Global Posts
    732 Global Posts
    Yeah, really. I won a free ipad. So what I intend to do here here is compare it as a new user. I have never owned an apple product before. Its my intention to come back to this thread as I get used to it and compare it to my Touchpad.

Its 16GB wifi only ipad. My Touchpad is 32gb. The ipad was delivered to me in the form of an apple gift card so I could have a receipt in my own name. I had $11.92 left over after purchase, so I invested $3.08 of my own money and got a $15.00 gift card for the app store.

I took out of the box and the only instructions were to install itunes on my computer and hook it up. o.k. I dont really want itunes, but ok. The ipad just sat there asking for itunes hookup. Do I want to sync all my music, no, I have over 30GB of music, so not, I repeat NOT sync all my music.

It is thinner and lighter, but not so much that I can really say it matters much to me.

After a couple minutes the ipad was up and running. Getting into setup and connecting to my wifi was easy, setting up my work exchange server and isp (at&t) email was easy.

There were 17 native apps, nothing terribly interesting so I started poking around the app store. I wanted my favorite apps, The local newspaper, skype, kindle, spotify, box.net, so far so good. There were a few I wanted I knew about on ipad, the app for the New Yorker Magazine, Netflix, Nook. I ended up downloading a total of 18 apps, haven't spent a penny yet. I gotta say the app store has a lot of stuff, but very little I have actually wanted to download or spend money on yet.

When I push the home button, I go back to the app screen and the app completely disappears. It seems to quit running (no surprise). If a download (i.e. a book on kindle or nook) it stops downloading while gone.

There is no unified method of going to setup in an app, no swipe down from the left corner. While navigating around has not really baffled me too much, its not as intuitive as my TP. One my apps didn't show up after I downloaded it and it took me a while to figure how to do a restart. I had the same problem on the TP, Audiophille HD once completely locked up my TP and it took about the same amount of research time to figure out how to force a reboot.

It seems pretty quick, but not noticably different than the TP (Uberkernal, overclocked at 1.5 GHz).

The sound quality out of the TP is quite a bit better. The virtual keyboard on the ipad is not as good, I miss having the number row as part of the basic layout. It makes typing codes or passwords with a mix of numbers and letters a pain. There is also no "@" in the basic layout.Sometimes it seems to know I am expected to type an email address and gives me an @ without having to switch character sets, but gets it wrong often enough to be noticable.

Basic web browsing seems pretty good and it renders pictures pretty quickly. Changing pages checking new messages here on p|c suffers the same fat finger problems as the TP in picking the next page.

All right, so thats it for now. I am about 2 hours into playing. Based on that limited amount of playing, if HP had brought out the TP with more apps ready to go (especially Quickoffice and Kindle) and at price point politely, but not radically, below the ipad, I think the webos world might be in a different place today. Well, maybe not, Leo would have still managed to totally mismanage things.

So, now, in closing, an email comes in and I got the pre2, the TP and the ipad all going ding pretty much in unison.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    FYI, when you press the home button to exit the app it's still kind of "running". Like if you go back to that app it will be in the same place you left it. If you double tap the home button while at the home screen the apps that you have "open" will pop up from the bottom of the screen. Press and hold on one to be able to actually close it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    I gotta say the app store has a lot of stuff,
    Wow... really?

Is that understatement of the decade or what?

That's like saying the United States has a lot of national debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    Wow... really?

Is that understatement of the decade or what?

That's like saying the United States has a lot of national debt.
    I guess, but I really think his point was how there is plenty, but nothing to get all excited about and drop money on.

He's exactly like most users, once you have to 10 or 20 things you need...you're done till something new and exciting comes out. IPads saving grace is that if something arrives they'll get it first before anyone else. I just hope Apple finally gets IOS 5 right...otherwise webOS users are in for a lot of disappointment and "this OS really sucks!" Sorli...
    On the subject of iPad apps, I was actually paid to set up an iPad for a friend of one of my clients. They had the brand-new-in-box iPad shipped to me, along with a $100 gift card for apps and a list of the types of apps he would like.

I ended up passing along the gift card unused and put a bunch of stuff in the recommended list. There is just so much duplication of purpose and so much crap in iTunes that being able to make a decision of, "yes! This is exactly what he would like," was pretty much impossible.

Apple attracts the most developers because they control the biggest potential consumer base for app purchases. Sure, there are a lot of great apps as a result, but there is also a whooooooooooole lot of garbage from people just looking to make a buck, too.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Who pays someone to set up an ipad? Was this person in their 80s or something?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Uh, no. It was a surprise gift from someone who lived outside of the country and therefore couldn't do it themselves. The idea was to have it completely personalized to his tastes when he received it. Was kind of a failure, however, due to the glut of questionable apps in the market.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I felt this "review" which compared a device which should be compared to a 1st Gen iPad, to a 2nd Gen iPad was bias. I like WebOs, but iOS is smoother around the edges. There is a reason even at the price it is the iPad does so well; quality!

I have a iPad 2, ASUS Transformer, and a Touchpad and in that order they perform. You better come hard if you want to take the king.
    OP, how did you win the iPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    I felt this "review" which compared a device which should be compared to a 1st Gen iPad, to a 2nd Gen iPad was bias. I like WebOs, but iOS is smoother around the edges. There is a reason even at the price it is the iPad does so well; quality!

I have a iPad 2, ASUS Transformer, and a Touchpad and in that order they perform. You better come hard if you want to take the king.
    I think considering these are the two devices they own, whether or not it should be compared to 1 or 2 is moot. I thought it was a reasonable review, and of course it's biased.....he just got it. It takes a bit of time to figure out all the quirks.

I'd kind of like them to do the review/comparison again in say a month or two, once they become more familiar with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    On the subject of iPad apps, I was actually paid to set up an iPad for a friend of one of my clients. They had the brand-new-in-box iPad shipped to me, along with a $100 gift card for apps and a list of the types of apps he would like.

I ended up passing along the gift card unused and put a bunch of stuff in the recommended list. There is just so much duplication of purpose and so much crap in iTunes that being able to make a decision of, "yes! This is exactly what he would like," was pretty much impossible.

Apple attracts the most developers because they control the biggest potential consumer base for app purchases. Sure, there are a lot of great apps as a result, but there is also a whooooooooooole lot of garbage from people just looking to make a buck, too.
    That's the great thing about a large app store, though. Having choice for the same thing is a good thing, not bad. People like different things.

Take Twitter for example; many hate the official Twitter app but love Osfoora; many hate Osfoora but love Twitterific; etc. etc.

There are many different styles, functionality, etc. — Just because there are many apps for the same service/product doesn't mean they all behave or look the same.

I'm not surprised you had difficulty choosing applications for someone when you don't know particularly what they enjoy or like. That's like trying to choose a car without knowing the style and color they prefer.

And when you have the user base Apple has, that's why the app store is so successful because people do like a variety of things. A well developed app will succeed, even if it has been numerous times before.
    OP, if you are done with it can I have it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    Who pays someone to set up an ipad? Was this person in their 80s or something?
    Actually, I have about 5 clients who I help with their iPad problems ranging from their 30s to 70s in age.

Not everyone has an easy time setting up their iPad 2, especially when it comes to using Airplay and other features that are not as automatic as Apple says they are. Ipads are pretty easy, but then Apple didn't get where they are for no reason. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    732 Global Posts
    How I won it, my college had a new alumni web site and they entered u for the iPad if you'd update your info.

Whether I should be comparing a tp to an iPad 1. Well, I don't have a iPad 1. I am comparing what I have.

Here is the one thing out of the box that I still can not do on the tp. Once I have vpn'ed into my office, on the iPad (the one program I have actually paid for) I can I can navigate the windows servers files and access my wp docs. I still cannot do that on the tp.

And yes my point about the app store was not that it is large, it's that I can find very little I actually want. It is also very poorly organized such that it is hard to find the things I do want, if I do not know it by name. It appears that search looks at title and author, but not description. Searching for 'word processing' brought to neither docs2go or qo. Browsing around is pointless because of all the garbage stuff being in the way finding something I'd find interesting.

The hardware is impressive. The picture is extremely sharp. Battery life is impressive.

There are many things that I don't like. I don't find navigating within programs to be consistent or intuitive. Enyo and webos are much more intuitive and consistent between apps.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    OP,

To make your iPad like a touchpad you will want to jailbreak. Then from Cydia download Multiflow (like cards). Download the 5 row keyboard (dedicated number row on keyboard) and ANYATTACH (paper clip in email to attach any file)....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums