option, but I've always thought it felt a bit unnatural since there's a bit of a delay between when you zoom and when the text reflows. But, the CM7 browser does have a feature unique to it that I wish other browsers would adopt... a night mode. Not night mode as in dimming screen brightness, but by inverting the color of everything on the page except images (think white text on black background). Goes great with CM7's system wide red filter as well (for preserving night vision).
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    I tend to use the browser that is built into Lastpass the most. Having said that, I notice that google are now going to be bring chrome to android so we should see a lot tighter integration with that ecosystem.
  14. #14  
    Android browsers don't rubber-band side to side beyond the actual edge of the page.

    No idea *** HP/palm was thinking on that one.

    Android browsers also properly display text without huge amounts of graphical tearing and glitching. You'd think that would be pretty standard across any browser in existance, but HP/Palm managed to screw that extremely BASIC need up.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

    Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html

Posting Permissions