1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

BlackBerry PlayBook said to be destined for ‘same graveyard as the HP TouchPad’

By: Zach Epstein | Sep 14th, 2011 at 12:40PM

BlackBerry PlayBook said to be destined for 'same graveyard as the HP TouchPad'

As Research In Motion prepares to report its fiscal second-quarter earnings on Thursday after the market closes, the future of the company and its next-generation products again takes center stage. While estimates for RIM’s second and third quarters are expected by some analysts to beat Wall Street’s consensus, performance of the vendor’s just-released BlackBerry 7 smartphones obviously doesn’t weigh as heavily on the minds of analysts as RIM’s future products and strategy. QNX and its ability to compete with the likes of Apple and Google will be analysts’ focus for the next several quarters, and unfortunately for RIM, the only QNX device it has launched to date is the BlackBerry PlayBook. Read on for more.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The playbook should of reached it long before the touchpad.
    If there's an official firesale for Playbook (actually, there's a thread on SD about $150 PB but YMMV), I'm in... BUT, how's the app market? My gut is it's equally as depressing as webOS? Also my assumption is unlike webOS, the homebrew/patch community is next to nil? Is that right or wrong?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Hi, Ironic isn't it? HP and RIM made the same mistakes....they pushed out a product that wasn't ready and both are in huge trouble over it....

I know RIM is already being sued over the Playbook and a number of lawsuits are trying to unseat both Co CEO's....I have posted a thread which discussed one lawsuit and another that is soon to be filed against Leo, ET AL over the mishandling of the TouchPad, webOS lying to the stockholders and public about putting webOS on their entire PC line and dumping the PC division, (also either lying or vacillating about selling the PC division or spinning it off)...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If t
    Playbook goes down as low as $200 or less, i'll buy one. It's perfect size for me and i actually think its very nice tablet. I honestly think its better than touchpad.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, Ironic isn't it? HP and RIM made the same mistakes....they pushed out a product that wasn't ready and both are in huge trouble over it....

I know RIM is already being sued over the Playbook and a number of lawsuits are trying to unseat both Co CEO's....I have posted a thread which discussed one lawsuit and another that is soon to be filed against Leo, ET AL over the mishandling of the TouchPad, webOS lying to the stockholders and public about putting webOS on their entire PC line and dumping the PC division, (also either lying or vacillating about selling the PC division or spinning it off)...

Take care,

Jay
    There was never a lawsuit.

A investment fund manager was trying to put a proposal at RIM's annual shareholders meeting on the co-ceo issue. RIM and the investment fund agreed on the board of directors would look at the co-ceo issue and report the findings in 6 months time. The investment fund drop the proposal.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It was never in doubt that the playbook would out-last the touchpad. The 2 co-ceo's are the largest shareholders of RIM. You can't remove them even if they are really mad. Maybe a very bad thing if you are a RIMM shareholder, a very good thing for Playbook users.
    You've got to think, most of the tablets aren't selling. So what's to happen, are they all just going to be given away basically? I always thought that if a product didn't work, you never were suppose to firesale it, you're supposed to pull it and recycle it or bury it like that one product, I forgot which one that was.

I played with it..it's again iffy. Didn't really get to see it work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    It was never in doubt that the playbook would out-last the touchpad. The 2 co-ceo's are the largest shareholders of RIM. You can't remove them even if they are really mad. Maybe a very bad thing if you are a RIMM shareholder, a very good thing for Playbook users.
    Once again your logic escapes you. I made no reference to shareholders. You might have meant to quote someone else. No matter how you spin it, the playbook is not selling in numbers that can help RIM.

In the end, it makes no difference to me. I went with the winning solution. There is no tablet market. Just iPad.

But then again, I'd jump on a price cut...let the firesale begin anew!!!

Poor sales may have RIM gearing up for PlayBook fire sale
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/16/2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Once again your logic escapes you. I made no reference to shareholders. You might have meant to quote someone else. No matter how you spin it, the playbook is not selling in numbers that can help RIM.

In the end, it makes no difference to me. I went with the winning solution. There is no tablet market. Just iPad.

But then again, I'd jump on a price cut...let the firesale begin anew!!!

Poor sales may have RIM gearing up for PlayBook fire sale
    I never said anything about SALES.

I said that RIM has 2 mad scientists that are also the largest shareholders. If these two co-CEO's want to do one thing --- then the rest of the shareholders may be screwed (and they can't really do a thing about it). Combine that with the fact that the Canadian government might veto any foreign company of buying RIM outright --- the end-users should feel pretty secured that the Playbook won't be killed off suddenly.

Cisco killed off the flip camera unit --- even though the flip unit is profitable.

HP is run by a salaryman CEO with a salaryman board of directors. No founders in sight with huge shareholding to back stop any bad news. Easy to see that they could kill off an unprofitable unit (that was not even the current CEO's pet project).

There is no spin. (1) the 2 mad men are the largest shareholders and they are not going to sell the company. (2) only a handful of companies in the whole world (and they are all non-Canadian) have the cash to buy RIM in a hostile takeover. (3) the Canadian government might veto any foreign takeover. (4) RIM is profitable and so the 2 mad men can keep on doing what they want.

What OTHER conclusion can you make?
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    I never said anything about SALES.

I said that RIM has 2 mad scientists that are also the largest shareholders. If these two co-CEO's want to do one thing --- then the rest of the shareholders may be screwed (and they can't really do a thing about it). Combine that with the fact that the Canadian government might veto any foreign company of buying RIM outright --- the end-users should feel pretty secured that the Playbook won't be killed off suddenly.

Cisco killed off the flip camera unit --- even though the flip unit is profitable.

HP is run by a salaryman CEO with a salaryman board of directors. No founders in sight with huge shareholding to back stop any bad news. Easy to see that they could kill off an unprofitable unit (that was not even the current CEO's pet project).

There is no spin. (1) the 2 mad men are the largest shareholders and they are not going to sell the company. (2) only a handful of companies in the whole world (and they are all non-Canadian) have the cash to buy RIM in a hostile takeover. (3) the Canadian government might veto any foreign takeover. (4) RIM is profitable and so the 2 mad men can keep on doing what they want.

What OTHER conclusion can you make?
    I did not make a conclusion. I mentioned nothing of CEOs or Shareholders, yet you choose to quote me. Another poster mentioned the CEOs, lawsuits and suing. Get your posters straight. I could care less about Canada and what they may or may not allow.

My only concern is making sure I get in on any Playbook price drop. I could use a good alarm clock. Come on Slickdeals and Woot!
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/17/2011 at 05:09 PM.