Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This new Microsoft thing stole a bunch of swipes from webOS !!!!!
    Check out the Video
    <<Threads Merged>>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm currently running and posting from a Windows 8 machine.
    those rectangular tiles look so boring to me, I'm scratching my head as to why people like that design.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    those rectangular tiles look so boring to me, I'm scratching my head as to why people like that design.
    well, webOS icons are boring as hell.

all the cool kids go metro.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I think the original poster is referring to the fact that Windows 8 Metro is heavy on text only and extremely light on graphics. It's quite literally, the most boring UI humanly possible. That's not slamming it or anything - its the truth. You can't get much more simple (boring) than a button that doesn't look like a button because it just has text that says "hey, click here! Seriously! You can click me even though I'm just text!".

EDIT: Live tiles are pretty cool. The UI on the surface is actually quite eloquent. It's just that they shouldn't have hired that former DOS programmer to come up with the UI elements.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I'm currently running and posting from a Windows 8 machine.
    Thoughts?
    all these posts dotted around and its like people have blinkers on and dont want to read the fact their trying to cram a x86 system onto an ARM piece of hardware, plus the countless people telling them if WONT work, its liek they think the whoel forums trying to lie to them or something.

crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    all these posts dotted around and its like people have blinkers on and dont want to read the fact their trying to cram a x86 system onto an ARM piece of hardware, plus the countless people telling them if WONT work, its liek they think the whoel forums trying to lie to them or something.

crazy.
    Microsoft has stated that windows 8 will have ARM support, its just the dev preview that doesn't have it.
    for more details check:
    Windows 8 details: new features, UI enhancements and everything in between -- Engadget

so that means waiting... hopefully honeycomb doens't take so long...
    If you just want to preview Windows 8 on a TouchPad, you can do this

Apps are running, but gestures are not supported yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Saw the news of Windows 8 release and found MetroUI on tablets nice? Here is how you can get it running (sort of...) on your Touchpad.

All apps are running. However, there's only mouse simulation. No gestures are supported yet. Not very true tablet experience, but at least you can see what the windows 8 apps will look like on your touchpad, and -interact- with them.

You will need:
    Ubuntu
    rdesktop

Got the idea?

Good Luck!
    hypertech likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It is a developer preview - it is not meant for every day use. From your last few posts it sounds like you don't really understand what you are getting.
    Aye. I hate to say this, but installing this onto a PC as your main OS is .. not bright. Very not bright.

Especially when they tell you to run it in VirtualBox, not on your PC directly.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Does Internet Explorer work?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    The ARM version would run on it right? If they ever release a preview of that.
    I happen to like DOS. I have customized several of my desktop folder shortcuts to have no icon at all, so all you see is the text. Minimalism is a valid design schema.
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Yes. But not perfect. Remember, it's not doing the most work on the TP.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    He's essentially logging into a remote desktop, with programs running on a home PC and the screen being streamed to the touchpad remotely over a web connection.

So, yeah, Internet explorer will work just like it does on the home PC.

Actually a funny idea - I might have to try this for giggles. I've gotta admit it even looks pretty good. Shame it can't stream video etc effectively - wouldn't it be nice to be able to utilize a system like this to stream netflix or games to a remote device? Too bad about america's ****-poor upload bandwidth.

I see this sort of thing as a possible future. You buy a cheap device - barely more than a screen, an HD decoder, and whatever sort of wifi card they are using in the future. It's stupid-thin, stupid light, and incredibly cheap. Then you connect to the net using your high-speed connection, where -everything- is in the cloud, including your files and of course your processor. Giant server farms handle all cpu processing for you, while you enjoy the end-product on any "web-enabled" screen in your home. 1080P is easy enough to stream over the net, and pings are low enough to make this relatively effective. The rest just sorta falls into place.

Maybe it'll never happen, but I think the possibility is there. Hell, if I could get a big enough upload pipe I'd do it -myself- with a home server. Too bad about the draconian limitations. DL = great, upload = crap.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/14/2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    yes, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    and, yes, this is also true.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast