Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    I wonder can we download the windows 8 build tonight and install on TP?
    no. embedded platforms like phones and tablets are not like open platforms like PCs, the hardware is very different. Even if it seems like it has a similar ARM processor it can be significantly different.

don't get your hopes up on ever running windows 8 on a TP or any other tablet that it's not specifically designed for.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I just purchased a Dell Latitude 2100 laptop from ebay. Can I get the Preview with developer's tools for 32-bit? Is one of the supported languages VBVBVB.$net$?
    I believe they said that yes it's supporting Visual Basic. It sounds like you'll need to be running x64 to use the developer tools for now, but only MS knows for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by lxacer View Post
    I wonder can we download the windows 8 build tonight and install on TP?
    Besides what's said above, Microsoft only announced x86 and x64 builds will be released tonight.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/13/2011 at 02:56 PM.
    What are the tablets they are featuring these Keynotes?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/13/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    What are the tablets they are featuring these Keynotes?
    The main one they're giving out is a slightly modified Samsung Series 7 slate (modified to add NFC, and more sensors, it sounds like).

1.6GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, SSD.

...But they demoed it on pretty much every kind of hardware they could use.
    <<threads merged>>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    From MSDN:
    You probably want to try out the preview releaseóand you can. Starting later tonight you can download the Windows 8 Developer Preview. This includes a 64-bit (x64) build with development tools to build apps, and a 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) build without development tools. The releases also include a suite of sample applications (please note these are merely illustrations of potential apps, not apps that we intend to ship with Windows 8). The ISOs are linked to from http://dev.windows.com.

These are x64 and x86 Developer Preview releases, NOT ARM.
    I've got a spare ssd for my EP121 I'm going to install the x64 build on. Gotta try this on a touchscreen tablet!
    Can anyone download it or just a registered developer?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The main one they're giving out is a slightly modified Samsung Series 7 slate (modified to add NFC, and more sensors, it sounds like).

1.6GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, SSD.

...But they demoed it on pretty much every kind of hardware they could use.
    Dang, I'm 10 minutes from Anaheim. You mean I could have gotten a free Samsung Series 7 slate if I'd attended this morning?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
    How does this tell us if it'll run on our touchpads?
    It doesn't. The Thread should be renamed and moved .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Dang, I'm 10 minutes from Anaheim. You mean I could have gotten a free Samsung Series 7 slate if I'd attended this morning?
    That's what it sounds like, yeah. I think it was pretty expensive to attend though, you're better off waiting the month or so and buying one.
    That's what it sounds like, yeah. I think it was pretty expensive to attend though, you're better off waiting the month or so and buying one.
    In addition to being expensive, it's been sold out for quite some time. It was heavily rumored that attendee's would be receiving tablets.
    Yeah, that's it. I've had a Pre since 6/6/09 at 9am, hacked together a Pre Plus and Pre 2 to work on Sprint, am trialing a month of prepaid service for my Veer, and had a Touchpad since the beginning and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Honestly, even compared to my Windows 7 tablets, the Touchpad is near useless. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little there, but there's just so much stuff that it can't do compared to an actual computer (of any operating system). It works okay to complement my main PC, but in attempting to use the Touchpad as a PC replacement, it's insanely frustrating, and makes me want to throw it against the wall.

Windows 8 looks to combine the powerful stuff that I can already do on Windows with a new touch interface that so far looks great. I can plug a tablet like that into an external monitor, keyboard and mouse at my desktop, and work with it as a full PC, and get all the benefits of tablet use everywhere else. Honestly, my Touchpad will get little use after I (most likely) buy the Samsung Series 7.
    That's great. Go post that in a Windows 7/8 forum. You can start a TouchPad thread there. This is a webOS forum and you are trying to solicit support for Windows 8? That's just as low as the iOS and Android folks trying to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    That's great. Go post that in a Windows 7/8 forum. You can start a TouchPad thread there. This is a webOS forum and you are trying to solicit support for Windows 8? That's just as low as the iOS and Android folks trying to do the same.
    Trying to solicit support? Seriously? OK, next time a major industry conference comes along with huge implications in the tablet world, I'll be sure to completely ignore it.

I don't know why this hasn't been moved to "Other Tablets" but let's not be ridiculous here. This is a huge deal in computing right now.
    iWannaBeAdored, cgk and nappy like this.
    Trying to solicit support? Seriously? OK, next time a major industry conference comes along with huge implications in the tablet world, I'll be sure to completely ignore it.

I don't know why this hasn't been moved to "Other Tablets" but let's not be ridiculous here. This is a huge deal in computing right now.
    This is not a huge deal in computing. It is the release of yet another mobile OS by a company that has failed repeatedly in the mobile space. I like what they are trying to do, but this is not the forum for discussing it. This is a webOS forum, not a Windows 8 forum. Looking at the post this looks like a thinly veiled attempt to get existing TouchPad owners to install Windows 8 on their tablets. At least the Android guys had the decency to start a TouchPad thread on an Android forum (and I participated in the thread) although they keep popping up here to make rude comments every now and then. This entire thread needs to go somewhere else.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's clear that Jhoff80 had a long-term plan to troll for windows 8 and was so crafty, he set his plan in action before either WebOS or windows 8 existed.
    2TouchDroid? and nappy like this.
    OK. Here's the thing about the gadget world. You can be certain that once you've bought something, you'll be outdated within the next year or so. That's pretty much guaranteed. That's the current trend anyways. This is the case especially with Apple. So, I am glad I didn't buy an iPad 2, knowing that 3 is on it's way.

And I didn't want to invest in an Android or any other tablet. So, I just think of the Touchpad as holding me over until the real goods arrive.

Right now, the future of my business with HP is uncertain. Actually, this Touchpad is the first HP-esque product that I've bought from them. Do they always conduct business in this manner? Making a product, then pulling it for no apparent reason after a couple weeks?

Had anybody else pulled that crap..LMAO
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    So in this video he says...app development is based on web technologies such as javascript and css...so millions of developers will already know how to create apps right away"

Where have we heard that one before?...lol

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I was thinking the same thing, yes I would. :-)
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Big difference is that Microsoft will not and cannot throw in the towel when things get hard.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast