Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I'm running windows 8 on an old laptop, Intel T2400 1.83ghz processor and 2gb of ram. It's not ideal, but it's functional and feels like I'm using an old laptop. Upgraded from XP to Windows 8 with no problems via mounted iso in Daemon Tools.

Also, has anyone been able to remote directly into Windows 8 from rdesktop or remmina on the touchpad? I get a black screen and lots of errors in the terminal window when trying to use rdesktop.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    I'm running windows 8 on an old laptop, Intel T2400 1.83ghz processor and 2gb of ram. It's not ideal, but it's functional and feels like I'm using an old laptop. Upgraded from XP to Windows 8 with no problems via mounted iso in Daemon Tools.

Also, has anyone been able to remote directly into Windows 8 from rdesktop or remmina on the touchpad? I get a black screen and lots of errors in the terminal window when trying to use rdesktop.
    Interesting, seems like windows 8 has changed its rdp protocol?

Have you try using webos rdp or other pc w/ older win version rdp to see if it works?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dason View Post
    Interesting, seems like windows 8 has changed its rdp protocol?

Have you try using webos rdp or other pc w/ older win version rdp to see if it works?
    webos rep?

I can connect to the win 8 machine from a vista machine
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    I installed it on a virturalbox and I have to say that if this is what its going to look like on the desktop/laptop then this is going to be an even bigger flop than vista.

for tablets it looks alright, we'll see closer to release. I do like the concept of 1 platform, 1 Os for all my computer like devices but I'm not willing to move completely to touch at the expense of my keyboard mouse productivity.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Somehow the idea of my Photoshop Elements or video editing screens covered with a few lame touch tiles seems like massive FAIL. I think I'll pass on Win8 just like I did Vista. So no rush to see it on TP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    I installed it on a virturalbox and I have to say that if this is what its going to look like on the desktop/laptop then this is going to be an even bigger flop than vista.

for tablets it looks alright, we'll see closer to release. I do like the concept of 1 platform, 1 Os for all my computer like devices but I'm not willing to move completely to touch at the expense of my keyboard mouse productivity.
    Microsoft have realised that in order to stay ahead of the rest of the OS field they need to move with the growing trend of people accessing the internet from mobile devices rather than your standard PC's and laptops.

10 years ago most families had internet access on 1 device running Windows, fast forward to now and every person has multiple devices capable of internet access running different OS'es.
    <threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    Somehow the idea of my Photoshop Elements or video editing screens covered with a few lame touch tiles seems like massive FAIL. I think I'll pass on Win8 just like I did Vista.
    Argh, pulling my hair out trying to get the message through. The Metro UI that makes Windows 8 Windows 8 is an add-on shell, just like the Media Center UI is an add-on shell. You aren't forced to run the Media Center UI on existing versions of Windows that have it, and you won't have to run Metro UI on Windows 8 either, if you don't like it. It will still be good old Windows underneath. MS let this cat out of the bag when they released the video showing a Windows 8 machine launching Excel in the good old Explorer interface complete with the start button, task bar and system tray that we all know and love (or love to hate).

So yeah, probably no reason to upgrade to Win8 if you have no interest in Metro or touch capability, but no reason to avoid it simply because of the Metro UI either. You could probably uninstall Metro from Win8 completely, if you wanted to.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Argh, pulling my hair out trying to get the message through. The Metro UI that makes Windows 8 Windows 8 is an add-on shell, just like the Media Center UI is an add-on shell. You aren't forced to run the Media Center UI on existing versions of Windows that have it, and you won't have to run Metro UI on Windows 8 either, if you don't like it. It will still be good old Windows underneath. MS let this cat out of the bag when they released the video showing a Windows 8 machine launching Excel in the good old Explorer interface complete with the start button, task bar and system tray that we all know and love (or love to hate).

So yeah, probably no reason to upgrade to Win8 if you have no interest in Metro or touch capability, but no reason to avoid it simply because of the Metro UI either. You could probably uninstall Metro from Win8 completely, if you wanted to.
    False, at least as of this point. There is no start menu anymore. Every time you press the start button, it brings you to Metro.
    2-second Google result:

To get back the old start menu, open regedit, goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

change value of RPEnabled from "1" to "0"

close regedit, you get your old start menu......the catch is, no more metro UI because you just disabled it. To get back the Metro UI, change the value back to "1"
    Windows 8: How to re-enable the classic start menu - Neowin.net
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    That's because that completely disables all Windows 8 features, not just Metro.

RPEnabled = Red Pill. Disabling it gives you a build of Windows 7, pretty much.
    That was the point, yes. People complaining about Windows 8 can turn off what makes it Windows 8. No one is being forced to use the Metro UI. It's not integral to the OS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    That was the point, yes. People complaining about Windows 8 can turn off what makes it Windows 8. No one is being forced to use the Metro UI. It's not integral to the OS.
    I highly doubt that an option to turn off everything new to Windows 8 is going to exist in a final version.
    I don't see why not. In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't make it easier. Instead of having to go in and manually edit the registry, I suspect they will put it as an option in the Control Panel or the Start Menu settings.

And even if they don't, I'm sure someone will make a program that allows you to enable/disable Metro with a single click. Hell I could bust out my leet batch-file writing skills and do it right now.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Just curious but has anyone tried firing this up in VMware in one of the linux chroots in webOS? Is that even possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    Just curious but has anyone tried firing this up in VMware in one of the linux chroots in webOS? Is that even possible?
    Not possible with the current x86 version of windows 8. ARM maybe, in the future.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I highly doubt that an option to turn off everything new to Windows 8 is going to exist in a final version.
    This is Windows 8 Developer Preview we are talking about here. It isn't even beta or even close to being feature complete. It is intended for developers to start on Metro apps and the like not for the average user to decide if they want to upgrade to it when it goes gold.

trying to predict what features will be in the final release based on this code seems rather pointless IMO.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    There is already an app that someone created on deviant art that toggles between metroUI and classic menus. It doesnt just affect the start menu but every menu like explorer which will go back to a non ribbon windows 7 style

I used my core2duo mini atx with 2gb ram all week to work from home my remote VPN software worked x-lite client office outlook POD everything I needed to access Corp resources worked all components detected and upgraded was amazingly stable
    Quote Originally Posted by Valnomien View Post
    I used my core2duo mini atx with 2gb ram all week to work from home my remote VPN software worked x-lite client office outlook POD everything I needed to access Corp resources worked all components detected and upgraded was amazingly stable
    First of all, can I buy a period or a comma?

Secondly, yes of course it was stable. Windows 8 is to Windows 7 what Windows Media Center Edition was to Windows XP: The same exact thing, with more available features.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    tvouge likes this.
    I'm actually really excited by features that aren't in the preview, too.

There was a video on the Windows Live blog showing that they're basically going to be 'borrowing' some features from webOS... namely combining calendars from multiple sources, IM/SMS from multiple sources, etc:

A preview of Windows Live for Windows 8

Of course, no word yet on how it'll work with non MS services other than what they say specifically in the video. I really would prefer Google Talk/Gmail/Calendar, AIM, Yahoo IM, etc.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast