View Poll Results: What will you do when android becomes an option on the Touchpad?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep WebOS: HP loves me and will support WebOS forever, right?

54 55.10%
  • Install Android 2.3 (that's what the CM7 guys are working on): I plan to sell my soul to google

29 29.59%
  • Wait for Android 3.0 or 4.0 before I switch: I'd prefer Android to WebOS, but I need a tablet OS!

13 13.27%
  • I don't care, I never got/already sold my Touchpad and I'm just here to troll

2 2.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Forget it. No reason to try to have a discussion on this forum if the mods are just going to alter/delete my posts. This poll, even hidden in this inappropriate subforum, still told me everything I needed to know.
    Last edited by oemleria; 09/19/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    no. I'm webOS all the way! I've not liked the interface of any android phone or tablet I've tried.
    I want webOS on android hardware, not the other way around.
    clayclay350, Vij, Jozz and 6 others like this.
    If I wanted another Os, I'd have bought another tablet than the TP.

All the needed apps are here for me. At least almost, but community is on its way

Did I mention, speaking of which, that webos community is the best around the web ?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    not a chance. I am using a galaxy s2. Fantastic phone, probably top specs on market. Its super quick, great screen, loads of apps. I absolutely hate it. Android just isn't there for me. How will touchpad work without a back button you need to press 20 times to get anywhere. (to any android fans , yeah I know that isn't strictly true, but god its not as easy as swipe to minimise, swipe to close is it ?)
    Titan078 likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    There are some cool things about WebOS, like swiping cards. But seriously folks. With Android, there's already an app for everything. And the CM7 boys. And you know Ice Cream Sandwich is down the line. There's really no argument. Oh, and to top it off, the CM7 guys have stated they will not release until everything is 100%. The intent is a 100% perfect Android tablet. It gives me chills thinking about it.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I'll dual boot, why cut yourself off from additional functionality, a new experience, the 'because I can' factor?

It would be a bit like owning a DVD player and never watching a whole genre of films because you saw a rubbish one once. <Another Dodgy Analogy Ends>
    I'm switching as soon as there's a stable build available. This thing is going to blow Tegra 2-based Android tablets away in performance.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I am. WebOS is nice, but the apps are a little too buggy for my taste. Its too bad, if webOS were held back until it was genuinely ready, the touchpad would have been a force to be reckoned with.

BTW, CM7 is based on 2.3, not 2.2.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
    CM7 is based on 2.3, not 2.2.
    Yeah, realized that after I posted it. Kind of a shame, really (I hate to be the cause of disinformation). Maybe a mod will edit the poll?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I'll dual boot, for sure. There are lots of Apps I've already paid for that I enjoy using too much to let them sit unused. I think that having both Android and WebOs one a single device will be great.
    My Palm history.
    Sony Clie', Treo 650, Treo700p, Centro, Treo 800w, Palm Pre, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shebaswhiskers View Post
    not a chance. I am using a galaxy s2. Fantastic phone, probably top specs on market. Its super quick, great screen, loads of apps. I absolutely hate it. Android just isn't there for me. How will touchpad work without a back button you need to press 20 times to get anywhere. (to any android fans , yeah I know that isn't strictly true, but god its not as easy as swipe to minimise, swipe to close is it ?)
    They're building on screen buttons into the bottom status bar (identical to how the buttons function on all android tablets without hard buttons; see any honeycomb tablet).

Android for me, for sure. It has the Apps and it has the function I want. Maybe it's just cause I'm used to android, but i don't feel like there's enough I can do with webos. Can't even replace the buggy browser as a default; not that there's a decent replacement for it on the webos app catalog either way. Since there's dual boot, ill obviously use that, as I'm sure some day I'll want to use webos for something (can't image what right now, but the day might come)...but if forced to pick one or the other, android all the way.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    I'll dual boot, why cut yourself off from additional functionality, a new experience, the 'because I can' factor?

It would be a bit like owning a DVD player and never watching a whole genre of films because you saw a rubbish one once. <Another Dodgy Analogy Ends>
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    I'll dual boot, for sure. There are lots of Apps I've already paid for that I enjoy using too much to let them sit unused. I think that having both Android and WebOs one a single device will be great.
    Hope you voted anyways. I agree that the best option would be to dual boot, but like I pointed out in the OP, if I put that in as an option the poll would probably end up with 3 people saying "WebOS is made of magical puppies!"; 3 people saying "I'm dating someone who looks just like the Android robot!"; and the rest of us would say "dual boot."

So... pick one!
    Quote Originally Posted by oemleria View Post
    Try to keep the comments civil. Opinionated venom makes for funny threads, but I think aggregate numbers will be more interesting than your badly written and largely misspelled rants.
    ONLY PEEPLE WITH NO WEBOS WOULD PUT THAT BUL CRAP ON THERE TOUCHPADS

Seriously, Android (like iOS) is not an option for me and wont ever be. Its part personal, part philosophical and part political. There's a slight emotional part to it also - though not to the point of fanboyism. Due to a range of needs and concerns, the TP is as practical as things will get for now. Its not the 'best' solution (is anything?) but its the one providing the bit of balance that I seek. That being the case, I'm prepared to throw my full support behind the homebrew commulity, make some sacrifices and ride that one into the sunset. When it dies - hopefully no sooner than 3 years from now - the landscape should be different and allow for better decisions and experiences.

I've accepted in part just about every conclusion about webOS over the past 4 weeks so I'm not getting into the TP w/ major expectations for the future. Im using it for what it is RIGHT NOW - a hell of a decent piece of hardware running what is probably the most sophisticated mobile OS available now. Will the hardware be crap in no time? Sure! Is the OS in bad need of optimization? Like a crackhead needs crack. Will webOS soon be eclipsed in capabilities (Just Type, Touch to Share, Synergy, multitasking, etc.)? Its rivals have all implemented those features and are improving them non-stop. The difference here is that they have total commitment to their respective platforms in addition to deep pockets. So the writing on the wall is clear... or has been clear.

The main point here is that the TP excels at some things and does the others well enough so I have no need for Android on it. I do plan to extensively hack it to get the most, but that will be a webOS affair as it is (sadly) the only platform I care to use right now. For reasons that are outside the scope of this chat, compromise is not an option. The current state of things is very bleak but hopefully 2-3 years from now will be Bada.. I mean better
    If not I see/fear a day approaching when a lack of options will relegate me - like webOS - to a tech 'has been.'
    I want to be able to read books and magazines! I can't believe they sold a $500 tablet without that option. That simple option just astounds me.

I voted dual boot Android. Sorry. I'm not fond of the WebOS browser so far.

For my DH who does nothing but plays Solitaire and searches his favorite Websites - WebOS is fine.

I want to be able to turn a page in a PDF and a EPUB. Not just a Kindle Mobi.
    Last edited by allowingtoo; 09/18/2011 at 08:33 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    How's that political and why should it be. Admit you're emotional about Webos and probably mad, a bit.

My answer, buy an iPad ASAP!
    Don't forget to vote for the fourth option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I want webOS on android hardware, not the other way around.
    YES!

I lol at this:
    Keep WebOS: HP loves me and will support WebOS forever, right?
    I don't think they love us, but I do love webOS to a certain degree, so I just keep it on my "PalmPad" until it stops working
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    I'll dual boot, why cut yourself off from additional functionality
    Ditto...
    Why would someone stay with WebOS? Like what benefit do you gain? The cards? The wee sound? I can't think of a single thing that would make me not switch. In fact I don't even want a dual boot option. Cleanse my tablet. Will miss the messaging app I guess, but not even CLOSE enough of a reason to get me to stay with WebOS.
    Just Sinergy make webOS worthy.

-- Enviado desde mi HP Touchpad usando Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Just Sinergy make webOS worthy.

-- Enviado desde mi HP Touchpad usando Communities
    I guess, but Android has pretty much the same thing, at least my phone does. Maybe thats why I never thought it was anything remarkably special. Syncing facebook contacts and pictures and events to your device to see in your address book, gallery and calendar, is what synergy is right?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast