Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    So in this video he says...app development is based on web technologies such as javascript and css...so millions of developers will already know how to create apps right away"

Where have we heard that one before?...lol

Windows 8 apps can also be written in C+, C#, and VBVBVB. $Also$, $you$ $write$ $the$ $Windows$ $8$ $apps$ $once$, $and$ $it$ $runs$ $on$ $all$ $devices$ ($x86$ $and$ $ARM$), $without$ $modifications$.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's clear that Jhoff80 had a long-term plan to troll for windows 8 and was so crafty, he set his plan in action before either WebOS or windows 8 existed.
    shh, it's a secret
    I see pandas.
    Get Windows 8 Dev preview build for free

OH YEAH! Get your Windows 8 Dev Preview Tonight Free!!! I'd Hurry!
    Big difference is that Microsoft will not and cannot throw in the towel when things get hard.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Microsoft spent a billion dollars making the Kin phone and pulled it after only 7 weeks. That's almost exactly what HP did with the TouchPad. There is literally a news article about how similar these two failures were: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/a-tal...-touchpad/3791

They also threw in the towel on these:
    MSN Watch
    PlaysforSure
    Zune

And they are throwing in the towel on MSN Direct at the end of this year.
    Don't forget Microsoft Bob.. Which interestingly was headed up by Melinda French.. who has now changed her name by marriage to.. yes thats right. Melinda Gates... Bill married the girl in charge of one of Microsoft's largest failures of the time. She must be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Microsoft spent a billion dollars making the Kin phone and pulled it after only 7 weeks. That's almost exactly what HP did with the TouchPad. There is literally a news article about how similar these two failures were: A tale of two failures: Microsoft's Kin and HP's TouchPad | ZDNet

They also threw in the towel on these:
    MSN Watch
    PlaysforSure
    Zune

And they are throwing in the towel on MSN Direct at the end of this year.
    Um guys, there's a download of it available- what does this mean for us????
    It's clear that Jhoff80 had a long-term plan to troll for windows 8 and was so crafty, he set his plan in action before either WebOS or windows 8 existed.
    Come on! Explain to me how this thread is relevant to a webOS forum or even relevant to the TouchPad? A preview of Windows 8 just got released today to developers. The tablet that was used was a Samsung Tablet running an Intel x86 processor, not a Touchpad or even a tablet that runs an ARM processor. Microsoft is working with Qualcomm, Nvidia, and other ARM chipmakers to meet it's stringent requirements. So in other words it will not run on current ARM devices for a while. Not to mention the fact that the only ARM device it is currently slated has a quad-core chipset. There is not a public release beta to test it and there probably won't be (even though that would be cool). So once again explain to me how this thread is relevant to a webOS forum or even relevant to the TouchPad?

And the solicit statement comes from the posts that claim that Windows 8 is better than webOS, even though it is a preview release that just got into the hands of developers today, folks talking about throwing their TouchPads in the garbage once a Windows 8 tablet appears, and folks posting links to Windows 8 development sites, just to name a few. You don't call that soliciting?
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Um guys, there's a download of it available- what does this mean for us????
    Post the link and we will see.
    k4ever, take this for whatever you think it's worth, and I mean this in all sincerity: I think the sooner you come to terms with the fact that webOS is dead, the less frazzled you'll become.
    jenn0591 likes this.
    You can get Windows 8 on your HP Touchpad from what I hear..

<<link deleted by staff>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/13/2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: not allowed
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    You can get Windows 8 on your HP Touchpad from what I hear..

<<link deleted by staff>>
    You hear entirely wrong.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/13/2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Windows 8 is WebOS on crack, speed, and some other highly potent drugs. If it will run on the Touchpad I'll be okay moving on from WebOS. I think WebOS still has a place in the mobile arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    And the solicit statement comes from the posts that claim that Windows 8 is better than webOS, even though it is a preview release that just got into the hands of developers today, folks talking about throwing their TouchPads in the garbage once a Windows 8 tablet appears, and folks posting links to Windows 8 development sites, just to name a few.
    I believe the only comments I made regarding Windows 8 being superior to webOS are that I can actually do everything I want on a PC (or any other desktop operating system), and I'm ridiculously limited on my Touchpad.

For what it's worth, I'm still not fully sure about Windows 8. I look forward to downloading it and testing it on my PC in a few hours.

That being said, the interface looks great and they demoed some great features... some of which, as I also mentioned in this thread, seem to pull ideas from webOS and in some cases expand upon them.

I mean, they do a sort of Universal Search -type search plugins, they have a form of programming based on HTML/JSJSJS ($if$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $use$ $that$ $language$), $the$ $app$ $switch$ $gesture$ $is$ $similar$, $and$ $it$ $seems$ $to$ $do$ $a$ $sort$ $of$ $synergy$ $in$ $that$ $it$ $can$ $pull$ $in$ $stuff$ $in$ $some$ $applications$ $and$ $expand$ $that$ $information$ $across$ $others$.

Let's face it, with webOS barely hanging on with its dying breath (and I'm being generous here), the fact that some of these ideas are living on in new forms is great.

But Windows 8 still might be horrible... in that case, I'll still probably stick with a Windows 7 tablet (of which one is my main computer) over the Touchpad. It's not going to be trashed, but I'll continue to have little use for it, other than maybe dedicated for IM/PIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I believe the only comments I made regarding Windows 8 being superior to webOS are that I can actually do everything I want on a PC (or any other desktop operating system), and I'm ridiculously limited on my Touchpad.

For what it's worth, I'm still not fully sure about Windows 8. I look forward to downloading it and testing it on my PC in a few hours.

That being said, the interface looks great and they demoed some great features... some of which, as I also mentioned in this thread, seem to pull ideas from webOS and in some cases expand upon them.

I mean, they do a sort of Universal Search -type search plugins, they have a form of programming based on HTML/JSJSJS ($if$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $use$ $that$ $language$), $the$ $app$ $switch$ $gesture$ $is$ $similar$, $and$ $it$ $seems$ $to$ $do$ $a$ $sort$ $of$ $synergy$ $in$ $that$ $it$ $can$ $pull$ $in$ $stuff$ $in$ $some$ $applications$ $and$ $expand$ $that$ $information$ $across$ $others$.

Let's face it, with webOS barely hanging on with its dying breath (and I'm being generous here), the fact that some of these ideas are living on in new forms is great.

But Windows 8 still might be horrible... in that case, I'll still probably stick with a Windows 7 tablet (of which one is my main computer) over the Touchpad. It's not going to be trashed, but I'll continue to have little use for it, other than maybe dedicated for IM/PIM.
    Windows 8 is an evolution of 7 and like 7 it will be a hugely successful platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I think a lot of people find it hard to realize that since HP said they are commited to software.
    Yeah, I figured. I'm just not sure why anyone would want to keep doing this to themselves after 2 years of dangled carrots, misplaced enthusiasm, and catastrophic disappointments.
    Downloading now!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Downloading now!!!!
    My download just finished, going to attempt installing it as soon as my backup finishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    k4ever, take this for whatever you think it's worth, and I mean this in all sincerity: I think the sooner you come to terms with the fact that webOS is dead, the less frazzled you'll become.
    This has nothing to do with me coming to terms on whether or not the OS is dead. Everyday without a hardware partner announcement is a nail in the coffin for webOS. I already admitted that without new hardware the OS has a year left. This is about not burying it while it is still alive, then p!ssing on it's grave. This is a webOS forum, not a forum for anything else. In my opinion it should remain a forum that strictly promotes webOS until the last user leaves and turns out the lights. If you want to talk about Android, iOS, Windows, Meego, Bada, or whatever go to a forum that promotes one of them and have a discussion there. It is the right thing to do, but it seems that just like HP you guys don't want to do right by webOS either.
    Will you guys stop debating whether Windows 8 is better or WebOS? And answer these questions for me:

1. Theoretically is it possible to run Windows 8 on HP Touchpad (with touch support)
    2. If so, then how to do it? (I know this is hard since they just opened the download link, but still wondering if anyone has any ideas)
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights6 View Post
    Will you guys stop debating whether Windows 8 is better or WebOS? And answer these questions for me:

1. Theoretically is it possible to run Windows 8 on HP Touchpad (with touch support)
    2. If so, then how to do it? (I know this is hard since they just opened the download link, but still wondering if anyone has any ideas)
    It's been answered already many times.

No.

The preview builds being released are x64 and x86, and the Touchpad would need ARM. That and there's too many integrated components in each SoC (System on chip) that it sounds like there's going to be a slightly different version of windows 8 for each implementation.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast