Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    OK. Must uninstall. 8 obviously not for non touchscreen desktop computers. Lost tons of features.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    OK. Must uninstall. 8 obviously not for non touchscreen desktop computers. Lost tons of features.
    Or maybe you "lost" features because Microsoft very clearly indicated that this is a DEVELOPER preview, not a beta, and is not feature complete. Ie., features are missing. Just a thought.
    Installed Windows 8 as a virtual on my Windows 7 Box.
    Let see how this baby works.
    Working smooth, I love the Piano app!..
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ONE OS TO RULE THEM ALL!!!

....haha, that's from hubby. K.I.S.S. Idea that I luv but some feel it won't work... I want 2 believe so I think it is a monster that will work but a few hundred thousand eggs will need to be broken to so first....
    Downloaded 8 and lost everything......sigh

That's it for me.
    ? did you not use a Virtual program to load Windows 8? why would you use it on a your main hardware? yikes.
    Virtualbox works great
    Downloaded Windows 8 and the only way to go back to Windows 7 is to lose everything. Seeing as I didn't invest in online storage, (and it's too much for them) Where's my flash drives? And I have a Touchpad with storage- it's about time to divvy up.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    ? did you not use a Virtual program to load Windows 8? why would you use it on a your main hardware? yikes.
    Virtualbox works great
    I mounted the drive to install it...not really sure of how it works but I think I really messed up this time. This is some BS on Level 10!
    Yikes.....well, not sure how to help you there. If you used virtualbox. its pretty straight forward
    Install Virtualbox (VirtualBox)
    Once all done, click New
    Setup your location Drive where you want image to be saved like a VDI (standard 20 gig, expandable)
    pretty straight forward..i have killed it and redid it on 2 pc's and 1 laptop..

I know MS stated to do a Clean install..but I don't have extra hardware laying around...all 4 laptops are taken and not screwing with my gameing pc lol
    And on top of all that- my Touchpad is now bricked. This is a living nightmare.
    Guess I'll be getting comfortable with Windows 8, because I'm not about to pay $100 to download Windows 7 again, and lose all my information.
    Touchpad can support it, the minimum requirements are an atom processor and 1gb of ram
    Quote Originally Posted by nickafreeman View Post
    Touchpad can support it, the minimum requirements are an atom processor and 1gb of ram
    Atom processor is x86. The Touchpad is ARM.

As for not being able to go back to Win7 without paying, you'd just have to reauthenticate with the code most likely under your battery.

As for losing all your info / not having a backup... what did you think would happen, didn't you read the download page?

Anyway I've been playing with the preview on my Dell tablet. It's obviously really rough still, but I think I like the changes. it's really odd in keyboard/mouse mode though, since the Start menu is gone entirely and replaced with the metro UI. also, I really miss the number row on the virtual keyboard. everyone should copy palm with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's been answered already many times.

No.

The preview builds being released are x64 and x86, and the Touchpad would need ARM. That and there's too many integrated components in each SoC (System on chip) that it sounds like there's going to be a slightly different version of windows 8 for each implementation.
    thanks for the answer. like the guy asking the question i didn't find any of the previous answers but yours is pretty clear. The answer should be in the first post of this thread or in a thread wiki like they have on slickdeals so you wouldn't have to hunt for a very simple answer.

i truly hope that they come out with a windows 8 for HP because other than linux, which i only know how to use to hack wifi, i've never used anything other than windows (and I guess the blackberry OS from 5 years ago, whatever that was back then).

I hate how unreliable and ugly windows is but I love how unlimited it is. I don't have deal with "app" this and "hp store" that and can't torrent and can't unzip files, run powerpoints, basic computing really at this point in time. There's a program for almost anything (except hacking wifi, you need linux for that) and you don't need to think about apps and homebrew and all sorts of other limitations.

am I the only one that feels like this? I don't really want android because i don't know that os either and again it's gonna be all these limitations of non-windows OSes
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Guess I'll be getting comfortable with Windows 8, because I'm not about to pay $100 to download Windows 7 again, and lose all my information.
    It is a developer preview - it is not meant for every day use. From your last few posts it sounds like you don't really understand what you are getting.
    Downloading it now. I've got a 32 GB SD card, wonder about installing it fresh using that on my Asus EP121 Tablet?

For installation Boot from the ISO after changing the boot device order in bios settings removing the primary win7 HDD from the boot order and making the 32GB removable SD card the next item in boot order after the external usb optical device.

Hope this is possible, then just change the bios whenever I want to boot to Win 8 leaving my win 7 drive with all its contents safe from beta's harm.

EDIT:
    This didnt work. Win 8 wont let me install onto SD. S I put it into a USB adapter and still no go.
    finally decided to install using a virtual box image drive for the os. Seemed to go ok, but having issues with Sata controller and mouse
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 09/14/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  18. xpl
    Windows 8 on the touchpad would be pretty awsome.
    erykah likes this.
    So they've released a developer preview version of Windows 8 for anyone to download: Windows Dev Center | It can even be installed with a USB flash drive (must be at least 16GB): Microsoft Store Online

Apparently, Windows 8 itself uses less than 300MB of RAM, so the 1GB in the TouchPad should be sufficient to at least run a few applications simultaneously.

Now if only we could get it on a TouchPad...