View Poll Results: What will you do when android becomes an option on the Touchpad?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep WebOS: HP loves me and will support WebOS forever, right?

54 55.10%
  • Install Android 2.3 (that's what the CM7 guys are working on): I plan to sell my soul to google

29 29.59%
  • Wait for Android 3.0 or 4.0 before I switch: I'd prefer Android to WebOS, but I need a tablet OS!

13 13.27%
  • I don't care, I never got/already sold my Touchpad and I'm just here to troll

2 2.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    i bought my fire sale touchpad with the anticipation that android would eventually be ported to it and i still hold true to that sentiment
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oemleria View Post
    Hope you voted anyways. I agree that the best option would be to dual boot, but like I pointed out in the OP, if I put that in as an option the poll would probably end up with 3 people saying "WebOS is made of magical puppies!"; 3 people saying "I'm dating someone who looks just like the Android robot!"; and the rest of us would say "dual boot."

So... pick one!
    I didn't vote actually because, despite being a 'techie', I have never used Android so I am completely in the dark about what it brings to the table(t) and what it takes away. I also only have a few weeks of experience with webOS (which does the job for me OK but I am another user pining for decent apps).

I would wipe my TP and install Android only if:
    - Dual boot was not an option
    - The CM build seemed stable
    - I could return to webOS if it didn't float my boat

Sorry to be on the fence but I don't hate webOS and I am clueless about Android other than I know it's an option and will likely bring additional functionality for the way I want to use a tablet.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Once Ice-cream sandwich arrives, I think I'll be gone. I like the webOS interface more than android but I find android more stable and usable plus simply faster. WebOS is half-baked in it's current state.
    I guess, but Android has pretty much the same thing, at least my phone does. Maybe thats why I never thought it was anything remarkably special. Syncing facebook contacts and pictures and events to your device to see in your address book, gallery and calendar, is what synergy is right?
    of course... Not. Combining all of that data, from multiples accounts from multiples sources, leaving each source intact, and showing matches ans unique elements. Faaar more complex and useful thant "syncing facebook"

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    of course... Not. Combining all of that data, from multiples accounts from multiples sources, leaving each source intact, and showing matches ans unique elements. Faaar more complex and useful thant "syncing facebook"

I don't understand what you mean - I don't see anything in synergy than it is not possible on my android phone. Which Android phone are using ?
    The Samsung Galaxy S certainly does the above on Android, with the exception of combining your gMail with your other mail, and I think this is part of the OS rather than part of Samsung's skin.

What webOS does have that you need an app for under Android is the depth of search on Just Type (which I've missed since switching from my series of Palms to the Galaxy). On stock Android you can use a widget on the home screen to search apps and the internet together, but not deep down into contacts and documents. Mind you, you can also speak what you want rather than typing it...

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    How's that political and why should it be. Admit you're emotional about Webos and probably mad, a bit.
    Do you read much, friend?

My answer, buy an iPad ASAP!
    I see that analytical thought escapes you too.

To begin w/, iPads weren't even mentioned in the poll (more on that in a few), but following your line of 'logic,' wouldn't it be pretty much a waste of $500 or $600 since you already have a capable tablet? Before it comes to that, wouldn't it make better sense to simply put CM7 on powerful hardware that is already available (which happens to be the actual focus of this post)? Hardware, BTW, that has 2x the RAM of an iPad and a faster CPU?
    Now I see why marketing departments like em young and dumb. SMH

Since iPads werent the focus here, and were never mentioned in the poll, its injection may be a sign of emotion (read: fanboyism) on your part, and your accusation (or were you speculating?) may be highlighting that fact. Look up the psychological term projection.

PS: did you vote that last option in the poll?
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    On stock Android you can use a widget on the home screen to search apps and the internet together, but not deep down into contacts and documents.
    Yeah you can - if you go into the settings for the google search widget, you can get it to access other services depending on what you have installed. So on mine because of the apps I have installed, I can get it to do contacts, dropbox, apps, ebay, evernote, imdb, lastpass, messaging, music, amazon, trip adviser, twitter, wikidroid.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yeah you can - if you go into the settings for the google search widget, you can get it to access other services depending on what you have installed. So on mine because of the apps I have installed, I can get it to do contacts, dropbox, apps, ebay, evernote, imdb, lastpass, messaging, music, amazon, trip adviser, twitter, wikidroid.
    Excellent, thanks.

The thing it doesn't do, though there is an app available, is find contact information in other fields beside the Name. The Palms were brilliant at this. You could fish out all your contacts with a London address, for example. However, I've just tried this with Just Type and it seems to be names only as well.

Drifting off topic, apologies!

Spyke
    Better cut it out -- you're going to make people realize that JustType isn't the exclusive killer feature of webOS. I never quite understood why that was tossed around as something it had over Android, but I guess people who did that had never really used Android in its latest iteration.
    We are fortunate enough to have purchased the HP TouchPad at the bargain price of $99. We use it for a variety of tasks, including shopping, managing checkbooks, children's school activities, track family using Sprint Family Locator, music, games, YouTube, general Web browsing, editing, managing business and personal documents, and so much more. Our TP is protected within a Folio Case, and password protected. It has essentially replaced our old HP laptop. So, we would never alter the webOS by adding the Android OS to it. Peace.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    I voted dual boot Android. Sorry. I'm not fond of the WebOS browser so far.
    I don't see a dual boot option in the poll, but that's the only option I'd consider. webOS for day to day use. Switch to Android for stuff I just can't get done with webOS.
    Better cut it out -- you're going to make people realize that JustType isn't the exclusive killer feature of webOS. I never quite understood why that was tossed around as something it had over Android, but I guess people who did that had never really used Android in its latest iteration.
    I'm not talking abiut just type, but sinergy. And Galaxy phones doesn't do what Sinergy does. I only for Google, I have 5 contacts set, 5 calendars an 5 email accounts, and zero duplicated contact entries, with all the contact's data available.

If you can't see the webOS advantadge on this, you don't use the device for serious data management.

Newness Developments apps:

No thanks. WebOS is what I wanted and it's what I'll keep. I'd rather have better hw but not Android sw (not at all).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I'm not talking abiut just type, but sinergy. And Galaxy phones doesn't do what Sinergy does. I only for Google, I have 5 contacts set, 5 calendars an 5 email accounts, and zero duplicated contact entries, with all the contact's data available.

If you can't see the webOS advantadge on this, you don't use the device for serious data management.
    2.3.x actually does intelligent contact merging for you when you add accounts, or at the very least, offers suggestions for merging if it has doubts about the match. But you are right, I do not have 5 calendars (just 2), 5 email accounts (also just 2), and 5 sets of contacts (just Google and FB), and I bet most people don't either.

And if you need to search contact details other than name, there's a free widget for that
    And Galaxy phones doesn't do what Sinergy does. I only for Google, I have 5 contacts set, 5 calendars an 5 email accounts, and zero duplicated contact entries, with all the contact's data available.

I'm happy to dig into this more deeply in webOS - I've only had my Touchpad a few weeks, but my Galaxy does combine contacts from multiple accounts (Phone synced with Outlook, SIM, Google, Facebook, Skype in my case), with the origin of each clearly shown, the ability to filter the accounts in and out, and merging identical contacts from multiple sources.

With Calendars it's merging five for me (Internal calendar, three Google calendars, and events from Facebook).

Email, as I mentioned above, is handled in two separate apps, one for Gmail and the other for all the rest.

At the moment, apart from also pulling Gmail into the single email app which is beautifully elegant, I'm not sure what Synergy is doing that Android isn't. I'm loving my Touchpad - I'm not dissing webOS here - so I am interested if there's something I'm missing.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I've just tried this on my cheapo android phone, it merges the contacts and all the calendar information appears together. I don't see the difference either.
    I've just tried this on my cheapo android phone, it merges the contacts and all the calendar information appears together. I don't see the difference either.
    I've been reading the Touchpad manual and doing a bit more comparing. I would say - purely subjective - that the implementation feels more elegant under webOS, but functionally the handling of accounts across applications for the two OSes seems very similar.

One thing I do like a lot on the Touchpad is that the filters for the calendars are available on the calendar toolbar, rather than buried three clicks down in the Settings menu on Android.
    "I don't care, I never got/already sold my Touchpad and I'm just here to troll"
    yep, Troll-lol-lol-lol

really though I sold it because of a few things: the OS is in need of some polish (though it is very close for a mobile OS), 'apps' don't compare to 'applications' (not even the web browser holds a candle to even IE), the resale value is astronimacle (means I can essentially trade in the touchpad for a older Tablet PC like the X61t, or Motion M1400, LE1600, F5, and so on -which all have full Windows/ Linux OS with a great Hydis screen that is Wacom pen enabled), and while there are workarounds of sorts for some things it really is just a inferior way to get things done (if there is even a work-around/ patch in the first place)

and while a Tablet PC is heavier with less battery life, you get everything else the Touchpad and all entertainment tablets don't have, a full user experience albeit not with big bubble icons to touch easily
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
    I would have installed it just for the Apps and nothing else.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast