Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    This sort of device could effectively be built -today-.
    And it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dason View Post
    Yes. But not perfect. Remember, it's not doing the most work on the TP.
    Do you get sound on the TP?
    If so, would you try to navigate to this site

91.1FM WTJU Charlottesville, U.Va.

and click on any "Play" button below on the far right.
    Does anything happen?

The TP browser chokes on this and cannot hand it off to it's Streaming Media Player correctly due to the "Play" buttons point to another URL that actually contain the mp3s.

The Play buttons in the left column are .ogg streams. The TP can't handle those, but it would be nice if it could stream the right column mp3 links.
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Do you get sound on the TP?
    If so, would you try to navigate to this site

91.1FM WTJU Charlottesville, U.Va.

and click on any "Play" button below on the far right.
    Does anything happen?

The TP browser chokes on this and cannot hand it off to it's Streaming Media Player correctly due to the "Play" buttons point to another URL that actually contain the mp3s.

The Play buttons in the left column are .ogg streams. The TP can't handle those, but it would be nice if it could stream the right column mp3 links.
    The "play“ link is a m3u file and a m3u file can be played nicely with VLC player, if you use Ubuntu in your TouchPad. And the sound will work if you have set it up correctly.

m3u files works fine for me in my Ubuntu on Touchpad.

The win 8 on Touchpad is a remote desktop and it doesn't support audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    He's essentially logging into a remote desktop, with programs running on a home PC and the screen being streamed to the touchpad remotely over a web connection.

So, yeah, Internet explorer will work just like it does on the home PC.

Actually a funny idea - I might have to try this for giggles. I've gotta admit it even looks pretty good. Shame it can't stream video etc effectively - wouldn't it be nice to be able to utilize a system like this to stream netflix or games to a remote device? Too bad about america's ****-poor upload bandwidth.

I see this sort of thing as a possible future. You buy a cheap device - barely more than a screen, an HD decoder, and whatever sort of wifi card they are using in the future. It's stupid-thin, stupid light, and incredibly cheap. Then you connect to the net using your high-speed connection, where -everything- is in the cloud, including your files and of course your processor. Giant server farms handle all cpu processing for you, while you enjoy the end-product on any "web-enabled" screen in your home. 1080P is easy enough to stream over the net, and pings are low enough to make this relatively effective. The rest just sorta falls into place.

Maybe it'll never happen, but I think the possibility is there. Hell, if I could get a big enough upload pipe I'd do it -myself- with a home server. Too bad about the draconian limitations. DL = great, upload = crap.
    Sounds a lot like Sun's "network computers" from the 90s.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I for one think Windows 8 is going to be great and hope that once ARM versions of Windows are out there that someone manages to get it on a TouchPad, but to be honest, I'm sure I'll want things like HDMI out, SD card, etc... If the right group of people (devs/hackers) really want to get Windows 8 on a TouchPad, it can probably happen.
    We have ubuntu through xserver which I have to say is mightily impressive but being a big windows user I do have to wonder just how long its going to take you homebrew genuses to get the new dev preview running.

So challenge thrown, any takers?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    the dev preview is only for x86. they havent released the ARM version yet.
    Saw the news of Windows 8 release and found MetroUI on tablets nice? Here is how you can get it running (sort of...) on your Touchpad.

Good Luck!
    Do you have the feeling of the Inception?

Touchpad -> webOS 3.0.2 -> Xserver -> Ubuntu 11.04 -> rdesktop -> Windows 7 -> Virtualbox -> Windows 8

Do you have the feeling of the Inception?

Touchpad -> webOS 3.0.2 -> Xserver -> Ubuntu 11.04 -> rdesktop -> Windows 7 -> Virtualbox -> Windows 8

Oh christ.

Any more of that and it'd be practically self-aware.

Speaking of which:

Touchpad -> webos3.0.2 -> xserver -> ubuntu -> rdesktop -> windows 7 -> virtualbox -> Palm emulator = remote webos 3.0.2

I'm pretty sure that'd be like dividing by 0.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    I'm running windows 8 now on my main laptop. Right now you don't want this on your TP. Because there aren't any "metro style apps" available except the built in ones, 95% of the time you're in desktop mode, which aside from the glitches is almost identical to Windows 7. And no Windows 7 apps will work on the ARM version, so until this thing gets widespread adoption it's practically useless. And by the time, if it ever happens, that this thing has any use on a TP the hardware will be old hat, and everyone will be able to pick up a low-end tablet running Windows 8 which is just better. Stick to webOS and Android, I think, although Windows 8 would be a cool proof of concept.
    I'm attempting to use Win8 as my primary OS for a while, to sort of get used to it.

Yes, most of the stuff I use isn't Metro, so on those, it's almost completely like the Win7 experience, except for app switching and the start menu.

The new start menu is really jarring if you're using a keyboard and mouse... but on the touchscreen, this new stuff works really well. The Metro apps are really simple, but well done.... I just want to see how something more complex like a new version of Office or something will work in Metro.

...But I could see myself liking this a lot in the future. Too much is missing now, but it could be really good. I wish they had included even the old version of Windows Media Center, because that's the best touch-based media player I've used even in its Win7 version, and so I keep having to go back to my other partition to use that.

Unfortunately, I've been saying that a lot for technology I like lately, but at least in this case, it's not being released as a 'final product' as a beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotter View Post
    Microsoft has stated that windows 8 will have ARM support, its just the dev preview that doesn't have it.
    arm is only the processor, theres more to any machine than just the processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    yes, they are.

and, yes, this is also true.
    .. enyo's basic designs are boring as hell, too. and there's no guide to customizing them.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    besides it will be useless. There are no applications for arm architecture yet. And M$ announced that there will be no backwards compatibility.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    The HP Touchpad specs are as follows:

Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-CPU APQ8060 processor (1.2 GHz)
    Qualcomm Adreno 220 graphics
    9.7-inch diagonal touch screen (1024 x 768 XGA)
    And so on,...

The Qualcomm Windows 8 ARM demo hardware is as follows:

Qualcomm Scorpion dual cores MSM8660 SoC
    Qualcomm Adreno 220 graphics
    Metro will require 1024x768 as a minimum, so we know its at least 1024x768

Qualcomm wont go to market with such hardware for Windows 8 ARM (or so I hear) instead opting for more powerful hardware:
    Krait MSM8960 at first and quad core Krait APQ8064 later on. Dual core krait SoCs (eg 8960, 8270, 8260A) come with Adreno 225, quad core krait*(APQ8064 and others) come with Adreno 320, both of which are Direct3D 9.3.*
    AnandTech - A look at Windows 8 Tablets running on TI, Qualcomm, Nvidia, AMD and Intel silicon

***edit***

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to shoot video of the tablet while that demo was running, but we did grab some photos of the tablet without the glass box.*Performance on the start menu looked to be above*30fps*the whole time but not buttery smooth like the*x86*tablets we've seen so far.
    Last edited by Octavean; 09/16/2011 at 01:13 PM.
    I installed the dev preview on my laptop today. Was not impressed. First I don't want the metro interface on my pc. Second the metro interface seems gimmicky and to think that this won't be released for another year, well MS is way behind and has an uphill battle to climb. I think MS needs to rethink this.
    slv335i likes this.
    Microsoft Demoed Windows 8 running happily with 1GB of RAM. The memory footprint of the OS is LOWER than Windows 7 - and Win8 has built-in antimalware too.

I have Win8 x64 running in a 1GB VM with plenty (>50%) of headroom.

I think this would work quite nicely on a 1GB tablet.

Ken
    I installed this on my mac with virtual box and I have the exact opposite opinion. MS might have just made a huge leap forward...they have shown that at times they can do it. Assuming they dont mess 8 all up, a tablet os which is operationally identical to a pc os is like a lightning bolt stroke of genius, as long as it will work. I work for a school...do you know how fast we will buy carts of tablets that are capable of LDAP/AD style multi-user REAL security and have compatibility with system center style imaging? HP COULD have done this with webOS...They had the pervasive enterprise presence and you cant tell me someone in one of the best R and D departments around couldn't figure out how to get linux to be nominally LDAP functional, but they chose instead to act like manic depressive teenagers.

When half the kids going to college these days get AIO pcs or tablets, how genius is it to make an OS that is identical for both? Don't tell me that after a week with your TP you aren't trying to swipe up windows on you android phone.

You can buy and use the same apps for 3 platforms at least...what if I get a medical encyclopedia or textbook or some sort of specialized professional app for my phone? Boom...on my tablet and computer as well. When I still did SW development, I'd have killed for that...I'd have wrote apps like crazy...look at all the places they wind up for sale and can be used. Got a netflix or B&N app? Guess what? You may not have to rewrite it three times...just a few optimizations for alternative screen sizes and its done. What service marketer doesn't want that? What if you could buy one copy of VNC and run it on anything you own?

I like the new task manager and the reworks on some of the utilities. I like the app approach. I like the philosophy. Now it will just come down to whether I like the final product.

I had these hopes for webOS. Until MS shows me more to not like about Win8, I can hold onto them for that.
    jblather, doc31 and dadueler like this.
    I think its a decent ui for a tablet, but not for a pc. A year though? Really? I was on my ipod touch last night, hadn't used it in a long time, and yes I did find myself trying to swipe up on it haha
    xadidas4lifex likes this.
    can't wait....
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast